Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I fell down the adhd tiktok hole & I'm pretty sure I have it.

I was warned to not even download it!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    I fell down the adhd tiktok hole & I'm pretty sure I have it.

I was warned to not even download it!

I love tiktok. So many creative people!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    TikTok is something I have never gotten into. I am a bit afraid if I did it would just be a huge time suck and I have plenty of those already and don't need another!

@quilteryoyo - I am so sorry you are going back through all this with your cousin again. Our healthcare system is so broken. If you are relatively young and healthy it can work fine but as soon as it is something out of the ordinary or difficult to define they just seem to want to pass you off to someone else.
    I hope everything is ok with your mom's heart. Kinda surprised the PCP didn't talk to the cardiologist first before putting her on medication for the low BP. I was told once to do everything possible before taking meds for low blood pressure because once you are on them it is very difficult to get off of them.

@swenson19d - interesting on the adhd. I think it was so diagnosed a while back, especially in kids, that doctors now hesitate to really consider it or prescribe for it.

I had a really good day today. Ran my Scooby-Doo 10k and did it in a decent for me right now time. Then had agility class that was challenging but super fun. There were only 2 of us so we got lots of runs in and then did drills that are always fun, wear out the pups and aren't too much running for the handlers. After class driving home I had that deep feeling of satisfaction that comes from a good workout when you are tired and all I could think was how thankful I am that I can do these things still.
    Food was good too which also helps and my weight has dropped back down a little bit again.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Had a response written and it disappeared! I'll try to recreate. It's never quite as clever the second time around. LOL

Thanks @shanaber ! Mom did try some things - like drinking more water and eating more salt. Her BP was still falling to a point that she was getting dizzy and had to sit down. I worried about her since she is living by herself. And, it wasn't positional. She could have been standing at the sink doing dishes for 30 min and all of a sudden it would drop. So weird. Anyway, so far the RX seems to be working. I just hope it doesn't start going too high.

@noblsheep Thanks and sorry that you are having a tough time right now. I know it may not help, but know that we care about you and want the best for you. Maybe you can start small by making yourself eat a piece of toast or something small for breakfast. I don't know. I'm no expert. Hope things start looking up for you!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @shanaber @noblsheep This doc seems too readily focus in on the ADHD. She does work for/at the university and probably sees a lot of it. I never would have thought I was any bit ADHD. I talked to dh more last night, IDK why he decided to actually listen to anything or carve out time for me suddenly. *drop a pin here*. He's helped me identify some things that I've always been able to manage with less social interaction and now that changes with nursing. Adding the fear of failure and being scrutinized takes me back to being 4-8 years old and in trouble and a feeling like I am always in the way and offer nothing. yay... childhood trauma. I don't care for an ADD/ADHD diagnosis. I think I understand enough about "me" and will move to managing the anxiety triggered by the 4-8 year old me who is getting yelled at for existing.

@noblsheep I need some changes too with diet. ugh. I can drink tea all day, not eat til 2-4pm and then, it's everything horrible. I ate 3/4 a package of cookies. American size package. With 10-12 full sized frosting covered sugar cookies at 160 calories per cookie. They are my crack. I am eating emotionally. Hang in there. We care. Make a plan and do your best to stick to it, I'll do the same. I need a light soup recipe if you have one to share, like wonton soup. mmm bet that would be amazing home made.

circling back to the pin...
    I told the university NP that off the antidepressant I was looking at trees, railroads, ditches as a means to end the sadness and that the invasive thoughts are nil back on it. I did put dh down as a contact at the university appointment and wonder if she tattled on me.Then DH got mad because he asked if he should put up his hand gun that resides in the night stand, because he wants to shoot a coyote- the coyote that squared off with beary. well, one I've already said I didn't want any gun in the house, but the testosterone will not hear of it. I told him if I want a gun I'd just go buy it. He got mad, grumbled and pissed about and locked the gun up. I can get to the key... dumb dumb. But I do not have thoughts of actions. I am/was just sad. I asked him several times not to trigger me, but he insisted on telling me a bout an article about surviving the suicide of a child... jeez man, can you just back it up and let me be? I have cried enough this week. and had a really good day yesterday. Alex and I had some great times in my dreams, I was so happy to start the day of with and made some self-care progress. I met with an instructor and got guidance on the do or die assignment that was productive.

