Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Winter squash good (had my first of the season yesterday, delicata, although I have a pumpkin and a butternut ready to be prepared), pumpkin spice bad, other than in a pie on Thanksgiving. There's really nothing objectively bad about the mix of spices called pumpkin spice but that they are so overdone this time of the year, probably, so I admit to being curmudgeonly.

Bringing us back round to Thanksgiving and in particular my vested interested in the Canadian one, my best friend is indeed resuming her hosting of a big feed and it shall be happening in two weeks. I get to get my pumpkin pie on. I laughed when she asked me today if I could make it. Psychic.

IMO pumpkin pie is one of those things that must be made with fresh pumpkin rather than canned. It's a totally different taste.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is the September is too *kitten* early for pumpkin spice anything.

But, my pumpkins are ripe now.

The pumpkin farms around here are mostly opening this weekend. The cooler than normal summer has slowed the ripening but made for a bumper crop.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Winter squash good (had my first of the season yesterday, delicata, although I have a pumpkin and a butternut ready to be prepared), pumpkin spice bad, other than in a pie on Thanksgiving. There's really nothing objectively bad about the mix of spices called pumpkin spice but that they are so overdone this time of the year, probably, so I admit to being curmudgeonly.

Bringing us back round to Thanksgiving and in particular my vested interested in the Canadian one, my best friend is indeed resuming her hosting of a big feed and it shall be happening in two weeks. I get to get my pumpkin pie on. I laughed when she asked me today if I could make it. Psychic.

IMO pumpkin pie is one of those things that must be made with fresh pumpkin rather than canned. It's a totally different taste.

I don't think I've ever had it with fresh pumpkin and you've given me an idea of something new to try for Thanksgiving this year . . .
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Another unpopular (at least among those who'd rather not lift weights): Most people with back pain don't have a bad back, they have a weak back, and deadlifts will solve the problem.

[waits for the inevitable n=1 can't deadlift cries...]

This here is why I know I need to start getting more weight work in. I'm sticking with bodyweight for the moment, but I know I've got a weak back, weak arms, weak hands, and I know I need to fix that.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I don't think I've ever had it with fresh pumpkin and you've given me an idea of something new to try for Thanksgiving this year . . .

I warn you, you may never go back.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Another unpopular (at least among those who'd rather not lift weights): Most people with back pain don't have a bad back, they have a weak back, and deadlifts will solve the problem.

This is mostly true for me. When I strengthen core (not just back, I find abs are needed too), the back hurts more during the first week, but by end of weeks 2 and 3 there is significant improvement.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I totally agree about a weak back. That said, I do not lift weights and have never tried a deadlift, but my back is plenty strong anyway.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    katsheare wrote: »

This here is why I know I need to start getting more weight work in. I'm sticking with bodyweight for the moment, but I know I've got a weak back, weak arms, weak hands, and I know I need to fix that.

Pushups, planks and tricep dips will strengthen your back and core.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    *Raises hand timidly

Can I just check that nobody is contaminating these carrot cakes with walnuts?

Or coconut.

BLASPHEMER!!!
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    katsheare wrote: »

Pushups, planks and tricep dips will strengthen your back and core.

That is precisely where I am (happily! Good to know I'm on the right track) but the pushups are a massive challenge for me. I'm actually doing the September 60-minute Plank challenge (on target to get my 60 mins in for the month!) and I'm hoping that I'll be able to incorporate what I'm doing with plank into a pushup.

I'm also doing more Pilates, as I've been advised (by a physio I was seeing a couple months ago) it would help with shoulder strength, which I think is actually my biggest hurdle.

Once I feel confident with my own bodyweight, I'll move on to weights beyond me...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    *Raises hand timidly

NEOHgirl wrote: »
    *Raises hand timidly

Or coconut.

*hangs Head*

Not sure if I should put this here or in the Confessions thread but yes my Carrot cake has both nuts and coconut and pineapple...

and I have made 4 cakes in the past month...

1 carrot cake and 3 Chocolate Zuc cakes (1 extra chocolate cause it literally fell in the oven...as in rolled over cause silicon bundt pan)

but there has been a lot of birthdays in the family lately and celebrations...but I make pie too.

giphy.gif

Please send an invitation next time you make carrot cake.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    @SezxyStef, the no-coconut thing is just a personal preference due to texture. I hate dried coconut, and on the rare times I order carrot cake somewhere new and it comes to the table with coconut, it's incredibly disappointing, like you opened your favorite toy on Christmas morning only to find it's broken. @TR0berts, I'm OK with being a blasphemer if it means I don't have to ever eat dried or shredded coconut again.

Now all this talk of pies has reminded me that we are still 6 months away from Pi day, or Pie day, as my friends and I celebrate it. Sigh. Can you tell I have some teachers in my inner circle? And you can also keep your pumpkin pie - the texture of that is another thing I don't like. Give me an apple pie instead please, particularly if it has the oatmeal crisp topping and some caramel sauce on it, and I am a happy camper.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

Or muscle imbalance elsewhere in the posterior chain. I thought my back pain was from a wrong lift or something. That may have exacerbated it, but after a visit to the Dr, x-rays, and finally PT, it was determined that I have hypermobility and my glutes/core had weakend during and after my last pregnancy, all contributing to pelvic misalignment. A few months in PT and learning how to find and fix the misalignment properly and I'm back to heavy squats and deadlifts.

So I agree with you, most people with a "bad back" actually have something else going on that may be fixable.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

Maybe it just comes up a lot since this is a diet and fitness site?

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Depends. Low calorie compared to what. And what is the composition of the rest of said persons diet that day/week. Context and dose dude. Context and dose. It always amazes me how some people consistently struggle with this concept.

Cakes, cookies and other grain based desserts make up the highest percentage of calories out of 25 food groups in the US diet.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

70% of Americans are overweight/obese.

Yep, context and dose dude, context and dose.

It's great that 5-6 posters on this topic have no issue with controlling these item, not like that out in the real world.

No one said that there aren't many people who have their dosages wrong.
    Plus, I'd wager than "cake culture" makes up an extremely tiny percentage compared to little Debbie's, hostess, nabisco and Keebler that people stock their own cabinets with.

True, the amount of these items (cakes, cookies, brownies, etc, things I would consider part of the cake culture food group) eaten at work, may be relatively small for some, but the calories are the same regardless of where they are consumed.

What's really sad is grain based desserts, soda/energy drinks and alcohol, items with virtually no nutritional value, make up 3 of the top 5 sources of calories. Fruits and veggies (with the exception of fried white potatoes) don't even make the top 25 items
This discussion has been closed.