What do you do when friends and family talk about weight?

2»

Replies

• erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I think, too, people have no concept of weight in general. Like, I weigh 318 and 328 a few weeks ago. I'm also 6' tall. So while I'm very clearly overweight, people are FLOORED when I Say the actual number. Even at my lightest when I was 17 I was 180 and only slightly pudgy in the stomach and people would make comments about women not being over 150lbs and I"d be like...excuse me?

I don't engage anymore. It just got frustrating. Whatever. Yeah it hurts my feelings but I honestly think it's ignorance rather than cruelty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    175 seems like a pretty arbitrary cut-off...175 could be fat...could not be fat. I'm 182 and about 15%...at 175 I'm about 12% BF...pretty lean if you ask me...certainly am not taking up two seats.

Most fit guys who are around 5'10" are likely to be somewhere between 170-185...more if they're body building types.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    That's pretty rude to say.. especially with you present. From another viewpoint, I'm on a weight loss journey and one of my friends is in the 300s and is working on losing weight. She likes to say that I was never "big" to begin with (my highest weight was 215) , and that it kinda hurts whenever I complain about my body in front of her, knowing her situation. I'd say to tell them that it's upsetting to hear them say things like that