on a happi note
    Violin is progressing and I am stoked. I can not wait for the summer and make more improvement. I may take up painting or drawing, I may resume some German and may breakout the cello. The other half of my brain is anxious for some play time.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Hi @noblsheep! Please don't feel like there is no point and no one cares! We all care and you can come here for accountability and/or motivation!
    All I can say is I used to feel that way too and finally had to realize I didn't need to rely on 'anyone' else to care, I needed to care about myself, my life and how I felt. My dh still sees no reason for me to run, workout or eat healthy and doesn't see me as being healthier as a plus. I think he would have preferred me to stay fat and contribute to his let's eat crap mentality. It also made me considerably more self confident (no need to worry about others' opinions of you if you don't care about them so much). As far as eating and working out - I make myself get up and workout and that in turn makes me hungry. Maybe schedule a workout a few days a week?

@quilteryoyo - that is scary that your mom's BP would drop just like that. I would be worried too.
    @swenson19d - I am glad you talked to the NP. I don't think she would have talked any specifics to DH (HIPPA and all that) but she may have mentioned a concern? I get the anxiety coming back too - it is amazing to me how things way in the past can trigger us in the present. It is good though that you recognize it and are working through/past and so happy that your dh is taking the time to talk and listen to you. Maybe the thing with the article is to just recognize his offers, note it and agree to maybe look at it at some point later when you feel more capable to deal with it?
    Glad the violin is progressing again! It is something I cannot even imagine. Are you still playing the cello too? I gave up on Spanish but I think I need to go back and try again. It is hard when you have no one to practice with - don't know how you do it with the German.

Speaking of languages... I read an interesting article about translators in the medical fields and how doctors and nurses often think they know enough to communicate with patients or their families without a translator and have predictably terrible results. It is becoming a bigger problem as our population becomes more diverse with many more languages being spoken. I know my dd always has a translator available either in person or on the phone for her patients. She is fluent in Spanish so that surprised me but she said speaking in medical terms is just so different from everyday conversational Spanish that she wouldn't want to take a chance. Could be an entirely new area of employment.

Have my PT appointment in a little bit. I suspect it may be my last although I still have 2 more scheduled. Yesterday was such a great day. Lots of running and then agility and it all felt great. Hamstring is pinging me a little this morning but nothing like it has been after a typically busy Monday.
  • shanaber
    Options
    WhooHoo! Got released from PT today and she is confident if I keep up the exercises and stretches I should not have any more issues. I will kind of miss seeing her and having her roll out my glutes and priformis also she was really nice and I enjoyed talking to her!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Hang in there @swenson19d . Sounds like you are doing better with the antidepressants. Also sounds like DH is trying to be helpful, in his own way. Good news that the violin is going well.

Whoo Hoo @shanaber ! Glad you are released and can enjoy your running again.

I got called in to work today from 11 - 3. Stopped at mom's on the way home so didn't get home until 4. Went out and mowed the lawn - 1:58:27 minutes total and then walked a mile in 16:19 min to keep my streak going.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Y'all are really great.

@swenson19d
    Do you have frozen wonton lying around? Making them yourself at home is a giant PITA and I only do it when my mother makes me / does most of the work. If you go the frozen route, just pop some soy sauce, vinegar and some nori (crispy seaweed snack thing?) in a bowl, and then add the cooked wonton and some hot water into the bowl. Done.

Miso soup is pretty good, can add noodles of your liking for a nice bowl. Kimchi soup is spicy and I don't know why anyone would think it's light but it keeps popping up on lists. I like kimchi with tofu and/or seafood. If you have any leftover rice lying around, you can make a spinach egg drop broth thing. There are also many things one can do with leftover chicken. Not sure what regularly pops up in your household. Tell me more.

@shanaber That's great news with the PT! Congrats that you can get back to running now.

