Foods with shocking high cals

1789101113»

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Those Sonic ice cream shakes. 2k calories for the large! I had at least one of those a week with my second pregnancy! Now i know why i gained 60 pounds during that pregnancy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Each to their own...I find anything less than 1 cup of ice cream to be a tease, weighed out or not.

My husband is of the opinion that it should be in it's own food group and eaten accordingly.

I make room for at least a cup, as well, or it's not even worth it to me. I make room often. ;)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Matiara wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really think a half cup serving is quite sensible for ice cream. Now, if I eat it out of a pint I'll eat more, which is why that's not a good idea, and it might look tiny in a giant bowl, but if I use a small bowl and eat attentively, it's a really nice post dinner treat, and not unsatisfyingly small. Also, since I always read labels I always knew a serving size was supposed to be a quarter of a pint.

I use a ramekin for ice cream. Then a half-cup serving is positively overflowing out of the "bowl". Psychology for the win! :smiley:

Using a ramekin is exactly what I do. Ice cream was one of the foods I was pleasantly surprised with when I started weighing instead of using measuring cups. 85-95 grams, which is the typical serving size of the brands that I eat, is way more than a half cup measure. For me, it's a satisfying portion.

I usually end up with ice cream with a paltry 70 gram serving. Like Halo Top and Enlightened. I guess that's the trick to keeping it low calorie. :/
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited June 2017
    Delete
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    ice cream can have a lot of calories for half a cup and i think some of ben and jerrys are shocking for half a cup.

I think it's shocking that anyone considers half a cup of ice cream to be an adequate serving size! :'(

So does one of our local ice cream shops.

The kiddie size scoop in a cup is typically the size of a softball. God forbid you'd like two flavors (no extra charge) because instead of doing half size scoops, you get two full sized scoops - one balanced on top of the other. I hate going there, even though they make great ice cream and it's not expensive because I end up having to micro-manage the person doing the scooping or ditch 1/2-3/4 of what they give me.

They make the best coffee ice cream and cinnamon ice cream ever. It's painful for me to throw any of it away, even if I'm full.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    ice cream can have a lot of calories for half a cup and i think some of ben and jerrys are shocking for half a cup.

I think it's shocking that anyone considers half a cup of ice cream to be an adequate serving size! :'(

The kiddie size scoop in a cup is typically the size of a softball. God forbid you'd like two flavors (no extra charge) because instead of doing half size scoops, you get two full sized scoops - one balanced on top of the other. I hate going there, even though they make great ice cream and it's not expensive because I end up having to micro-manage the person doing the scooping or ditch 1/2-3/4 of what they give me.

They make the best coffee ice cream and cinnamon ice cream ever. It's painful for me to throw any of it away, even if I'm full.

I love ice cream, it's a food group next to wine. Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy, and the Vanilla with caramel and chocolate covered waffle cone chunks (can't remember the name). Something that helps satisfy me, I buy the mini versions of the candy bar ice cream things, like twix/snickers, etc.

I tried getting on the halo top bandwagon, but I can't. It tastes too salty? Or not sweet enough? I'm not sure what it is. And if you travel home from the store, it usually loses volume before you get it frozen again. No.
  • df1852
    df1852 Posts: 2 Member
    Nice comments. I'm shocked by the same ones you named and especially upset about the cheese. All recipes now have a fraction of the cheese. Also, sunflower seeds are crazy high in fat. Orange marmalade, which I like to put in yogurt, is 50 cal per tablespoon. Bummer!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    For whatever reason, I don't like plain nut butter. The texture doesn't appeal to me and plus using that many calories on what is essentially licking the spoon doesn't work for me, I need foods to involving sitting down and eating them thoughtfully if I am going to spend real calories.

Luckily, or perhaps unfortunately, I have discovered that half a serving of nut butter in some yogurt mixes better than I would have thought and is absolutely delicious. That makes the volume a little better per calorie, but still, sigh.

Another fan of peanut butter mixed into yogurt. I use Greek vanilla and add a tablespoon or so of hot cocoa mix to make chocolate yogurt, which doesn't come in the 32 oz containers here.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    brittyn3 wrote: »

I love ice cream, it's a food group next to wine. Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy, and the Vanilla with caramel and chocolate covered waffle cone chunks (can't remember the name). Something that helps satisfy me, I buy the mini versions of the candy bar ice cream things, like twix/snickers, etc.

