What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Replies

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I'm fine with "male" and "female" used when specifying which gender is meant in discussing an occupation--physicians, nurses, soldiers, etc. It sounds fine and correct to me in that context. But otherwise people are men or women, not male or female. Out of the occupational context, I think male and female are best used in describing animal genders.

That bird is a female. That cat is a male.

That person is a man. That person is a woman.

That's just me and I never mention it to anyone in any case. (And I'm only speaking in generalizations here--not wanting to get into a discussion whether gender is binary or fluid, etc.)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    'peanut butter is a good source of protein'.

GAH. Might as well say that bread is a good source of protein then. So aggravating.

Peanut Butter IS an objectively good source of protein

Chicken breast has 16 grams protein per 52 gram serving
    Peanut butter has 8 grams protein per 32 gram serving
    Bread has less than 3.6 grams protein per 28 gram serving

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2017

GAH. Might as well say that bread is a good source of protein then. So aggravating.

Weight doesn't matter one bit. You're supposed to look at the amount of protein per calories.

200 calories of chicken breast give you 40g of protein
    200 calories of PB will give you 7g of protein
    200 calories of French bread will give you 8g of protein

So yep. French bread is a better source of protein than peanut butter.

200 calories of French bread is half a loaf(8 servings)
    200 calories of PB is half a serving.
    200 calories of chicken breast is 2 servings

Dowhatchalike, but that doesn't make PB a poor source of Protein.

Yes it does. Maybe not a 'poor' one, but definitely not a good one, which is what I was saying. 3.5g of protein per 100 calories is not a good ratio of protein. Heck, Ben&Jerry's vanilla ice cream has 6g of protein for 190 calories!

Also, a serving of French bread is typically 2oz... 140 calories. I'm not sure where you get your 8 servings from.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2017

Weight doesn't matter one bit. You're supposed to look at the amount of protein per calories.

200 calories of chicken breast give you 40g of protein
    200 calories of PB will give you 7g of protein
    200 calories of French bread will give you 8g of protein

So yep. French bread is a better source of protein than peanut butter.

200 calories of French bread is half a loaf(8 servings)
    200 calories of PB is half a serving.
    200 calories of chicken breast is 2 servings

Dowhatchalike, but that doesn't make PB a poor source of Protein.

wat.

Your french bread servings are whack too. 1 serving by your calculations would be 25 calories, that's less than 10 gram.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    beaglady wrote: »
    This isn't really a specific phrase, but I hate when someone joins an internet forum, spends zero time reading old posts to understand the culture of the place, than asks some dumb question that would have been answered in 5 minutes of reading. Ad infinitum.

This totally yes x 1 000 000

That is probably me..lol
  • OhMsDiva
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    "Fluffy".

No, it's fat. I can almost hear the slightly self-deprecating "tee hee" that goes along with "fluffy".

Not weight/health related, but often seen here: "XX years young". Bespeaks denial, self-deprecation, and a pathetic, near-apologetic desperation, when said of oneself; patronizing when used to describe others. (P.S., I'm 61; people my age say this. Yuck. Old is a good thing: Consider the actual alternative, which is not "young".)

Own who you are. Don't apologize, don't imply self-hatred by euphemizing. If you want to be different, change what you can influence or control.

Fat does not offend me, if I am describing myself but I like when the men say I am thick....that's hot.
  • OhMsDiva
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another peevish, elitist pedantry moment: "Palette" instead of "palate".

People, people, people: You put paint on a palette. You use a palate to appreciate flavors. Do not use your palette to choose foods, unless you improbably need to match your colorful veggies to your paintings.

</peevish></elitist></pedantry>

I never knew that. Thank you
  • OhMsDiva
    kar328 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of "skinny minnie." Makes me clench my teeth. I appreciate nice comments on my weight loss, but to me, skinny is not a word I strive for. I prefer to be fit, thinnER (not quite thin yet) or healthy.

I like when people call me skinny. It makes me chuckle cause I know they are giving me a compliment, but I am nowheres close to skinny.
  • OhMsDiva
    Jruzer wrote: »
    There's another thread going right now where the discussion is about "full fat" coke. I know that's a regional colloquialism, maybe started as a joke. But it gives me a full-body shudder.

I just saw that.