Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

I don't think that it is essential to be in shape if a PT has a track record of satisfied clients, high-level experiences (celebrity trainer/high school, college, pro athletic trainer, etc.), and/or some sort of injury/medical condition that impedes their own training. Otherwise, if the person is a 20-40 something year-old PT hustling business at the local gym, I would find it unsettling if he/she doesn't give the appearance that they actually follow their own advice and that their program results in a high level of fitness.

I think you're essentially agreeing with me...? I wouldn't care if they weren't in tip-top shape, but they should be at least average. I said "in shape" not shredded or anything like that.

I am agreeing with you, just with the few qualifiers in the first sentence of my post above:)

To look at it from a different angle: lets say a PT approached me at my gym who just received his/her certification 6 months ago and without any other sort of qualifications - if that person is in amazing shape I may still consider him/her. If another person with the same limited PT experience approached me but didn't appear to be fit, I doubt that I would pay that person to train me.

I personally would take on anyone with good reviews for a trial run regardless. If I'm presented with two trainers with roughly equal reviews and results, I'll take the cheaper one for a trial run then switch to the other if I don't click with the first one. If they both charge the same I'll take the one that I feel would be easier to communicate with. I understand why people would pick based on looks and it's a valid point of view, it's just that my brain doesn't operate that way having experienced being morbidly obese and knowing what I am capable of.

I don't even need someone to "demonstrate" good form. Correcting my form and easily applicable form tips then are much more important to me than demonstrations. There is a disconnect between the what I see and what my body does when I'm new to something. I'm not kidding, the kind of disconnect I personally have is extreme. I'm so clumsy and awkward I may think I'm doing exactly what I "saw" but I end up looking like one of those "what I think I look like/what I actually look like" memes, it's not even funny (it actually is funny, and I laugh a lot at myself when I start something new that involves movement and record myself).

Ok, I can agree with you on this but we're getting away from my original point a little. I just think a PT SHOULD be in shape. Can an overweight PT be a great one? Sure. Do credentials or nifty letters after your name qualify you? Nope.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

If Mark Rippetoe wants to train me...I am not saying float buddy you aren't in good enough shape...

I do however agree that CPT means about as much as the paper it's written on...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I don't think that it is essential to be in shape if a PT has a track record of satisfied clients, high-level experiences (celebrity trainer/high school, college, pro athletic trainer, etc.), and/or some sort of injury/medical condition that impedes their own training. Otherwise, if the person is a 20-40 something year-old PT hustling business at the local gym, I would find it unsettling if he/she doesn't give the appearance that they actually follow their own advice and that their program results in a high level of fitness.

I think you're essentially agreeing with me...? I wouldn't care if they weren't in tip-top shape, but they should be at least average. I said "in shape" not shredded or anything like that.

I am agreeing with you, just with the few qualifiers in the first sentence of my post above:)

To look at it from a different angle: lets say a PT approached me at my gym who just received his/her certification 6 months ago and without any other sort of qualifications - if that person is in amazing shape I may still consider him/her. If another person with the same limited PT experience approached me but didn't appear to be fit, I doubt that I would pay that person to train me.

I personally would take on anyone with good reviews for a trial run regardless. If I'm presented with two trainers with roughly equal reviews and results, I'll take the cheaper one for a trial run then switch to the other if I don't click with the first one. If they both charge the same I'll take the one that I feel would be easier to communicate with. I understand why people would pick based on looks and it's a valid point of view, it's just that my brain doesn't operate that way having experienced being morbidly obese and knowing what I am capable of.

I don't even need someone to "demonstrate" good form. Correcting my form and easily applicable form tips then are much more important to me than demonstrations. There is a disconnect between the what I see and what my body does when I'm new to something. I'm not kidding, the kind of disconnect I personally have is extreme. I'm so clumsy and awkward I may think I'm doing exactly what I "saw" but I end up looking like one of those "what I think I look like/what I actually look like" memes, it's not even funny (it actually is funny, and I laugh a lot at myself when I start something new that involves movement and record myself).

Ok, I can agree with you on this but we're getting away from my original point a little. I just think a PT SHOULD be in shape. Can an overweight PT be a great one? Sure. Do credentials or nifty letters after your name qualify you? Nope.

