Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'm glad your mom is doing some better, but it sure sounds like that is a messed up system they have at the hospital. I'm glad you are able to be there with her and help advocate for her. Praying that she gets better soon and that you are able to get some rest.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@reddmobile Hang in there! Have you looked for some volunteer agencies? My mom's doctor referred her to one and they called me to talk about how they could help. They aren't professionals, just angels :) The one Mom liked was the one who you could call if you needed help with something around the house. She would call them to help her change her bed, IDK what kind of mattress she had but I could barely lift the damn thing! They would take the request and see if there was a volunteer available to swing by. They also had other programs to give caregivers a break.

Yesterday went well, I estimated calories in my head and I think I came out 500 cals under, now if I could just do that everyday. It was a 100 mile round trip to the lawyers to pick up a paper and have it notarized...I think a postage stamp and a week of patience would have been cheaper than the gas LOL I swung by the Goodwill Outlet to see what was going on, there wasn't much and I got there an hour before closing. I am going to have to figure out how to get my clothes cheaper to bring down my cost of goods. We have had 2 days of wind warnings and they go through tomorrow afternoon, so once again I hid in my room once I got back.

Today is not too busy of a day. Cold (60's) and windy again. Rest day but I am going to go for a walk this afternoon to try and get my calories burned for the day up to 2K and going to mental math up to 1500 consumed. I am working on an SOP for each position in my flight, how do they not have one? This will a) help me learn b) help the next clueless person who shows up LOL. I have training at 1pm and everyone else is headed to the park for the BBQ. This probably works out best since I need to pack up my hotel room and be ready to check out tomorrow. Tomorrow is also a 4 mile run and possible COVID shot, I haven't gone down and done that yet. I will be staying up at the ranch for the first time by myself tomorrow...I am a bit apprehensive ... I just feel like it could be creepy. Not dangerous, just weird sleeping 20ft from where mom died. That reminds me I need to call the DA and get an update from the hearing I missed this week.

Here's to a satisfying day and 1 more "thing" checked off the want to do list!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    'Hospitals are hospitals, it is never safe to leave your loved ones in them without someone to advocate.' This is so very true @rheddmobile Makes me worry about those who have no one and those whose families don't know how to advocate and are just accepting of the situation.
    I am glad your mom is doing a bit better. The hospital does sound a mess but makes me wonder if many of them are having similar issues. I wouldn't want to have to be in one for any reason these days.
    From what we have found here there is also no easy solution to home health support. I wonder if @CMorning99 angels are out this way too. We had our long time housekeeper who also worked through an agency as a home health aide come when Hilde was first home then tapered it off. To hire someone the minimum started at $28/hr through the agencies and you know most of that went to the agency. Who can afford that on a regular basis? She paid Ali more than the agency but not that full rate and still couldn't maintain it for weeks or months. It is crazy.

@CMorning99 - Do you get the marine layer or are you too far inland? We have been having it last all morning and even into the afternoon. Makes running awesome when it sticks around. We have the wind warnings too but so far haven't had much. The SOP sounds like a great idea and will probably be helpful for all the individuals working in those positions to document what they do and what they should be doing.
    If you have memories of being at the ranch with your mom I would focus on those good memories and try to push the bad thoughts away so you can get more comfortable there.

Yesterday afternoon dh wanted me to go with him to Downtown Disney. It is a shopping/restaurant area next to Disneyland. He is driving to Portland OR tomorrow to take the antique dressing table up to our friends with the victorian house there and he wanted to get an outfit for their little girl. We didn't get an outfit but had dinner on the patio of a restaurant there - first time at a restaurant in well over a year. It was lovely! We just had burgers, really good burgers with bacon and sharp cheddar cheese, and he had a beer and I decided to try a canned wine that came in the tiny, tiniest can. The wine was not great... Dinner must have had a ton of salt (or just the regular restaurant amount that we aren't used to) because we both were so thirsty last night. Interestingly even with all the carbs consumed dh's blood sugar was down this morning (126) - it must be all the walking we did and hopefully will help him see it as a good thing to do more regularly.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile They can straight catch her for the sample. But in her altered state I’m sure she won’t tolerate it. You know that urine sample is also required for reimbursement to prove she came in with it. If you/anyone develops an uti in the hospital, insurance won’t pay it because it was preventable. I’m sure they will get it so reimbursement can be made. I hope she is lucky enough to be one of the 7/8. It’s good to hear she isn’t at a backwards facility despite the glitches. In nursing school we are taught to be our patients advocate. Sound like that goes by the wayside on the job. It’d be in the best interest of everyone to make this a dedicated profession if it isn’t already.
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I’ve eaten better. Tried to be more active but pain and tiredness just get me. I’m down from 130 to 129 in a week. Not much, perhaps nothing more than a shift in the right direction. I may have to give in and start logging food again. I’ll be back in my clothes about 124 and will be stoked to get back to 120 where I can wear most everything comfortably.

