WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    I am loving all the insightful and wise comments about my decision about the new side gig. You ladies really are the best! I am feeling better about following my gut, gathering more info. I don't feel bad about this situation as I initially did! Thanks everyone for the wisdom and support.

Heading to the "The Big Sick" tonight with DD and then the weekend will be filled with a visit from or god son.

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,595 Member
    KJ - Your charges are about the same per week per child as over here. What you are charging only covers 25 hours per week here though. That's only 5 hours a day. Of course in London it would be MUCH more. :o You are talking twice as much. Those prices are unaffordable for most people with more than one child. My DDIL decided it was nearly the same price to get a nanny/housekeeper, so that they also got cleaning and babysitting.
    DH's niece is now 38 and single and desperate to have a child. The cost is insuperable. I don't think she can do it. There are countries in Europe, like Denmark and France, where all child care is heavily subsidised, but, of course, their taxes are very high. In England you either have to be very poor, like your clients, or very well off. :noway:
    You do an amazing job with your crew. :flowerforyou: Your clients are very, very lucky.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,990 Member
    evening ladies~
    im home and got a call from my brother, screaming, swearing, he is a recovering alcoholic and thinks he has to control everything and take care of everything.. so he was screaming at me about how he is doing everything, im not helping, I care to much about everything here etc... he has tried to call twice, gonna let it go to voice mail...
    my attorney has filed for temporary alimony, so we shall see how that all goes. my attorney hasn't heard hide nor hair from his attorney and there deposition is a week away.. very odd..
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Hello all: Well got through my entertaining this week and am I relieved. It was supposed to rain yesterday and I thought we would have to have bookclub inside but the rain stayed away and we were able to use the gazebo. Yeah!! DH went to Seattle to meet Dson and go to a baseball game. He won't be home until late this evening and I am really enjoying the quiet afternoon. DD and I are eating chicken white chili for dinner tonight.

Karen - I used your suggestion of peach cobbler for dessert for the book club and everyone thought it was a great idea. Served it with a little ice cream. Thanks!

Katla - Happy birthday! Glad you enjoyed that elephant ear.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,816 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »

So for myself there is a company that will pack your ashes into fireworks then take the folks on a party boat out into international waters and put on a fireworks show…. I’d love to go out with a BANG!
    Smiles

Kim from N. California

This is an awesome idea! I was born on the 4th of July and we always kid that I came in with a "bang." What a hoot to go out with a bang as well!!

Beth
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,575 Member
    Karen NY - yes, a lot of wise ladies here with great insight and suggestions. I agree - try to find out more about the role of the other person and if the ultimate goal is to have 2 from here on out (as someone mentioned - good for a backup). You don't need the $$, but it could be good experience AND a little "pin money" and working toward a neat retirement job. I once was hired as an executive director of a small association. Once I accepted the position, I was told I would be "job sharing" (EEK!) with a "friend" of one of the board members who had no computer skills and I was to teach those to her in my spare time and keep my hours under 20 per week. I needed the job and the health insurance but only stuck it out about 4 months. I think your situation is much different but it's good to know what the Board is planning and how many hours you'll have to invest.

Kelly - so sorry you are owed $$ for your fabulous child care. I hope the payment comes through soon. I think you are worth every penny you charge, and then some.

Heather - how long do you have an obligation to the real estate agent on your house concerning that buyer they showed the house to? Will you still have to pay the agent a fee if you don't want to sell anymore? Good job on the seat covers!

Leigh
    - adorable wedding photo and cute story about things being blurry! Long hair on guys was sure the style back then.

Katla - Elephant Ear sounds like perfect birthday cake! Glad you had a good time at the fair! Cute tale about your wedding and your MIL being 6 years early on the baby stuff. :s

<3 Love all the wedding stories you gals are sharing, by the way. <3

Made "baked" chicken breasts in the Instant Pot. I found "Ranger" free range chicken at Safeway, very reasonably priced. Not organic, but non-GMO and the birds actually saw daylight and ate some bugs. The chicken turned out great - I could have cooked it a minute less but still, it was pretty moist.

Doing well on the no/low sugar since the kind of high fasting blood sugar numbers the other morning. I looked at my blood test results for the past 15 years, and the fasting numbers ranged between 99 and 109 at the doctor's office. I think the cutoff used to be 105 or 110 for pre-diabetes but seems it has been lowered to 100. My grandfather had diabetes and my grandma drilled us in the symptoms about "sugar" - excessive thirst, excessive peeing of course, losing weight, etc. I don't have any of that, thank goodness. I can't recall if grandpa took medication, but I do recall he'd have to dip strips in his urine (or maybe get the strip into the "stream") to check for sugar. I like the little finger-prick device.

That's the latest. Hugs to you all! <3

Lanette
    Sunny and hot SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,816 Member
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Someone mentioned they'd like to be thrown in a casket and buried, no embalming. It is quite possible to do that and there are even places where they encourage wicker basket caskets so natural decay can take place completely.
    Melting in Houston,
    Marcelyn

I did not know this was possible ... I thought laws prohibited groundwater contamination and required vaults to keep decay from seeping into the ground? I wonder if this varies from state to state? Embalming and hermetically sealed vaults ensures we turn to goo ... not ashes.

