Why eating too little calories is a bad idea.....

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Wow great information. I had an ex that would get grumpy if he didn't get enough sleep. Overall the accuracy is what I like from what I heard. How do you get a food scale? Or where, i mean?!

Really? Walmart, Target, Kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond, Shopko, basically any department store that has a kitchen section - and they all do. Or Amazon.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hmmm. He's wrong about something.

"Popular diet apps like MyFitnessPal constantly suggesting “1200 calories” as the ideal daily calorie intake for a wide range of the women who use it."

MFP has it set as a floor, not as an ideal. Funny that MFP is set up pretty much to agree with what he says, but he misses this point (and I like the site).

Yes, it only appears as if MFP is suggesting 1200 as an ideal because everyone runs in and chooses 2 pounds per week and sedentary. I still think a 'suggested rate of loss' based on current weight and goal weight would be a valuable addition to the goal setup screen.
    Sheesh: MFP has never suggested 1200 Calories/day for me.

(I've always put in "sedentary," because I always have been; but I've never put in more than 1.5 lbs/week.)

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hmmm. He's wrong about something.

"Popular diet apps like MyFitnessPal constantly suggesting “1200 calories” as the ideal daily calorie intake for a wide range of the women who use it."

MFP has it set as a floor, not as an ideal. Funny that MFP is set up pretty much to agree with what he says, but he misses this point (and I like the site).

Yes, it only appears as if MFP is suggesting 1200 as an ideal because everyone runs in and chooses 2 pounds per week and sedentary. I still think a 'suggested rate of loss' based on current weight and goal weight would be a valuable addition to the goal setup screen.
    Sheesh: MFP has never suggested 1200 Calories/day for me.

(I've always put in "sedentary," because I always have been; but I've never put in more than 1.5 lbs/week.)

You would eventually, if you kept the sedentary setting and set it to lose 2 pounds a week :wink: For my height and weight, set to sedentary, I get 1350 calories when set to lose 1/2 pound per week - which means I'd hit the 1200 floor at 1, 1.5, or 2 pounds.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    1200 probably appears default to new users, who then hear of others that got it, as if some big surprise.

And precisely because of picking Sedentary and 2 lb loss goal.

A chart of recommended loss rates would be great.

A tad more on activity levels would be smart also - so many getting activity trackers that look at what they get before they get inspired to move more - already moving into Lightly Active.

A 40 hr desk job doesn't mean sedentary lifestyle for the other 40 hrs during the week and then throw the weekend in there.

All very true...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Bump
  • tinkerbellang83
    Bump
  • tinkerbellang83
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member