Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Volume Eaters Thread

1109110112114115

Replies

  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,939Member Member Posts: 4,939Member Member
    I have about half a Napa cabbage in the refrigerator (used the rest already) and you all are inspiring me to make it more of the feature of a meal rather than using it as part of various sides. I do love cabbage.
  • moogie_fitmoogie_fit Posts: 256Member, Premium Member Posts: 256Member, Premium Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Bump: recently I've been eating whole cooked cabbages baked in my oven for liek 2 hours and also been loving the radish baked life and using tomato juice rather than a sauce to cook veggies in

    Thank you for sharing (and "bump"ing!! It's been a bit quiet around here lately. (: )
    Can I ask you a bit of a personal question - by first emphasizing that I do NOT expect you to answer it, or respond at all!! I don't want to overstep my boundaries?:

    My question for you is regarding your cabbage consumption (or really any volume vegetable consumption):
    ....Do you feel "bloated" or overly full when you eat large portions of vegetables?
    Does it vary depending on its state (cooked versus raw)?

    Thank you, again. And that gratitude remains whether you answer those pesky questions or not!! (:

    Yes and no. I think I'm used to it. I definitely get more gas in the morning if I eat a lot of veg. But I do the trade off and think it's worth jt
  • vampirequeen1959vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196Member Member Posts: 196Member Member
    I'd never heard the term 'volume eater' until I read the OP. What a brilliant description of how I eat. I like to feel full (not overfull) and have found the way to that is lots of fruit and veg. If I feel full it's easier to fight cravings and I rarely feel like snacking.
  • alexmosealexmose Posts: 279Member Member Posts: 279Member Member
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.
  • chris89topherchris89topher Posts: 145Member, Premium Member Posts: 145Member, Premium Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 4,921Member Member Posts: 4,921Member Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    YUM! This looks DELICIOUS!!! I was just craving spaghetti squash and chili today too. (Actually had a dream I bought one, LOL). I like to top mine with tomato sauce, pan crisped zucchini and tons of powdered onion, garlic, italian seasoning, nosalt salt, and a bit of stevia. Love spaghetti squash. Definitely buying one tomorrow.
  • alexmosealexmose Posts: 279Member Member Posts: 279Member Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    YUM! This looks DELICIOUS!!! I was just craving spaghetti squash and chili today too. (Actually had a dream I bought one, LOL). I like to top mine with tomato sauce, pan crisped zucchini and tons of powdered onion, garlic, italian seasoning, nosalt salt, and a bit of stevia. Love spaghetti squash. Definitely buying one tomorrow.

    Sounds delish!!!
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 3,130Member Member Posts: 3,130Member Member
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Bump: recently I've been eating whole cooked cabbages baked in my oven for liek 2 hours and also been loving the radish baked life and using tomato juice rather than a sauce to cook veggies in

    Thank you for sharing (and "bump"ing!! It's been a bit quiet around here lately. (: )
    Can I ask you a bit of a personal question - by first emphasizing that I do NOT expect you to answer it, or respond at all!! I don't want to overstep my boundaries?:

    My question for you is regarding your cabbage consumption (or really any volume vegetable consumption):
    ....Do you feel "bloated" or overly full when you eat large portions of vegetables?
    Does it vary depending on its state (cooked versus raw)?

    Thank you, again. And that gratitude remains whether you answer those pesky questions or not!! (:

    Yes and no. I think I'm used to it. I definitely get more gas in the morning if I eat a lot of veg. But I do the trade off and think it's worth jt

    Glad you asked this, I've been bloated for a year and was trying to figure out if it was a food sensitivity, I've tried digestive enzymes, probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and Beano! I'm doing a partial elimination diet and haven't had beans for a week which helps a little bit but I suspect it's my huge lunch salad plus dinner vegetables. I took two Beano before my brussel sprouts last night and it helped some, that's the worst for me but I love them! I genuinely like how I eat so I've been scared to do a full FODMAP diet as I wouldn't have much left to eat.
  • gremloBBPTgremloBBPT Posts: 48Member Member Posts: 48Member Member
    @Katmary71 I had that problem a few years back. It was awful because, like you, I'm a major veg lover. I'm not advising this, but I'll say what finally helped me was I stopped eating veg, some legumes, and some fruit for about two months. I only kept a few "veggies" that had never bothered me at all--cucumbers, tomatoes...I think that was it lol. I also ate quite a bit of parsley bc that didn't bother me. During that time, I took a high quality probiotic. Sorry, I can't remember which one, just that it was expensive and needed to be refrigerated. After a couple of months, I went back to eating small servings of most veg and over time tested how large a serving I could go before it bothered me. For the most part, I eventually got to being almost as good as new. I still can't gorge on lentils and a cpl other foods, which is a shame bc I love them, but the difference is night and day. I'm 95% better. I hope you find what works for you too! :)
    edited February 9
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 3,130Member Member Posts: 3,130Member Member
    @gremloBBPT Thank you for telling me your experience. I"m so glad you found a way to eat that works for you. Aside of following the FODMAP diet I wouldn't know what to cut and what to keep! It sounds like you did things in a smart manner. I hope if I give the elimination diet a chance I'll have the same success as so far I'm kind of trying different things without much relief. I'll spend the money I spend on produce on a better probiotic!
  • gremloBBPTgremloBBPT Posts: 48Member Member Posts: 48Member Member
    Thanks, Katmary, I'm very glad it worked too! :smiley: I've always eaten relatively large servings of vegetables, so it really messed up my way of eating when I was having those problems. I think the FODMAP diet can be a great way to start. I got rid of all veg and anything else I noticed had bothered me just bc I was so sick of the situation. I wanted to give my digestive system a break while the probiotic did its thing. I'd been taking different probiotics for a cpl years by that point, but they didn't help--don't know for sure if the better quality helped or if it was taking that in tandem with the diet. Good luck!
  • beulah81beulah81 Posts: 112Member Member Posts: 112Member Member
    gremloBBPT wrote: »
    Thanks, Katmary, I'm very glad it worked too! :smiley: I've always eaten relatively large servings of vegetables, so it really messed up my way of eating when I was having those problems. I think the FODMAP diet can be a great way to start. I got rid of all veg and anything else I noticed had bothered me just bc I was so sick of the situation. I wanted to give my digestive system a break while the probiotic did its thing. I'd been taking different probiotics for a cpl years by that point, but they didn't help--don't know for sure if the better quality helped or if it was taking that in tandem with the diet. Good luck!

