Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    100% inferior to German Stollen.

slider_01.jpg
    Agreed.

I am struggling at the moment- I have an Aldi nearby, and they have all the Christmas delicacies in. I've got through a bag of Lebkuchen already.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

I don't think that it is essential to be in shape if a PT has a track record of satisfied clients, high-level experiences (celebrity trainer/high school, college, pro athletic trainer, etc.), and/or some sort of injury/medical condition that impedes their own training. Otherwise, if the person is a 20-40 something year-old PT hustling business at the local gym, I would find it unsettling if he/she doesn't give the appearance that they actually follow their own advice and that their program results in a high level of fitness.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

I think everyone should be in shape. But I don't see why a trainer not being in shape would mean they weren't good at their jobs. Many sports trainers are not in shape. Many doctors are not healthy.

Knowing what to do does not mean you want to do it.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

I've seen trainers who are in shape who paddle the most ridiculous woo, and heavier trainers who know what they're doing. I know I'm among the few who don't really care what their trainer/doctor/dietitian looks like because results speak for themselves. Disregarding actual knowledge level and woo inclination, even if someone is the Adonis of trainers, if they don't possess teaching skills (including sensitivity to individual needs and potentials) they're near useless.

I agree that being in shape isn't a qualification either. You need ALL the tools and you should practice what you preach.
  • joemac1988
    Options

Completely disagree. I think in many areas (not just the gym) , there are people who have exceptional knowledge, and ability to teach/train, without necessarily being the best at it themselves.

I'm not talking about those that aren't the best, I'm talking about those that aren't even in shape.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I don't think that it is essential to be in shape if a PT has a track record of satisfied clients, high-level experiences (celebrity trainer/high school, college, pro athletic trainer, etc.), and/or some sort of injury/medical condition that impedes their own training. Otherwise, if the person is a 20-40 something year-old PT hustling business at the local gym, I would find it unsettling if he/she doesn't give the appearance that they actually follow their own advice and that their program results in a high level of fitness.

I think you're essentially agreeing with me...? I wouldn't care if they weren't in tip-top shape, but they should be at least average. I said "in shape" not shredded or anything like that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I've seen trainers who are in shape who paddle the most ridiculous woo, and heavier trainers who know what they're doing. I know I'm among the few who don't really care what their trainer/doctor/dietitian looks like because results speak for themselves. Disregarding actual knowledge level and woo inclination, even if someone is the Adonis of trainers, if they don't possess teaching skills (including sensitivity to individual needs and potentials) they're near useless.

I agree that being in shape isn't a qualification either. You need ALL the tools and you should practice what you preach.

By the looks of their trainers, many Olympic level athletes seem to disagree. Professional sports players too.
  • joemac1988
    Options

I think everyone should be in shape. But I don't see why a trainer not being in shape would mean they weren't good at their jobs. Many sports trainers are not in shape. Many doctors are not healthy.

A Dr. and a PT are two different things. You could also say a NFL coach doesn't have to be able to play in the NFL.
    But I'd compare an obese PT to a homeless person selling financial advice. They may have all the facts but you don't have my respect if you can't put it into action. Being unhealthy yourself doesn't impede your ability to diagnose a medical issue I have. Being out of shape DOES impede things like your ability to demonstrate correct form.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

A Dr. and a PT are two different things. You could also say a NFL coach doesn't have to be able to play in the NFL.
    But I'd compare an obese PT to a homeless person selling financial advice. They may have all the facts but you don't have my respect if you can't put it into action. Being unhealthy yourself doesn't impede your ability to diagnose a medical issue I have. Being out of shape DOES impede things like your ability to demonstrate correct form.

Ah, respect. That's different than whether they actually can do the job.
  • joemac1988
    Options

By the looks of their trainers, many Olympic level athletes seem to disagree. Professional sports players too.

Apples and oranges. I'm never said an obese PT doesn't know what they're talking about, all I said is they should be in shape. Keywords here to remember are "unpopular" and "opinion".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Apples and oranges. I'm never said an obese PT doesn't know what they're talking about, all I said is they should be in shape. Keywords here to remember are "unpopular" and "opinion".

Quite true. You have met the criteria.
  • joemac1988
    Options

Meh, maybe, maybe not. There is a trainer at my gym (Female, probably 5'8, pushing 300lbs) that physically can't demonstrate correct form. In that specific instance, she actually can't do her job.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Meh, maybe, maybe not. There is a trainer at my gym (Female, probably 5'8, pushing 300lbs) that physically can't demonstrate correct form. In that specific instance, she actually can't do her job.

That one example doesn't really demonstrate anything. That woman that set the world record for a squat was heavy and she had good form.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I think you're essentially agreeing with me...? I wouldn't care if they weren't in tip-top shape, but they should be at least average. I said "in shape" not shredded or anything like that.

I am agreeing with you, just with the few qualifiers in the first sentence of my post above:)

To look at it from a different angle: lets say a PT approached me at my gym who just received his/her certification 6 months ago and without any other sort of qualifications - if that person is in amazing shape I may still consider him/her. If another person with the same limited PT experience approached me but didn't appear to be fit, I doubt that I would pay that person to train me.
  • joemac1988
    Options

I am agreeing with you, just with the few qualifiers in the first sentence of my post above:)

To look at it from a different angle: lets say a PT approached me at my gym who just received his/her certification 6 months ago and without any other sort of qualifications - if that person is in amazing shape I may still consider him/her. If another person with the same limited PT experience approached me but didn't appear to be fit, I doubt that I would pay that person to train me.

Gotcha. I guess my real problem is with people that have a piece of paper proclaiming them a CPT when all they did is take some online courses. I would rather be trained by someone with knowledge, references and in shape than someone with all kinds of alphabet soup after their name and no indication they have a clue.

I'd rather take financial advice from a high school drop out turned successful entrepreneur than someone with an MBA driving a forklift stocking shelves. Proof is in the pudding!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I personally would take on anyone with good reviews for a trial run regardless. If I'm presented with two trainers with roughly equal reviews and results, I'll take the cheaper one for a trial run then switch to the other if I don't click with the first one. If they both charge the same I'll take the one that I feel would be easier to communicate with. I understand why people would pick based on looks and it's a valid point of view, it's just that my brain doesn't operate that way having experienced being morbidly obese and knowing what I am capable of.

I don't even need someone to "demonstrate" good form. Correcting my form and easily applicable form tips then are much more important to me than demonstrations. There is a disconnect between the what I see and what my body does when I'm new to something. I'm not kidding, the kind of disconnect I personally have is extreme. I'm so clumsy and awkward I may think I'm doing exactly what I "saw" but I end up looking like one of those "what I think I look like/what I actually look like" memes, it's not even funny (it actually is funny, and I laugh a lot at myself when I start something new that involves movement and record myself).
  • joemac1988
    Options

That one example doesn't really demonstrate anything. That woman that set the world record for a squat was heavy and she had good form.

Powerlifters usually do carry extra weight and sure, the woman you refer to is qualified to coach in her area of expertise. Her credentials? A world record squat. Trust me, the girl I'm talking about is too fat to demonstrate some movements. She was doing something on her hands and knees with a medicine ball and needed help to get off the floor. Not because of age, she's in her 20's. Not because of an injury, she's fine.

And before people start sounding off about me calling her fat... I'm not judging her as a person, she's actually really sweet. I'm judging her as a CPT.
This discussion has been closed.