In my book, a PT SHOULD know how to train to be a good one. Looks, credentials and nifty letters carry little importance to the fact, at least to me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I think being in shape is good for the PT's business, but it is not a requirement to be a top notch trainer. I'd like to think I would look past the physical appearance and see what's under the hood. Don't judge a book by it's cover...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Would you allow this guy to train you based on his appearance? ;)

kd6pjbftxs1w.jpeg
  • joemac1988
    SezxyStef wrote: »

If Mark Rippetoe wants to train me...I am not saying float buddy you aren't in good enough shape...

I do however agree that CPT means about as much as the paper it's written on...

Of course! I'm talking about your local gym PT, not a former powerlifter and respected strength coach.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    100% inferior to German Stollen.

slider_01.jpg

Agreed. I make at least 4 loaves of Dutch Stollen (basically the same thing) every Christmas.
  • jseams1234 wrote: »

kd6pjbftxs1w.jpeg

You're god damn right I would. And pay a *kitten* load of money for his damn accreditation.
  • joemac1988
    jseams1234 wrote: »

kd6pjbftxs1w.jpeg

Getting away from my point but let's play this out... Since I'm referring to CPT's, if I can hire him for $30/hr at my local Retro Fitness, based on his looks, no. Knowing who he is and his accomplishments, I don't care if he has ZERO certifications.

Back to my points. 1. a CPT should be in shape and 2., certifications mean nothing. In the example given here, I doubt he considers himself a CPT and you'd hire him whether he's certified or not.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

kd6pjbftxs1w.jpeg

I don't think that the argument is that out-of-shape trainers can't be effective trainers

• joemac1988

I don't think that the argument is that out-of-shape trainers can't be effective trainers

Thank you lol.
  • joemac1988
    edited December 2017
    heytimsla wrote: »
    I don't trust my optometrist unless they're wearing glasses.

Would you trust a blind optometrist? Or one that needs glasses but forgot them? That's what your analogy should have been. If they don't need glasses (in shape), they can see. If they need and have glasses (formerly out of shape or even currently but working on it), they can still see. If they need, but don't have...well, I sure as heck ain't letting them near my eyes. But you do you.
  • How am I supposed to trust a person to give me glasses if he doesn't have glasses. How am I gonna get muscles if the trainer doesn't have muscles.

Also blind optometrist doesn't sound out of the realm of possibilities for 2017; are you being visionist. He identifies as a not blind man. Haha
  • joemac1988
    How am I supposed to trust a person to give me glasses if he doesn't have glasses. How am I gonna get muscles if the trainer doesn't have muscles.

Also blind optometrist doesn't sound out of the realm of possibilities for 2017; are you being visionist. He identifies as a not blind man. Haha

I don't care if the trainer is jacked...people keep redefining what my point was. I said they should be in shape. That could be 30% bodyfat powerlifter, lean lightweight runner, average build, shredded bodybuilder, whatever. That being said, would you not doubt that a trainer that had no muscle might struggle to help you build it? I believe there can be a disconnect (not always!) between knowledge and the practical application of it. And, if you aren't an example, how do I know you know how to guide me through the practical application? I'm talking about the general rule and everyone seems more interested in throwing obscure exceptions for the sake of arguing. Which I'm fine with...otherwise it wouldn't be an unpopular opinion.

Whatever. People can go get their eyes checked at a blind optometrist, get singing lessons from a mute, learn to play piano from a guitar teacher, hire a broke financial advisor and work with an obese dietitian.
  • i4h27aqaq91o.jpg

How much do you trust the Belgium Minister of Health.

Also I think you're missing the sarcasm
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

If I walked into an optometrists office and he was wearing a pair of ill-fitting glasses and said "I prescribed and created these myself!" and then promptly walked into a wall, I would probably question whether he was competent.
  • All good my dude. I think her real reason is to tell people not to eat junk food so she can have it for herself.
  • joemac1988

If I walked into an optometrists office and he was wearing a pair of ill-fitting glasses and said "I prescribed and created these myself!" and then promptly walked into a wall, I would probably question whether he was competent.

Bingo!
This discussion has been closed.