No weight loss exclusively breastfeeding!

13»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    hist_doc wrote: »
    Our bodies do not "hold onto" fat reserves while we're nursing. You need to create a caloric deficit to lose weight. Eat at maintenance and you'll lose weight as breastfeeding creates the deficit.

Just curious, do you have experience nursing? I don't mean for this to sound confrontational--it's an honest question. The notion that women lose their baby weight from nursing works in theory and some (lucky) women are quite successful at maintaining a steady loss without losing their supply. I was never able to achieve any significant weight loss while nursing my son without compromising my supply--even with an industrial breast pump. I had "friends" pointing out how they "got so thin while breastfeeding" and they "couldn't understand" what was wrong with me.

I'm 4 months post-partum and 2kg under my pre-pregnancy weight. I am breastfeeding on demand 24/7 and THAT is the secret of maintaining a healthy milk supply. Even the skinniest moms manage to breastfeed.

My daughter had a lip and tongue tie.. no matter how much time I put her on the breast (not to mention how much she screamed when I tried) would not have improved the situation. We saw three lactation consultants.. finally saw Dr. Jack Newman and got the ties corrected and it helped. But not all breastfeeding stories end up that way.

Again, just because you are having such an easy time with breastfeeding does not mean it is easy for others. There are so many things that can go wrong and thinking that it has a simple solution is not true.

I'd love to meet Dr Newman! This is a discussion about the efficacy of breastfeeding as a weight loss aid. I, too, have struggled to breastfeed. My little girl, too STILL has a lip tie. That has not prevented us from breastfeeding, though it sure as hell has been difficult and sore. Far, far, far more painful than giving birth.

Any woman who breastfeeds is engaging in a calorie-burning activity. Her lifestyle determines just how big or small a caloric deficit breastfeeding will be.

Some women's appetites increase and they start eating more, thus negating the caloric deficit. Other women fill up on low-calorie vegetables ALL DAY LONG and stay within a reasonable caloric allowance.

You mention how you nurse 24/7, do you mean your baby is at the breast all day? The lip tie could be making draining your milk less efficient which can lead to supply issues down the road. Not saying this is the case, just something to think about.
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    There are so many factors that go into losing weight, and our bodies are very complex (as is evidenced by the fact we are able to produce life!). I played around with my calories and what has sort of worked for me is setting my goal to lose 2 pounds a week at moderate activity level. I don't eat back exercise or breastfeeding calories, but I'm also a big girl (I gained 70 pounds during this pregnancy). Baby is almost 4 months and for the past 2 1/2 months I have lost on average 1 pound a week (even though I am set to 2 pounds a week). I have struggled with my supply through this pregnancy and my previous pregnancy, so it is definitely a delicate balance. Regardless, you are doing AWESOME, and as some of the previous posters have said you'll have time to lose the weight when the baby is no longer breastfeeding (so much easier to say than to do). Hoping you find the right balance for you, your body, and your baby. :)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Yeah, "filling up on low-calorie vegetables" doesn't prevent some women from having serious supply issues if they eat at a deficit. Because the hormones responsible for milk production, reproductive hormones, AND hunger/satiation? They aren't always responding to "full."

Feeling "Full" is a stomach-load and stomach stretching sensation, which can, but does not always, result in hunger hormone responses. Hunger is also a function of other things, many of which are NOT responsive to stuffing your belly with lettuce. If hunger were only about fullness, then all that advice about "fat is satiating," or "protein is satiating" wouldn't be a thing.

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    There is only ONE thing that governs weight-loss: calories in < calories out. I am nursing whenever my little efficient milksucker wants milk, ie more or less every 90 minutes. This includes night-time hence I am saying 24/7

Feed on demand and you, too, shouldn't have any supply issues. Be very honest about your caloric intake v your caloric expenditure and you, too, won't have weight issues.

It really IS simple maths.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    There is only ONE thing that governs weight-loss: calories in < calories out. I am nursing whenever my little efficient milksucker wants milk, ie more or less every 90 minutes. This includes night-time hence I am saying 24/7

Feed on demand and you, too, shouldn't have any supply issues. Be very honest about your caloric intake v your caloric expenditure and you, too, won't have weight issues.

It really IS simple maths.

It really isnt that simple. Some women will NEVER create and maintain a good supply.
    Medical conditions such as thyroid disorders, pcos even obesity can create poor milk supply and conditions with baby such as tounge and lip tie can cause low supply by ineffective milk transfer

Some ladies eating in a deficit can tank the milk supply

Check out the milk meg, kellymom and jack newman for information on this
  • Lashawn71188
    Lashawn71188 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    I exclusively breastfeed my TWINS for 13 months and didn't lose at all and I was pumping as well. I wasn't tracking my calories or anything but I wasn't overeating, I was drinking my calories because I was super thirsty amd I love sweet tea lol. So after the initial weightloss after birth I just maintained. For me if I'm not in the gym then I tend to just maintain. I'm almost 2 years postpartum and I've been able to lose 61 pounds since November by sticking to a calorie deficit, lifting heavy, and doing cardio daily. I didn't start my weight loss journey until after they were 1 1/2. I wish I started sooner but the weight is coming off now so no biggie!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    I bf'ed for 31 months, and didn't lose a pound.
    BTW-- ebf means extended breast feeding. This refers to breast feeding for longer than a year.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    I didn't lose any weight EBF until I started doing Weight watchers. My appetite was through the roof, so I was actually gaining weight. I highly recommend weight watchers while breastfeeding, because it's really simple, and I was able to maintain my milk supply. I lost 40 lbs over a year using their program and adding exercise in very slowly, like 2-3 days a week.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    kavahni wrote: »
    BTW-- ebf means extended breast feeding. This refers to breast feeding for longer than a year.

Ebf can mean exclusive too
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    kavahni wrote: »

EBF does not mean extended breastfeeding. It means exclusive/ly breastfeeding.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    OK. Exclusive. On the bf board I belonged to back in the day, it meant extended, and a lot of women thought that anything longer that three to six months constituted "extended." Which is sad.