Shoes.
    I am trying to get off the couch and go drop them in the mail today. Paperwork says the turn around is 5-7 business days. Not bad. I thought today, what if I alter these and have the hip sx, I’ll need them readjusted assuming the LLD can be “fixed”. I’m thinking about getting the shot. With that and the shoes it might be enough to help. I’m sending off 3 pair, one is my cycling shoe in hopes that I’ll cycle again. Be close to 300 USD. Yuck.

Beary
    A crow cam to eat the bird seed today. He went nuts making that cat “barking” noise. Lol! I love the crows and try to feet them leftovers and old fruit and veg. I know they pick on the little birds and all. They are just amazing to me. I want to pet them.

Amazon
    Dh said “we” need to take a break spending money. I haven’t bought anything from the joint account in a week, go me! Lol! I did buy flip flops that have the altered height and a textbook for the summer. Just necessities, cuz it my account I’m spending from :wink:

Suppose I should drop off the shoes and get my new glasses adjusted. I also need an oil change and to update the title to my car, take the lien off. But meh, those can be done later eh? I don’t have that much energy today.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

@shanaber We are pretty close to the beach now, maybe 5-8 miles. The base is huge and we have 47 miles of coastline. So we do get the marine layer. I think b/c of the wind (even though it is coming out of the west, it has blown a lot of it away...but on non-windy days it is foggy in the morning. I am still getting used to how cold it is, it was 45 this AM and it is almost memorial day!

Not too much going on here. I missed my goal of 2K calories burned (per apple watch) by 100 calories. Food came in good I think, I had a combo plate from a food truck for lunch so who knows if I guessed right. I wasn't too lazy in the afternoon, we had 31mph winds again in the afternoon. I did laundry while I still had a free washer/dryer and packed and loaded some bags in the car. I enjoyed my last shower with a large hot water heater and deep conditioned my hair. As of today, my house has 4 wheels LOL

This morning I went for a 4 mile run and the wind was already picking up and it was COLD! Just as I started my run, 4 coyotes crossed the road in front of me. They minded their own business but weren't too concerned I was there. They like to hang out in base housing and get all the pets people leave unattended...that doesn't deter folks though from doing it, some humans should not have pets. By the time I finished my run, I was frozen but it was a pretty easy run and held the pace pretty easily. I had a moment of weakness on my way in and stopped to get coffee at BK, but ended up with a whole meal :neutral: The hash-browns were good, but the sandwich was not worth the 420 calories. I had already hit 1K calories by 11am! And then my boss came out and said he was ordering pizza...doh.

Trying to get my head in the game, hard since I start vacation this weekend. DH and I talked last night and he said to have faith I will figure it out, this isn't the first time I have been in this position. Maybe it just feels worse since I actually spent 7 years doing a similar jobs and I just need to knock of some rust on adapting. He is right, and he had to add he was "telling me what I needed to hear and wasn't going to let me have a pity party" ...pshhhhh

As I was being lazy last night, I came across Jason Fung's youtube videos. He is an intermittent fasting expert and I bought his book a while a go. I really like his approach and it is all science backed. Made me start thinking how I could do it. When I got down to really low BF back in 2015-16 time frame, I was doing IF and skipping dinner. I think the book is at mom's I might grab it and throw it in the trailer for my trip.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

My mom’s surgery to remove her kidney stone went well, as far as I can tell from reading the surgical notes. The nurse offered to let me talk to her and I could hear her say, “I don’t want to talk to anyone!” which I don’t doubt right after having anesthesia. I told the nurse to tell her I loved her and would call in the morning. It’s almost impossible to stay in touch at a distance but they have a mychart thing which lets you read the exact notes left by every pro for each other. It was spooky following the surgery in real time: Nurse sent wedding ring to security. Anesthesiologist event. Brief note during surgery. And so on. I have my mom’s power of attorney, and I told my mom I was setting it up, but think I will just not mention to her that I can see things like the PT saying compliance was “fair” and “patient declined to ambulate further.” (Yeah, I’m guessing patient was more like ‘recalcitrant!’) She is not computer literate enough to figure out how to get any use out of it herself, and feels uncomfortable about other people knowing her business.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad her surgery went well and that you were able to set up mychart. I have that for myself, but don't get that much detail. Now you can see what they tell her and know if she is following directions or not. Hope she gets well and out of the hospital soon.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile glad surgery went well.