@quilteryoyo Wait... it takes that long to mow the lawn? (Sorry, never had a lawn, no idea on these things.)
  • quilteryoyo
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @noblsheep It depends on the size of the lawn and the size of the mower. My actual lawn isn't huge, but I also mow all the way up and down my quarter mile driveway and a couple of fairly large spots along the way. I do more some weeks than I do others, depending on how it looks. Right now, I'm skipping part of it because it has become my daisy patch. I'll post pictures of it when they are all in bloom. Plus, I push mow some and the other mower I have is a walk behind self propelled.....which probably means nothing to you if you have never had a lawn. It just means that I walk it all. So it takes longer than it would if I had a riding mower. I also get more exercise, which I don't mind.

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone talking to various people about my cousin today. The VA doesn't have a geriatric psych bed available, so they are going to transfer him to a civilian location tonight. It's about an hour from here. I have to drive up tomorrow to sign the papers to voluntarily commit him. The goal is for them to tweak his meds and evaluate him, therapy, etc in order to get him back to the point where he can return to the assisted living facility. Hopefully, it won't take too long. Don't know if they will let me see him tomorrow or not. We'll see.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey all.

Well family holiday has come to a close. I am now back home with the kids. We have 3 days left and the kids go back to school. I still have another week off work - a holiday from my holiday so to speek.

As I mentioned earlier, I ate all the food while away. And gained back all the weight I'd lost since January. Disappointing yes. But that's life.

Today I've sat down an put in action a plan. It's fairly drastic, I admit, the goal is to fit my uniform comfortably again. So I'm doing 2 weeks of drastic loss. Not extreme I promise and I won't do anything stupid. I just want a kick start. Then I'll go back to normal.

@swenson19 you have been in my thoughts a lot. I'm glad you managed to get to see the Dr and are on meds. One thing with husbands, they want to be fixers. So if you go to them and want them to hear an issue, they will assume you want a fix. One solution is to tell them you just want someone to listen. That realisation made a HUGE difference in my marriage. Failing that, Google "its not about the nail". Amusing an appropriate video lol.

@quilteryoyo glad you are still going strong. I hope you get your cousin sorted. Its awful when people fall through the cracks.

@noblsheep I love a good miso soup. Thinking of you too.

@runs_on_espresso I feel ya.

@bearly63 you hanging in there?

@shanaber you doing well? Yay for being released from PT and I remember that worry of missing them!

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m feeling pretty put upon at the moment. Been sick with diarrhea for three days, had fever first two days, it seems gone now, honestly I feel mostly better except my stomach is still not right, not up to running better but planning to take a walk today. First day couldn’t even function enough to read, really sick. Pretty sure food poisoning since my husband and I both had it.

I thought about Covid testing but a) it seems unlikely we would both get hit with a breakthrough case of gastric Covid with us both vaccinated b) if it was gastric Covid it might not even show up on a nasal swab in someone vaccinated and c) I was too sick to want to get up and drive myself to a testing center, and couldn’t go that long without a bathroom.

Anyway at 3:33 am we heard the transformer blow, which is a thing that happens regularly in the spring. Either a goofy squirrel or just rain penetrating their stupid useless transformer boxes. It’s a ten minute fix if they will just get here and do it. So three trucks full of crew showed up in about an hour, and then LEFT and now the MLGW outage site says they are waiting on a tree trimmer. What the actual blank, there are no tree branches anywhere near anything, I just went out and looked. So now we are on tree trimmer time, and once the tree trimmers have gotten here and done goodness knows what, a second crew will show back up and do the original ten minute fix, by which time a whole week’s groceries which I got delivered YESTERDAY will have to be thrown out. I hate MLGW so much. UGH! I guarantee what happened is they looked at the dark woodsy bit where the lines are and said, “It’s dark and it’s only like eight houses, what can we do to make this someone else’s problem until shift change?”

In the meantime I have been sick and not taken a shower for two days so I grabbed one in the dark with the last of the hot water, since who knows when we will have hot water again, and I don’t dare open the fridge for ice or cold water so I am drinking lukewarm water trying to stay hydrated. Did I mention I’m still sick? Sick people deserve the good ice!

