leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Jmatievich wrote: »
    Why can't/won't some eat it?

Eat what?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member

Some people's body can't handle the sugar source that Halo Top & Enlightened use.

It causes some headaches, constipation, & diarrhea.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I got a coupon for a free Halo Top from Kroger and it just tastes off ... cookie dough flavor ... I think it is the sugar alcohols in it. I personally cannot have sugar alcohols due to my ulcerative colitis (in remission). While I can eat almost anything, this particular ingredient could easily undo all the healing in my gut. Nope, I just don't even try. I would rather just bank my calories and indulge in the real deal ...
  • kamarismom
    kamarismom Posts: 50 Member

Some people's body can't handle the sugar source that Halo Top & Enlightened use.

I really hope I'm not one of those people because I already suffer from two of those things and I just bought a pint
  • leanitup123
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I got a coupon for a free Halo Top from Kroger and it just tastes off ... cookie dough flavor ... I think it is the sugar alcohols in it. I personally cannot have sugar alcohols due to my ulcerative colitis (in remission). While I can eat almost anything, this particular ingredient could easily undo all the healing in my gut. Nope, I just don't even try. I would rather just bank my calories and indulge in the real deal ...

But you still had a pint even knowing that you are sensitive to sugar alcohol?
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    rhtexasgal wrote: »

But you still had a pint even knowing that you are sensitive to sugar alcohol?

It was free! I took one bite and then passed it off to my teenage son I fondly call "Hoover" because he sucked it right up ... I think he is a bit sensitive to sugar alcohols too because he passed a lot of gas hours later. Oops!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I've only tried the vanilla and it's very good!

I can't mention anything about texture. I have to drive 40 minutes home so while I try to keep it frozen, it doesn't always stay very frozen. That may mess with how hard it is or not. I just let it rest for a few minutes before dishing it out.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    kamarismom wrote: »

I really hope I'm not one of those people because I already suffer from two of those things and I just bought a pint

It's hit or miss with me. Really random but I'll get shooting cramps after eating half a pint of one flavor, then I'll have half a pint of another and i'll be fine. (specifically cookie dough and strawberry gave me cramps) It's so weird. Now i'll just have a couple spoonfuls at a time.
  • kamarismom
    kamarismom Posts: 50 Member
    I finally popped open my sea salt caramel and its not bad but the pint was only 60% full
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Jeez. I literally JUST LEFT Kroger, and I almost never go there. I would have looked for it!
  • leanitup123
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Jeez. I literally JUST LEFT Kroger, and I almost never go there. I would have looked for it!

You'll have to go back!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I had the vanilla bean Low Cow tonight. Very good!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I have been eating this ice cream every day but haven't lost any weight. What am I doing wrong? :o

m2p65hrmo6zp.jpg

Ew haha
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    I got a pint of the sea salt caramel and a pint of the chocolate. It did thaw a bit in the car and so it was hard as a rock when we got around to eating it later that evening, having re-frozen. It spent a few seconds in the microwave to make it edible. As a result, I can't say anything about texture really. But, the sea salt caramel was just as good as the Halo Top and the chocolate, in my opinion, was better. It's a much more chocolaty chocolate, if that makes sense. Add in the price difference and buying the Low Cow is a no-brainer.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    I finally popped open my sea salt caramel and its not bad but the pint was only 60% full

Same. I got one the other day. Tasted pretty much identical to the Halo Top version, but the ice cream looked like it had been dropped into the pint container after being frozen in a .75 pint container. So much empty space on top and completely around the sides.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member

Same. I got one the other day. Tasted pretty much identical to the Halo Top version, but the ice cream looked like it had been dropped into the pint container after being frozen in a .75 pint container. So much empty space on top and completely around the sides.

You know, ours was that way too...but it FELT completely full when I got it out of the freezer in the store. It's as though it somehow shrinks as it thaws a bit. Does that make sense? It felt full and hard when I got it. When I got it home, I thought it was squishy, the sides were so soft, but my husband took the top off and it was soft because there was space.

Is that even possible? I suppose I might have been mistaken, but I'm sure it felt full originally, because I squeezed to see if it was brick-hard like the Halo.
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Breyers too!! Its like Christmas in July. :D I like the Halo top but the price is 5.00 a pint here. I have tried the Arctic Ice too and that was crap. :(
  • Wynterbourne
    LadyLilion wrote: »

You know, ours was that way too...but it FELT completely full when I got it out of the freezer in the store. It's as though it somehow shrinks as it thaws a bit. Does that make sense? It felt full and hard when I got it. When I got it home, I thought it was squishy, the sides were so soft, but my husband took the top off and it was soft because there was space.

Is that even possible? I suppose I might have been mistaken, but I'm sure it felt full originally, because I squeezed to see if it was brick-hard like the Halo.

Mine was the same. Yeah, it was almost like it had shrunk upon freezing. Really strange.
  • Wynterbourne
    ocnldy wrote: »
    SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Breyers too!! Its like Christmas in July. :D I like the Halo top but the price is 5.00 a pint here. I have tried the Arctic Ice too and that was crap. :(

Depending on what macros, if any, beyond the calories you're interested it, you should know that while the Kroger brand is a true "copy", the Breyer's brand (at least the ones I checked) have zero fiber. I like being able to eat a pint and know I've just gotten half my day's fiber. I probably won't be buying any of the Breyer's brand for that reason, but that's just what I prefer for them. If you're not interested in the fiber, you've definitely got more options now.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    ocnldy wrote: »

Depending on what macros, if any, beyond the calories you're interested it, you should know that while the Kroger brand is a true "copy", the Breyer's brand (at least the ones I checked) have zero fiber. I like being able to eat a pint and know I've just gotten half my day's fiber. I probably won't be buying any of the Breyer's brand for that reason, but that's just what I prefer for them. If you're not interested in the fiber, you've definitely got more options now.

Hah! Now I'll have to look for the Breyer's.