Fun, though probably disturbing fact, doctors have had to change the way they write notes now. There used to be a lot of acronyms and "inside jokes" doctors would write about patients that frankly could get downright offensive (though generally accurate). They have to be so careful now about how they word things since it's expected that patients will read them.

I think its a good thing, though I definitely understand some of the more colourful descriptions.

In healthcare we are taught to think of the person etc, and we absolutely want what's best for our patients, but we also have to dehumanise patients to an extent as well because we have to actually get through each day. If we didn't have that seperation then our mental health would suffer so much more than it does. It's an awful catch 22.

Wow that was a monologue lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hi. Yeah I'm still here. I've kinda disconnected from MFP a bit this week. Be en focused on my kids and marriage. It's been a very hard marriage week that had me googling divorce. We had a Frank and serious conversation on Friday night that I think maybe helped. There were tears and anger on both sides. Sigh. I hate confronting things but it had to happen. Sorry to be so vague but it's difficult to talk about (weird for me who is usually pretty open with stuff). We kinda seem to be going through this every couple of years, and it's getting exhausting.

So food has actually been OK since Tuesday. I've stopped weighing myself everyday. I think i was fueling an obsession? I've kinda just decided to not worry about weightloss this year. I'm finding it too hard with all the HM training I'm doing, and the cycling up and down is doing my head in. So for now I'm trying to just eat well, fuel my long runs. Next year I think I'll change my running to regular shorter distances. Might try for a run streak after my last HM and just do more shorter distances instead.

That said in 2 weeks I suspect I'll totally be back down the weightloss rabbit hole. So can't seem to stick to anything more than a couple of weeks atm!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Sorry about your family issues, but glad that you were able to have a frank conversation with DH. Hope it helped and things get better. It sounds like you have a good plan for your food goals. It's so hard to try to lose when you know you need the fuel for running.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I had my CPR and First Aid training this morning. I'm always glad for the refresher, as I'm scared I have forgotten something important. I close my eyes during the videos of impalements and amputations. Once the act is done, I can watch what to do to take care of it. I just can't watch the person actually getting hurt, even though I know it is fake. LOL

Came home and got mom and we took flowers over for my dad's grave for decoration. It's sad since it's the first time we've had to do that.

When we got home, my brother was mowing mom's lawn - using his zero turn which takes him about 15 minutes. Mom and I had decided to wait until next week, but we didn't tell him and he didn't check with mom first. So, instead of doing what I had planned this afternoon, I went down and helped mom do the trim work on the yard - she push mowed and I weed eat. It really irritated me that I had to do that today, and I'm not really sure why. I guess I should be happy that he actually took the initiative to do his small part. Now that it's done, I won't have to worry about it again until next weekend.

I was tried when I got home, so instead of running, took a fast mile walk with Tippy into the neighbor's field. Tomorrow is another extra busy day, so there will be no long run this weekend. I'm hoping maybe I can do one on Monday instead. We shall see if life throws me a curveball or not.

I did buy myself some hotdogs on Thursday, so got to finally have the hot dog I've been craving. I know I've had way too much salt today, but my weight was down a couple of pounds this morning, so I'm not worrying about it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - I am so happy your mom's surgery went well and she is recovering! Our healthcare organization is also moving to MyChart. It is the EPIC system under the covers and depending on how it is set up it can be very good for the providers or terrible and they hate it. They don't have a lot of leeway for the fields they fill in, they have choices and minimal 'free space notes'. Dh was part of the IT team that supported the systems for EPIC at Kaiser Permanente here in SoCal and learned so much about it. My dd heard that a requirement is coming that will require all patient records (all test results, scans, x-rays, doctor's notes, diagnosis, plans, etc) to be available to the patient online so there is a big move to upgrade the record systems to allow for that.

