Frustrated vegetarian

Options
13»

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Being a "vegetarian" does not make you lose weight.
    It just means you may have a harder time getting enough protein and that you may be short on some vitamins & minerals.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I hit my protein no prob on my vegetarian days. Beans, vegan protein powders, eggs, cheeses, Tofu, I love morning stars vegan chik,'n' so good and 23gms of protein
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since the issue is that you feel better when not eating meat, I think maybe the first thing is to identify what about eating meat was making you feel bad. Too much saturated fat? If that's the case then eating leaner meats might work. Or maybe you are just eating more veggies than you used to, and that helps.

Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are my quick fixes when I need a little low-cal protein. Fish are also excellent - try a variety of fish, especially fatty fish such as salmon, which are great for you. The most important thing as far as including more fish in my diet was finding where to buy them locally - the fish at standard groceries are disgusting here, while at ethnic markets they are much fresher and more varied.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but when I do a meatless day, the only way I can get near 100g protein without blowing out my cals is incorporating eggs, greek yogurt, and lentils. I agree you don't have to kill yourself to get to 120g of protein, so maybe back that down a little and take some of the pressure off :)
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    Beans, veggies like edamame, and tofu/tempeh/seitan are all great for protein. I also try to make sure the carbs/grains I'm eating also have a fair amount of protein - lentils, certain pastas, etc. - so my base doesn't go to waste.

However my favorite way to get protein is Greek yogurt - it can go into so many things! When I eat sauces I'll mix them with plain yogurt for a protein boost that doesn't change the flavor profile. I could snack on zucchini slices with BBQ sauce and Greek yogurt in a 1:1 ratio all day. Also, I'll make a variation on these Greek yogurt pancakes that are delicious: http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/08/15/greek-yogurt-pancakes/

I know you said you're tired of eggs, but I'd feel bad leaving out egg drop soup, because I eat it all the time. It's super low calorie, but also very filling and a different way to eat eggs.
  • rachieliz93
    rachieliz93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since October and I am trying to lose some weight. I did the first few months the wrong way... Supplementing protein for carbs and fat. Well now I am tracking everything and I am having the HARDEST time making my protein. I am so frustrated I am about to start forcing myself to eat meat. I will preface this with, I am not a vegetarian because I want to save all the animals... My body just does not do well with meat. I've really enjoyed how I feel not eating meat but I need to have a better way of obtaining it daily.

Any ideas??? Please don't tell me chickpeas. Hummus and peanut butter don't cut it.

Vegan here,
    I add soaked cashews to my pasta sauces (in a food processor or blender) it makes everything taste rich and creamy. Has 20g protein in half a cup of cashews. You can also add them to smoothies and nice cream!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like ThinkThin protein bars.