    @gremloBBPT What fruit/s with your experience caused most bloating/flatulence?
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Posts: 268Member Member Posts: 268Member Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also prefer large volumes of food, but I don't really eat fruits or veggies, so it is something I struggle with. Following along for, hopefully, some good ideas.

    My best addition to this thread, though it's not "real food" is probably going to be protein fluff. Basically, 1 scoop of casein, 10ish oz of a liquid, and a little xanthan gum, then whip the hell out of it... ends up having the consistency very similar to mousse or whipped cream.


    AWesome! I am going to try it with plant protein.I use Glucomannan to make my protein super thick and make it warm, hot with cinnamon on top. I am having that right now :)
  • Kalex1975Kalex1975 Posts: 421Member Member Posts: 421Member Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also prefer large volumes of food, but I don't really eat fruits or veggies, so it is something I struggle with. Following along for, hopefully, some good ideas.

    My best addition to this thread, though it's not "real food" is probably going to be protein fluff. Basically, 1 scoop of casein, 10ish oz of a liquid, and a little xanthan gum, then whip the hell out of it... ends up having the consistency very similar to mousse or whipped cream.


    AWesome! I am going to try it with plant protein.I use Glucomannan to make my protein super thick and make it warm, hot with cinnamon on top. I am having that right now :)

    I am not sure plant protein works for fluff... I think casein is required (doesn't have to be 100%, protein powders that have a mix of it and whey also work - like Quest).
  • goldengirl111goldengirl111 Posts: 620Member Member Posts: 620Member Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.

    Enjoy spaghetti squash.... I'll do half pasta half spaghetti squash
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,939Member Member Posts: 4,939Member Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    sw11912it12i.jpeg
    350g spaghetti squash
    Turkey chili
    Prego sauce
    Eggplant
    Garlic powder
    530 cals, 34g protein.

    That looks great! Spaghetti squash is very low calorie yet very filling. I love it.

    Enjoy spaghetti squash.... I'll do half pasta half spaghetti squash

    I love spaghetti squash and pasta, but have never tried mixing them, since I don't use spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta -- different sauces suit them in my mind.

    Not saying this won't work, though -- just a thought since I'm planning to try a new spaghetti squash recipe tonight so have been thinking about it! (In my mind spaghetti squash works well with chili and pasta doesn't so much.)
    edited February 11
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 1,765Member Member Posts: 1,765Member Member
    Oh yeah, love spaghetti squash with chili or just with some butter, olive oil and grated parm cheese
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 8,507Member Member Posts: 8,507Member Member
    For the love of volume and produce. Also meatless Monday 😁

    syh79tij6dsw.jpg
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 1,765Member Member Posts: 1,765Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    For the love of volume and produce. Also meatless Monday 😁

    syh79tij6dsw.jpg

    dang, that looks good!
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 22,131Member Member Posts: 22,131Member Member
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also prefer large volumes of food, but I don't really eat fruits or veggies, so it is something I struggle with. Following along for, hopefully, some good ideas.

    My best addition to this thread, though it's not "real food" is probably going to be protein fluff. Basically, 1 scoop of casein, 10ish oz of a liquid, and a little xanthan gum, then whip the hell out of it... ends up having the consistency very similar to mousse or whipped cream.


    AWesome! I am going to try it with plant protein.I use Glucomannan to make my protein super thick and make it warm, hot with cinnamon on top. I am having that right now :)

    I am not sure plant protein works for fluff... I think casein is required (doesn't have to be 100%, protein powders that have a mix of it and whey also work - like Quest).

    I have not tried it, but I've heard from others that it absolutely doesn't work without casein.
Sign In or Register to comment.