Seriously depressed with lack of progress

13»

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    You don't log anything at all on the weekends; problem solved. Your yolo weekends are killing your deficit. Nothing wrong with over days (if you are still in an overall deficit) but do log them and log them accurately because as you learned the body keeps an accurate journal no matter what you write down (or dont)
    Yes! My weekends occasionally involve wine. I love the wine! However, I prepare for that. Sometimes it's eating less to soften the blow or coming to terms with the number on the scale. I don't beat myself up too much because I simply know better.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    theledger5 wrote: »
    I couldnt log the oatmeal sachets as when you scan them they quote for the serving including milk and I use almond milk which is a lot less. I had to tweak the measurements to get the right figure but I did my maths. I am yet to figure out how to change the portions for exact weights as most things seem to be in 100g then you have to fraction the portion. Is there an easier way of doing this that I am unaware of??!!

If you eat 56 grams then you have eaten .56 of a 100 gram portion so enter the serving size as .56. If you eat 314 grams, you've eaten 3.14 portions of 100 grams.

What brand of oats are you using? Post the brand so we can see the label. It is quite odd for nutrition info to only include prepared info. If you don't have the label, how much milk does it say to add to the oats in order to prepare it?

It sounds like your logging is off and intermittent which make a big difference but we should be able to help with some of this.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Keep it up. Positive encouragement your way. Seven pounds and a steadily healthy diet and exercise is nothing to be discouraged by (but lots of good advice here, as well).

One thing -- try adding an Insanity Max 30 (or something like it) to your mornings. Getting yourself winded with some HIIT training can help you kick through a plateau.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    I will just like to add that I am pleased with the feedback that she's rcvd in here. So much love from MFP posters.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some entries seem inaccurate. There's no way that 2 peaches are only 76 calories. Weigh them. 55g of oats is not 100 calories either, but closer to 180.. and you have those a lot. And weigh your honey as well. One hot dog is typically closer to 400 calories than 240. One slice of cake will never be only 160 calories LOL.

All this in the last couple days. Guaranteed that you're eating more than you think.

That being said, I'm guessing you're just hitting a stall.. even if you ate 1800 calories, you should be losing. Log more accurately, and be patient.

Quoting for emphasis. This is where your problem is OP.

Double check the entries you are using. Use the food scale, even for stuff you are scanning.

Commit to logging accurately for two weeks, no rounding, double checking the entries you're using, weighing every portion on the food scale, logging every single thing. It should shine a light on where the problem is so you can move forward. Good luck!

And double check some values. Again, dry oatmeal is 150 calories for 40g.

The oatmeal sachets I use are pre measured at 27g, it quotes 189 cals as made up with semi skimmed milk which is 75 cals per 100ml. I use almond milk at 13cals per 100ml so I'm sure my logging for that entry is correct

@theledger5 Pre-packaged items can be off by 30% (or more) from what the packaging says. For example: I had a fiber one bar the other day - package said it was a 33g portion for 140 calories. I weighed it out of curiousity and it was 38g - which means it was 161 calories, not 140. Each little difference like this can add up to major calorie additions in your day and affect your weight loss.
    You don't log anything at all on the weekends; problem solved. Your yolo weekends are killing your deficit. Nothing wrong with over days (if you are still in an overall deficit) but do log them and log them accurately because as you learned the body keeps an accurate journal no matter what you write down (or dont)

^ This also. You should be logging everything, every day. One day of eating without logging could EASILY be 3,000+ calories and throw off a weeks deficit - especially when combined with what I said above...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Deja vu.

Just refer to mine/others replies in your May and April threads.

What happened to trusting the plan?
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Deja vu.

Because I have plateaued so quickly. After having a few losses I felt I'd got my head around it, was tracking accurately- more so in the last month (apart from holiday) and yet it's not working for me. I can't explain how little I eat for someone of my size. People around me at work and home are commenting on my lack of food and the fact I weight everything to the point i feel it's taking over my life. Every time I step on the scale and see the same number I am losing hope. I am crying as I write this and I don't know what more I can do. Even allowing for the odd inaccurate log I am still eating well under my TDEE of 1800. I really do appreciate all the advice and will keep plugging at it but when progress is virtually non existent then it's hard not to get demotivated. Everyone around me knows I am calorie tracking and each week keeps asking me how I am doing as I am clearly watching what I eat and I have nothing to report.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Deja vu.

Because I have plateaued so quickly. After having a few losses I felt I'd got my head around it, was tracking accurately- more so in the last month (apart from holiday) and yet it's not working for me. I can't explain how little I eat for someone of my size. People around me at work and home are commenting on my lack of food and the fact I weight everything to the point i feel it's taking over my life. Every time I step on the scale and see the same number I am losing hope. I am crying as I write this and I don't know what more I can do. Even allowing for the odd inaccurate log I am still eating well under my TDEE of 1800. I really do appreciate all the advice and will keep plugging at it but when progress is virtually non existent then it's hard not to get demotivated. Everyone around me knows I am calorie tracking and each week keeps asking me how I am doing as I am clearly watching what I eat and I have nothing to report.

maybe you TDEE/BMR is lower than you think it is? once you start logging everything for awhile and not having cheat days(make things you like fit into your daily goal),then if you arent losing a month or so from that time I would see a dr to rule anything out.TDEE changes everyday,depending on how much activity you are doing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Not logging on the weekends is the answer here. You could be /probably are wiping out your whole weeks deficit on the weekends. I know that's what happened me in the early days, I still logged sort of on the weekend but my rate of loss was so slow I knew I had to tighten up on the weekends too if I wanted to make progress. Log consistently every single day.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I am 5'8", 188lbs and have no thyroid but on meds to control it.

To rule anything medical out, I would see my doctor to make sure my meds are correct and working.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    OP, everyone gets discouraged at times. Things just don't go the way we want them to, not matter how hard we're trying. You have two choices: you can quit and then things will never change. Or you can keep going, be proud of what you've done so far and fight for the health you want to have.

If this was easy, everyone would be at a healthy weight. One meal, one snack, one workout at a time. Just keep going. It will pay off in the end.