Interesting conversation.... I'm way behind so I'm coming to the party a little late ....

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2017
    Heather: Thank you for the elephant ear link! :smiley:

DH & I drove to Longview to the Home Depot store to look at possible handrails for the steps to our deck. Some of their items might do, although nothing is an exact match to what is already there. The company that made our original deck fencing is no longer in business. DH is quite pleased with what we found. Although this won't be the same as everything else, it will blend in okay. The trip home was long and slow due to a traffic accident on Highway 30.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
    stats for the day:

**wahoo hrm not recording :0/ **
    all apple watch-

bike ride hm 2 gym- 10.40min, 16.5mph. 2.9mi = 95c
    Plyometrics exercises- 12.19min, 1set of 20each, squats, ceiling to fl single leg touches, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, crunches, sit-ups, on butt-knees to chest = 97c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 1hr 3min 27sec., 13.2amph, 13.9mi = 559c
    run sta 2 wk- 4.49min, 9.24min mi, .5mi = 57c
    run wk 2 sta- 4.43min, 10.22min mi, .4mi = 51c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.44min, 8.8amph, 2..6mi, wide! = 143c

total cal 1002 (just made it)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Marcelyn, you win the prize today for the strangest “freezer story”. That was one I never heard of and I’ve heard lots of stories at my age. I’ll never hear about dry ice again that I don’t think of that story. LOL

Okie, welcome. We don’t mind having you children with us as long as you don’t mention “old age”. Lol We are delight to have you join this great group of women who are great for inspiration, support and helpful information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also appreciate it if you will sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

MicheleNC, California Dreaming is a restaurant chain. I know they have them in other cities but they may only be in SC. I didn’t know about them until we started coming to Myrtle Beach. It was really packed there but then most restaurants are at this time of year.

NYKaren, sorry you didn’t get the offer you wanted but I don’t see how this makes you feel like a second fiddle. (funny pun) You must have both been great so I’d consider ½ the season and enjoy the rest of the time off.

Heather, if your DH has had his sofa cover for 27 years, maybe he just needs a new one.

Joyce, some people make declawing sound so cruel but we have had it done to two different cats and they never skipped a beat. I love animals and would never be cruel to them but if they will destroy my house it’s get rid of the claws or the cat. Glad you have a good vet that did the job. And glad the kitten is doing well.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had planned to go to the gym again today but this morning decided against it. I rode my cardio-glider for 40 minutes and did my arm exercises with 8 lb dumb bells.
    Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Katla. Happy belated birthday!!! The road to Fort Stevens is off to the right past the four way, and the cemetery is off to the left. Kind of in the back corner of a neighborhood.
    Glad you found your railing!
    Hugs!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Today I did blood work, and urine, for my persistent aches. The doctor stated that it sounded like kidney stones, but to await results. I have been blessed with feeling fairly healthy, so its frustrating. My BP was 123/82 so that's good.
    I will be patient!
    Becca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did 50 min of the Cardio Metabolic Interval DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Mel B Workout DVD

A friend came over today and we got the things for the crafts for Denise's shower favor. We made the wine cork keychain and started on the wine glass charms. However, we didn't count right so I need to have more beads, only the store doesn't have them so they have to order them from another store. First we went to ACMoore, then Home Depot, the Dollar Store, Michael's and then my house to work on the crafts.

Jess should be down here tomorrow to look at the car she is having shipped from TN.

NYKaren - I think margaret had an excellent suggestion. I really believe, too, that you both must have been excellent and they are having a real hard time deciding which of you is the better of the two.

Lenora - now that's too funny about the canoe. I can just imagine the person who stole the car's look on their face when they saw what was in the canoe.

Made biscuits for tomorrow's dinner. Now I'm making chocolate cookies to give the guy whose wife recently passed. He likes to go to the birthday celebration at ceramics, and I know that he doesn't have time to bake, so I'll make some for him. Then made a chocolate cake. We shall see how it turns out

Felicia - how wonderful that you were able to wear your ring

Beth - I'm so sorry for your husband and his family not driving to the wedding. I can totally understand your mother's feeling. What a time you had! But everything worked out and now you can laugh about it. I bet at the time you weren't laughing. If I'm not mistaken, you can also have your ashes made into a diamond or some such jewel. Oh no, checking account compromised! You've certainly had yourself enough drama for one day!

DJ - now I remember seeing a California Dreamin restaurant when we went to go see TSO one time in SC. Let me tell you, no matter what time of year it is, restaurants are always packed around here

Michele in NC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    NYKAREN I certainly wouldn't decline the job. What if the other party decided to decline? Then you may end up with it full time anyway!

Had a good day and a great dinner at Salsas Mexican restaurant. I did good by ordering a Taco Salad with shredded chicken and I didn't eat the shell. I stayed within my calories. Even had two beers!

Have a good evening!
    Dana in Arkansas