Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to and if it doesn't affect their ability to train) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.

Are you .....amused
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    All good my dude. I think her real reason is to tell people not to eat junk food so she can have it for herself.

Aaaaaaahahaha!!!
  • joemac1988
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to and if it doesn't affect their ability to train) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.

My opinion: A PT SHOULD be in shape. Being out of shape CAN affect their ability to train. Not once did I say a PT has to be in shape or they're incapable.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Yep. This has taken a weird turn. From "a PT must be in shape" (I still think they don't have to if they don't want to) to all kinds of irrelevant silliness.

Are you .....amused

I am actually. I'm more amused than insulting by fat shaming. I wonder why it happens and what mechanisms drive it.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »

My opinion: A PT SHOULD be in shape. Being out of shape CAN affect their ability to train. Not once did I say a PT has to be in shape or they're incapable.

There is a big difference between "can" and "will". Many things can affect ability to train including things completely unrelated to fitness. I would rather go for "a good PT is one who knows how to train" rather than single out one single factor that may or may not be relevant.
  • joemac1988
    Options

There is a big difference between "can" and "will". Many things can affect ability to train including things completely unrelated to fitness. I would rather go for "a good PT is one who knows how to train" rather than single out one single factor that may or may not be relevant.

I agree completely that knowing how to train is the single biggest factor. I also think that if you're out of shape it begs the question why? Lack of self respect, lack of drive, or is it application of your knowledge?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I mostly like fruitcake, but if one wants it to be really decadent-good, it's important that it omit those ucky commercial fake-dyed candied fruit in favor of homemade actual candied delicious fruit. And lovingly bathe it in alcohol for weeks, of course.

I don't really understand why @Tacklewasher wants to shoot those of us who so generously and selflessly volunteered for the Fruitcake Disposal Squad, though. ;)

Exactly! We're eating the fruitcake so that nobody else has to worry about it. It's basically a public service!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keywords here to remember are "unpopular" and "opinion".

This is why I posted. Of course, I thought I was being silly but others seem to hide behind the thread title.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not much on cake since I'm a pie guy but for this I'll make an exception! mmm, mmm

tortuga-caribbean-rum-cake-and-pineapple-rum-cake-duo-d-20160324110330213~449634_alt1.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I agree completely that knowing how to train is the single biggest factor. I also think that if you're out of shape it begs the question why? Lack of self respect, lack of drive, or is it application of your knowledge?

It could be any of these things, although different priorities is the most common answer. Weight lifting in particular is a sport where body weight is mostly irrelevant to skill level (hence the different weight categories in olympic lifting) so weight is rarely a factor in ability to train. It does affect the business side of things, though. That I'll give you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

few pages back but figured id toss in my cousin who has a rediculous amount of university for all sorts of training to become a personal trainer -including medical training has went to so much school and internships he never had time to do alot of the exercising and healthy eating himself. Hes insanely qualified, And because he is hes getting more and more out of shape the more courses he takes.

So where i agree to a degree, Fitness really doesnt mean you know what your doing- And being out of shape or overweight doesnt mean you dont.
  • joemac1988
    Options

It could be any of these things, although different priorities is the most common answer. Weight lifting in particular is a sport where body weight is mostly irrelevant to skill level (hence the different weight categories in olympic lifting) so weight is rarely a factor in ability to train. It does affect the business side of things, though. That I'll give you.

That's fine, but I'm not referring to weight, I'm talking about physical fitness.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Trainer's should be in shape. Having CPT after your name proves nothing. I've seen trainers that have credentials but are obese and have their clients do the most ridiculous exercises.

few pages back but figured id toss in my cousin who has a rediculous amount of university for all sorts of training to become a personal trainer -including medical training has went to so much school and internships he never had time to do alot of the exercising and healthy eating himself. Hes insanely qualified, And because he is hes getting more and more out of shape the more courses he takes.

So where i agree to a degree, Fitness really doesnt mean you know what your doing- And being out of shape or overweight doesnt mean you dont.

That is awesome and takes a lot of dedication. I just don't think knowledge alone of a subject qualifies you to teach it to others or the practical application, regardless what said subject is. Your cousin is absolutely an authority on what they've studied but that is only half of being a Personal Trainer. I'm not saying your cousin is unqualified, simply saying knowledge alone doesn't make one qualified.
  • joemac1988
    Options

This also applies to other things as well. I'm fat, but I'll brag I know more about weight loss and its strategies than some nutritionists.

Disclaimer: I'm not calling you fat...I don't know you or know what you look like.

Do people take you seriously and come to you for advice? I don't ask this to be mean, honest question. The reason I ask is I used to be very fat and never had anyone ask me for advice. I've added muscle and lost fat and I get approached through social media and in person almost every day asking for help with meal plans, workout routines and so on.

I'm not attaching this to the opinion I stated regarding CPT's. I'm genuinely curious what the perception is that you encounter.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

That is awesome and takes a lot of dedication. I just don't think knowledge alone of a subject qualifies you to teach it to others or the practical application, regardless what said subject is. Your cousin is absolutely an authority on what they've studied but that is only half of being a Personal Trainer. I'm not saying your cousin is unqualified, simply saying knowledge alone doesn't make one qualified.

Are you being specific for training or are you talking all fields of knowledge?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Injury?
  • joemac1988
    Options

Are you being specific for training or are you talking all fields of knowledge?

Specifically about training but I think it would apply to some other fields of knowledge. Probably a poor example (thinking on the fly lol) but someone that knows everything there is to know about psychology from an education standpoint doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a good psychologist. I'm sure there would be plenty of exceptions to this though. What are you thinking?
This discussion has been closed.