I haven’t been reading while sick, now that I’ve thrown my pity party table for one I will go and catch up. I’m sure other people have problems too!
  • rheddmobile
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Okay, caught back up!

@noblsheep You are one of my favorite people! If someone like me who barely knows you from the Internet feels that way, I know there are many people close to you who care what happens to you! Even if it’s not always obvious.

@shanaber Re: translating medical terms. When my mother was pregnant with me, she lived in Northern Italy. Her first husband was an opera singer and she had lived several years in Europe by that time. She spoke good French, German so well that customs people would mistake her for a German, and Italian just barely, but could make guesses at many words due to familiarity with Latin and Romance languages in general. So when she told her landlady the good news, she apparently used the wrong word for pregnant. Unfortunately I don’t know the words, but her landlady laughed and said, “No, dear, a COW is that, YOU are this word!”

So, to update, after three hours the tree trimmers came, looked, decided nothing needed to be done, and left within five minutes. Now according to the outage page they have been waiting for an available crew for half an hour. It. Takes. One. Guy.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Thanks. Things happened and I think my cousin finally got transferred to the geriatric psych facility last night. I'm going to call in a few minutes and see how he is doing. Glad you have a plan in place for your weight and we will hold you to not doing anything "extreme" or "stupid." Be sure to eat enough to fuel your HM training. You don't want to get injured or run down because you don't have enough food. Glad you enjoyed your holiday!

@rheddmobile I am so sorry you are so sick. Did your DH have it as bad as you? I still say it may be the stomach bug that is going around. This one is particularly horrible and apparently very contagious. The one year old class at day care had a lot of kids get it last week. This week, the teachers in that class have gotten it. They actually closed that classroom today because all 3 teachers are sick and they don't have 3 subs to cover the class. I'm hoping I don't get it. I was in the baby room yesterday, so wasn't around that class at all. I would guess you are probably correct about the electric company folks wanting to make the fix someone else's problem. I sure hope they get it fixed before anything goes bad. If you don't open the fridge, as you said you weren't, it should all be good for a few hours anyway. Hoping and praying that you feel better and the lights are fixed soon!

Just read your update @shanaber ! I just have to shake my head. Still praying it gets fixed soon!

• rheddmobile
    Options
    Well, it took them exactly five hours to get the power back on, and yes, once the guy got here it was a five minute job. Temp in the fridge was 43 which is slightly too high to be safe but it’s probably fine.

What is frosting me now is the tree trimmers came back and are going up the access road clearcutting shrubs and hedges which don’t really need trimmed - IN NESTING SEASON. seriously what is wrong with these people? That is actually illegal in the U.K., I wish we had laws like that here. I locked them out of my yard but there are a lot of birds back there, I know we have owls nesting.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I agree @rheddmobile .This is NOT the time to be trimming and clear cutting! Glad your power is back on though.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Missed logging a few days. Got busy and forgot. I also have been only eating when hungry so I'm not too worried about if I hit calories or not. Guess we will see tomorrow when I do my weigh-in!

I started doing some body-weight leg exercises this week. Still going to PT for the shoulder so no weights or upper body yet.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile hugs what a frustrating situation! The food will be fine. It generally takes several hours at higher temperatures than that to spoil. Just sniff test anything you are worried about and if in doubt, throw it out. Especially after your stomach bug - which definitely sounds more gastro than covid.

@runs_on_espresso glad to see you still around and eating intuitively. Hope tomorrow isn't too bad

@quilteryoyo How's your cousin doing? I'm glad he is being looked after, and the transition wasn't too hard on him.

Weight in day. 69.9. So bad not not the worse given how the last month has been for food. 2 steps forward, one step back? I'm about the same place I was at the end of January so not totally bad.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    My cousin finally got moved the the psychiatric facility last night. I've talked to them a couple of times today. He's doing ok, but still not back to his normal self. The doctor there is changing up some of his medication, so hopefully that will help.

@Avidkeo That's not too bad. At least if you are taking two steps forward and one back, you are still a step ahead of where you were!

@RunsOnEspresso I wish I could only eat when I'm hungry. I think I'd really be skinny. I know that I eat simply because it's time to eat most of the time. Or, that I'm bored or stressed.