I tried getting on the halo top bandwagon, but I can't. It tastes too salty? Or not sweet enough? I'm not sure what it is. And if you travel home from the store, it usually loses volume before you get it frozen again. No.

Americone dream...sigh. I also love half baked.

And I will admit that half a cup is very satisfying if it's really good ice cream. I just don't think it's reasonable to assume that's how much the average person is eating as a serving.
  • alag1lau
    alag1lau Posts: 1 Member
    Vanilla Chai Frappe from McDonalds :( Even the small size is not worth it.

Cheese, granola, chia seeds, nuts.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    katadx wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly on the ice cream. I SPLIT a malt with my dad and my half was (roughly) 560 calories. My sister had an entire one. I probably could've drank a whole one but I am aware of the calories. I am appalled at how many 'hidden calories' exist in this world. Since I don't want to ruin my family's enjoyment of food, (even though calorie awareness doesn't ruin mine) I refrain from telling them about how many calories are in things. I'm the only one that reads labels and counts. I feel bad about not making them aware (and they don't ask and don't care either) when I see them eat over 2000 in one sitting. Anyone else experience this? I think pizza places are some of the biggest offenders because serving sizes are so ambiguous there.

On a regular basis I dont tell friends or family how many calories are in something if I know it. I will tell me sister, who is also trying to lose weight. Even when I am joking with friends and tell them how many calories that are about to eat they really don't care so it does not bother them.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I really think a half cup serving is quite sensible for ice cream. Now, if I eat it out of a pint I'll eat more, which is why that's not a good idea, and it might look tiny in a giant bowl, but if I use a small bowl and eat attentively, it's a really nice post dinner treat, and not unsatisfyingly small. Also, since I always read labels I always knew a serving size was supposed to be a quarter of a pint.

That. I have a tiny little tupperware bowl that I use to put my ice cream in and amazingly I can eat one serving or less and I am good. I also put the ice cream in the container and I eat my ice cream while watching tv so by the time I am finished with it I am no longer thinking about the ice cream or that I want more.
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Coleslaw !
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »

Americone dream...sigh. I also love half baked.

And I will admit that half a cup is very satisfying if it's really good ice cream. I just don't think it's reasonable to assume that's how much the average person is eating as a serving.

Yes! Thank you! Americone Dream! mmmm. A half cup is definitely enough, but it doesn't mean I don't want more. haha
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Thanks to you guys and this thread, you saved me from extra unlogged calories!

My boyfriend does all of the cooking and figures out my portions. He made homemade Quesadillas tonight and after logging...it seemed off. I thought about this thread and asked: "You didn't use ANY seasoning, sauces, or butter to make the Quesadilla??"

Turns out he used Olive Oil and didn't bother to mention it because he uses so little. I was like "Umm that's like 60 calories. That stuff adds up fast to me not getting to have my nightly brownie & milk really fast!"

Much like my realizing my piles of green olives were high in calories....I "knew" he must be using a bit of oil, but don't always remember to ask. Thanks for this thread, guys! Excellent reminder!

Also remember, olive oil comes from olives. Even without adding oil, they are about 10% fat.

These olives just keep coming back to haunt me.

And he bought "light" sour cream instead of "fat free" and didn't tell me. So I was still logging it as "fat free". Agggghhhh! I eat what I want if that's what I've decided, but I do NOT want extra calories in stuff I'd gladly forego for something better later!

The fats I don't worry about too much. My daily intake is usually under 20% of my Macros at worst.

"Fat Free" worries me. They add additives that are not healthy.

• Marvelchick777
    Marvelchick777 Posts: 1 Member
    Chick-Fil-A sauces are very high in calories for such a little packet!

Yes seriously!! I feel so ripped off when I use the Chickfila sauce!! 140 cals for the little tub!! But I have to have it :p The other shock for me is those complete protein cookies. I didn't realize there was 2 servings at first!
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    those tiny cheesecakes from whole foods...390 :(
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Tq43 wrote: »
    Coleslaw !

If you make it at home and substitute about 2/3 of mayo with fat free yogurt you can really reduce the calories. My favourite shop bought is about 120 kcal for 40g (a heaped tablespoon) the home made stuff I can eat nearly 200g for the same amount of calories.