Fit bit is giving me 1427 exercise calories?!

1235»

Replies

• Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2017
    5e0ffsuwquvm.png
    Here let me make this clear to every one lol.
    Thank you for all the replies. Total steps for the day was 8500 including stairs and bike riding. Does the heart rate add exercise calories?
  • Molly_234
    This was yesterdays
  • brandipirkey
    brandipirkey Posts: 8 Member
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I mostly eat back my fitbit calories and am still losing 1kg a week.

Fitbit works on intensity of the steps, not just how many steps you've done. So if you did 8k steps really quickly you will burn more calories than if you slow ambled them across the whole day.

I agree when you do the steps really fast your doing them to where it's burning the fat. But if you just do them here and there, then you won't burn as bad.
  • KristieMidisty
    KristieMidisty Posts: 3 Member
    Best advice? DITCH Fitbit. It sucks. Garmin vivofit is the best!!!! Never have to charge it. It never has issues!!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the replies. Total steps for the day was 8500 including stairs and bike riding. Does the heart rate add exercise calories?

Bike riding won't add steps, though. Stairs will burn more calories than steps that don't involve elevation gain.

All that said, 20 minutes of cycling (since you said 10 minutes each way to work) and a few hundred of the steps being on stairs shouldn't put you up to a 1400 calorie adjustment on 8500 steps. I'd expect 300-400 over sedentary for the 8500 steps. The rest doesn't sound like it should add up to 1000 cals. So, something is wrong.

Did you check that your height, weight, age and stride length were entered correctly on both your FitBit and MFP accounts?

FWIW, at that activity level, I wouldn't expect you to gain on 2000 calories. I just wouldn't expect you to lose. Your maintenance at that activity level is probably slightly over 2000.
  • Molly_234
    UPDATE: So I checked yesterday's log for the 3rd time today and it finally adjusted to what seems like a normal calorie adjustment. Now it says I have 732 calories adjusted from the exercise. So there must have been a delay or something wrong with the sync. 732 still sounds high to me but if it's correct then that's awesome since I did bad this past weekend! I'm just going to stick to my normal calorie goal.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    I've had a fit bit charge 2 since mid April, I eat back 25% of the adjustment now and lose on average 1.5 pounds a week.
    A couple times a week I will eat 50%.
    20 pounds lost so far!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Bike riding won't add steps, though. Stairs will burn more calories than steps that don't involve elevation gain.

All that said, 20 minutes of cycling (since you said 10 minutes each way to work) and a few hundred of the steps being on stairs shouldn't put you up to a 1400 calorie adjustment on 8500 steps. I'd expect 300-400 over sedentary for the 8500 steps. The rest doesn't sound like it should add up to 1000 cals. So, something is wrong.

Did you check that your height, weight, age and stride length were entered correctly on both your FitBit and MFP accounts?

FWIW, at that activity level, I wouldn't expect you to gain on 2000 calories. I just wouldn't expect you to lose. Your maintenance at that activity level is probably slightly over 2000.

I've seen some huge over estimations for cycling calories here...someone with a bike ride of 30 min and burned 1000 cal, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 1400 is what MFP reported (I actually asked that question because I burn only a shade over 1000 on a 3.5hr bike ride)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Note also that one detail about how MFP relays Fitbit's info, is that MFP assumes you will be sedentary/active/whatever-you-selected for the rest of the day. So if you ARE highly active in the morning, some of that adjustment will go away as the day moves on. And overnight.

Example... Assume my bmr is 50/hour. And based on my activity level setting, MFP expects me to burn 1800 per day. Which works out to 75/hr.

I wake up at 6am. I sync. Fitbit tells MFP that I've burned 300 so far. (BMR) MFP says I am behind schedule, I should be at 450 so its a -150 adjustment.

Maybe I eat a snack and then go for a 10k run which takes me about 70 minutes and burns 630 calories. I shower, get ready for work so I'm moving around the house. As of 8am Fitbit says I have now burned 1000 calories. MFP expected 600 by 8am, so now its +400.

I don't do much movement thru my commute/lunch/workday. At 6pm Fitbit says I have burned a total of 1650. MFP expected 1350, so now my adjustment drops to +300.

Grocery shopping and whatnot after work, and I walk the dogs. At 9pm I'm ready for bed and Fitbit says I have burned 1850. Now the adjustment is +275. Keep in mind that MFP expects me to still burn 75/hr until midnight but I'm going to bed. I will only burn a tad over BMR. So tomorrow when I sync Fitbit will show my prior day total as 2015. and the adjustment changes to +215.

That is how they work together. MFP always taking Fitbit's data for what you've burned so far, then estimating how much more you will burn.
    MFP always gives me more calories than fitbit does. I do not pay attention to either one though. Unless my daily calories is about 1200 calories, there is no way I can even eat half of what mfp or fitbit gives me and still lose weight. I do like to see how many calories I have burned each day, but I do not sync until I am about to go to bed and have already logged my calories for the day.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    UPDATE: So I checked yesterday's log for the 3rd time today and it finally adjusted to what seems like a normal calorie adjustment. Now it says I have 732 calories adjusted from the exercise. So there must have been a delay or something wrong with the sync. 732 still sounds high to me but if it's correct then that's awesome since I did bad this past weekend! I'm just going to stick to my normal calorie goal.

That's from your fitbit doing the negative calorie adjustment. I'm not sure if it just assumes that for instance, if you do a lot of activity in the morning, that you will continue with the same level of activity throughout the day, so it gives you an elevated calorie count.

Mine used to do that as well. It would say a specific number, for instance 2,000 calorie burn and then would reduce to a more reasonable 1,500 calorie burn by the next morning.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Note also that one detail about how MFP relays Fitbit's info, is that MFP assumes you will be sedentary/active/whatever-you-selected for the rest of the day. So if you ARE highly active in the morning, some of that adjustment will go away as the day moves on. And overnight.

Example... Assume my bmr is 50/hour. And based on my activity level setting, MFP expects me to burn 1800 per day. Which works out to 75/hr.

I wake up at 6am. I sync. Fitbit tells MFP that I've burned 300 so far. (BMR) MFP says I am behind schedule, I should be at 450 so its a -150 adjustment.

Maybe I eat a snack and then go for a 10k run which takes me about 70 minutes and burns 630 calories. I shower, get ready for work so I'm moving around the house. As of 8am Fitbit says I have now burned 1000 calories. MFP expected 600 by 8am, so now its +400.

I don't do much movement thru my commute/lunch/workday. At 6pm Fitbit says I have burned a total of 1650. MFP expected 1350, so now my adjustment drops to +300.

Grocery shopping and whatnot after work, and I walk the dogs. At 9pm I'm ready for bed and Fitbit says I have burned 1850. Now the adjustment is +275. Keep in mind that MFP expects me to still burn 75/hr until midnight but I'm going to bed. I will only burn a tad over BMR. So tomorrow when I sync Fitbit will show my prior day total as 2015. and the adjustment changes to +215.

That is how they work together. MFP always taking Fitbit's data for what you've burned so far, then estimating how much more you will burn.
    MFP always gives me more calories than fitbit does. I do not pay attention to either one though. Unless my daily calories is about 1200 calories, there is no way I can even eat half of what mfp or fitbit gives me and still lose weight. I do like to see how many calories I have burned each day, but I do not sync until I am about to go to bed and have already logged my calories for the day.

Sounds like logging errors to me, if you can't eat even half of the exercise adjustments from the two systems without gaining weight.