Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Because sometimes 2L of Pho with crazy good flavour and nutrients is all you body needs. Also, I am proud to say that other that putting it all together, it's all store bought. So much good for 400cal hard to finish dinner.

q3darzaew2s9.jpg

Can you detail ingredients?
    I think I need this in my life.
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Fantastic - thank you!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    8rydloj8lfuw.jpg

The 'molded' item is my attempt at the White chocolate sugar free jello/pumpkin 'pie'. Mine converted to 75 calories for the whole thing. Made it into a panna cotta sort of thing:
    8 gram of white chocolate jello powder
    .12 cup of pumpkin puree
    .12 cup of Greek yogurt
    1.5 cup of water
    1 package of Knox plain gelatin
    1 tsp. of Xanthum gum
    Jordan Caramel sugar free syrup
    I bloomed gelatin and then whipped it a few minutes and chilled til set
    It tasted ok...a nice flavored pudding I guess
    Came in around 80 calories

Attached photo (I don't know why it's posted this way...)
    A nice big salad - I wrap some of it nori sheet - came in for around 120 calories
  • purplefizzy
    R
    Because sometimes 2L of Pho with crazy good flavour and nutrients is all you body needs. Also, I am proud to say that other that putting it all together, it's all store bought. So much good for 400cal hard to finish dinner.

q3darzaew2s9.jpg

Can you detail ingredients?
    I think I need this in my life.

As always, ask and you shall receive :)
    Carton of Campbell's Ready to Use Pho Broth
    Box of oyster mushrooms, sliced 200g
    Box of tofu or shiratake noodles (I use and highly recommend House Foods America Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti)
    Ikea bought bag of https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40346434/vegetable balls. Use as many as you like. Very very VERY good!!!!

Do this.
    Rinse the noodles under hot running water, not to remove any of the taste, they have none, but to make them warm so that the soup does not get cold fast.
    Place the balls on a baking sheet and roast until hot, they get crispy and hold their shape even in a soup.
    Place the broth and mushrooms in the pot and bring to a boil then simmer as per package. Adjust for seasoning.

Place noodles in your large bowl.
    Pour broth all over.
    Top with balls.
    Couple splashes of tamari and fish sauce.

Enjoy :)

New items to hunt for!
    Pho broth and ikea-ballz :)

Thank you 😃
  • AppleHater_
    AppleHater_ Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2019
    I eat an insane amount of seaweed snacks. They’re 30 calories a pack, so ill often eat 3 at once lol.
    Oh, and my boyfriend is really into raw broccoli (I’m jealous). So he’ll eat raw broccoli with “ranch” made out of greek yogurt and ranch seasoning. I can’t do it raw, buuuuuut a big bowl of steamed broccoli rocks.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I eat an insane amount of seaweed snacks. They’re 30 calories a pack, so ill often eat 3 at once lol.
    Oh, and my boyfriend is really into raw broccoli (I’m jealous). So he’ll eat raw broccoli with “ranch” made out of greek yogurt and ranch seasoning. I can’t do it raw, buuuuuut a big bowl of steamed roasted broccoli rocks.

Seaweed snacks are not a volume food. They are great salty packets of nothing :) that just want you to go back for more and more :)
    With regards to the broccoli, I fixed it for you :)

Agreed... they are good... just added fat... could just use plain nori.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Oh, and my boyfriend is really into raw broccoli (I’m jealous). So he’ll eat raw broccoli with “ranch” made out of greek yogurt and ranch seasoning. I can’t do it raw, buuuuuut a big bowl of steamed roasted broccoli rocks.

Seaweed snacks are not a volume food. They are great salty packets of nothing :) that just want you to go back for more and more :)

Do you recommend any particular brand? I live near an H-Mart, an Asian supermarket. I have purchased nori and roasted seasweed sheets there in the past, but I really wasn't sure what I was buying (I couldn't read the label!!). There are so many options to choose from, and, I unfortunately don't know the difference between the products (with the exception of their retail price!!).
    (Note: I like a good "crunch". I just don't like any oils and additives!!)

Thank you (:
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited April 2019
    geiznekcm wrote: »

Do you recommend any particular brand? I live near an H-Mart, an Asian supermarket. I have purchased nori and roasted seasweed sheets there in the past, but I really wasn't sure what I was buying (I couldn't read the label!!). There are so many options to choose from, and, I unfortunately don't know the difference between the products (with the exception of their retail price!!).
    (Note: I like a good "crunch". I just don't like any oils and additives!!)

Thank you (:

Yes...any brand of Seaweed 'snack' packages include some sort of oil and may have starch or other 'things'. I prefer to buy the whole Nori sheets - most of them are just roasted seaweed. 10 calories/sheet.

I use them not as a snacking item so much as a wrap for salads - I love them for that
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited April 2019
    Today I experimented in the kitchen with a carton of liquid egg whites.
    You all have probably made creations similar to this before, and likely have created even better. However, I was so impressed with my uninventive self that I want to boast a bit (: I hope that is okay!!
    Like I said, this "recipe" is so basic that it isn't really a recipe to begin with.

Any-poot,

I preheated the oven to 425°F. I lightly sprayed a miniature-muffin tin (which I bought from Tuesday Morning this morning - a Wednesday morning 🙂....such a rebel) with avocado oil;
    I used roughly two cups of egg whites (thinned out a bit with tap water);
    I made a few different flavors per half cup, using stevia and flavoring extracts.
    I hand-whisked it well,
    then poured the mixture into the miniature-muffin pan.
    Baked for 15 to 20 minutes in preheated oven.
    Wow.
    Little, bitty "pops" with a slight crisp on the exterior. *Double dipping in Walden Farms pancake "syrup".

That is all. A long description for a simple idea. Pardon me for not being concise with my gloating!!
  • ljoycew
    ljoycew Posts: 22 Member
    I'm really into savory oatmeal. Some people think it's weird to combine oatmeal with anything but sweets like fruit, but once I realized it's a grain like rice, and you can make rice pudding OR have rice with Chinese food, it opened new doors for me. My go-to breakfast is half a cup of oatmeal with salt and pepper, chopped tomatoes and green onions, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese (not the green can stuff!).

But since I've started increasing volume, I've been having oatmeal with things like mushrooms sautéed with olive oil, parsley and thyme, or sautéed yellow squash, or zucchini cooked in chicken broth, and then using the broth to moisten the oatmeal. Basically, anything you could eat with rice, you could eat with oatmeal, but oatmeal is a high fiber slow carb!
  • psychod787
    ljoycew wrote: »
    I'm really into savory oatmeal. Some people think it's weird to combine oatmeal with anything but sweets like fruit, but once I realized it's a grain like rice, and you can make rice pudding OR have rice with Chinese food, it opened new doors for me. My go-to breakfast is half a cup of oatmeal with salt and pepper, chopped tomatoes and green onions, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese (not the green can stuff!).

But since I've started increasing volume, I've been having oatmeal with things like mushrooms sautéed with olive oil, parsley and thyme, or sautéed yellow squash, or zucchini cooked in chicken broth, and then using the broth to moisten the oatmeal. Basically, anything you could eat with rice, you could eat with oatmeal, but oatmeal is a high fiber slow carb!
    Slow carb? Inside of a mixed media. Carb speed does not matter. Oatmeal has a little bit of fiber and a little bit of protein. If you are eating a Whole Foods meal, you get all things together.
  • psychod787
    Strawberries are innnnn!!!! $10 US for 7 lbs!!! Oh happy days!
  • purplefizzy

I could do some SERIOUS damage to that flat.

It’s incredible to me when people say ‘I don’t know what I’d do with all that <insertFruit/vegHere>.

I’d, oh... EAT It (all.)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2019

YESS! I wish I could find somewhere around me to buy them at that price!! Here they are $6-7 for 2lbs. I buy 8-10bs a week every week throughout the year. They are my main grocery splurge, lol. The worst is when they are $8-9 for 2lbs during winter.
  • psychod787

It’s incredible to me when people say ‘I don’t know what I’d do with all that <insertFruit/vegHere>.

I’d, oh... EAT It (all.)

Already put down 800 grams today! Plan on more tomorrow!

YESS! I wish I could find somewhere around me to buy them at that price!! Here they are $6-7 for 2lbs. I buy 8-10bs a week every week throughout the year. They are my main grocery splurge, lol. The worst is when they are $8-9 for 2lbs during winter.

Florida has an early season. It will be too dang hot soon!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

I’d, oh... EAT It (all.)

Already put down 800 grams today! Plan on more tomorrow!

Florida has an early season. It will be too dang hot soon!

My 8lbs cost me $24 this week 😭. Where do you find them so cheap? Is it a regular store or a farmers market?v279ql2kvzel.jpg
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited April 2019
    what are some of your high volume breakasts?? :) higher protein too, pls!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    what are some of your high volume breakasts?? :) higher protein too, pls!

I like doing Greek yogurt bowls (Around 200g) with lots of berries, peanut butter powder, weetabix and some chia seeds. All around 400cals
    a7t5cw7mgs4a.jpeg
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I'm a longtime lurker.
    ljoycew wrote: »

I don't eat sweet oatmeal anymore, only savory. Just use veg/chicken/beef stock instead of water and then top with whatever you want. I'm partial to roasted chipotle salsa and goat cheese.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    I've been eating savory oatmeal too. I just tried it for the first time a few months ago and haven't eaten it sweet since! I do oats, broccoli, and spices and cook with water. Then I top with either hot sauce or liquid aminos. Sometimes I'll add a Laughing Cow cheese wedge or add some powdered cheese (popcorn seasoning) Love it!