@avidkeo - hang in there! The most important thing is to communicate, communicate, communicate and often clearing the air is a big help. As we have been married a looooong time now little things don't seem to create big issues or fights any more but we do seem to have been having more flare ups lately. Not fights but just one of us getting put out about something the other said or how they said it. May be more a result of just being home together so much the last 18 months.

@quilteryoyo - you just amaze me with how active you are. Seems like you are always doing multiple (very active) things. Glad you got your hot dog fix!

Dh is gone as I mentioned for a few days and it feels so weird. Hobbes keeps looking for him too. I got out today for another run but ended up doing a power walk. It is interesting that walking can actually make my hamstring feel worse depending on how I step. Heel strike hurts, mid foot or fore foot strike is not nearly as bad. The little bit of running I did, especially on the last mile home actually felt good, certainly better than walking. I was reading online (Dr. Google) again and found a good description of the type of tendonitis I have (insertion point) and they said it can take 6 months or more for it to feel better and it often becomes chronic to where the pain just never completely goes away. Rest and strength training, especially eccentric exercises (what I have from PT) are what help the most. Guess I will keep doing them, regularly! regardless of if it feels better and I think I don't need to do them so much.

Food has been ok. I haven't been very hungry and without dh here I am under no pressure to cook much. Last night I had a chicken quesadilla for dinner. Could have made myself a salad but wasn't motivated to get it done. Tonight I had leftover chicken and veggie kababs. The restaurant we go to you get 2 chicken and one veggie so I always order an extra veggie so I can have 2 dinners. The problem I am having is that I don't eat either lunch or breakfast depending on when I run. I can usually find things for breakfast but lunch after I run is just blech, nothing sounds good. My weight is still down, hasn't dropped any further but is down 5-6lbs from earlier this year and I am happy it has dropped even that much. Another 5-10 would be awesome but I am not going to lose sleep over it.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I am a pretty active person. If I wasn't, I'd hate to see where my weight would be! As suspected, I was up 1.4 pounds today from all the sodium I consumed yesterday. I'm going to a 3 year old's birthday party for lunch today. It's our neighbor's that had the puppies. Anyway, they are vegan and are having a cook out with burgers and I'm not sure what else. I don't know that I have ever had Vegan burgers. They did make vegan "ice cream" for one party that was good. It was basically frozen pureed fruit, but was really good. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing how I like it all.

I hope your hamstring doesn't take 6 months to get better! I used to have a knee that hurt during my warm up walk, but as soon as I started to run, it would quit hurting. So weird.

Since you don't "want lunch" after a run, but can manage breakfast, maybe have a breakfast food for lunch? Sometimes I have peanut butter on toast, which seems to hit the spot.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hello Runners! It's been way too long. I lost 20 days some how. Such a busy month. I had 10 Peloton friends that I had never met until last weekend, come to Austin for a meetup. Several had decided to try their first Spartan Race ( a national group that puts on obstacle course races around the county). So we all came together for 3 days....what a fun time. Who would have thought that a group of random people who met in a Facebook group related to Peloton and started doing rides together and then chatting daily, would actually meet a year later and like each other? The wonders of social media. And would never have happened without my injury, forcing a Peloton, and a pandemic! most of them were in their 40s and 50s and some of my besties, 30s. So that is also pretty cool....have women friends that span decades yet we all relate so well. It was just so interesting.

I also decided since then, which I may regret, that before I turn 60 (just turned 58 last Monday) that I need some new goals and challenges. So I signed up with a bunch of them to do a Spartan Race in Nashville in early October. I will attempt to train by continuing running, cycling and strength but also need to learn rope climbing, pullups for the monkey bars, climbing over walls, etc. I found an obstacle course fitness place here and might try to get some lessons on the tricks to all of this. My hip is hurting a bit again but I will just have to work through it....don't think its ever going away.

I read the last few pages here. A very small catch up I am sure:

@rheddmobile sorry to hear about the trials with your mom. That was my mom. What struck me as I read through this....We finally found a total link between raging UTIs and brain fog/abnormal behavior. My mom started getting bad UTIs and you lose the ability to feel them at some point so they get bad. Once the toxins are in their blood, they become disoriented and act so oddly. We got to the point that we knew when she had one....and were always right. So weird. And she did fall a few times and just stayed on the floor and waited till we could get EMTs over. It's such a hard time. And they do not want help. Hugs....hang in there.

@shanaber I can totally relate to the food thing. I can't eat a lot before a cardio workout. I am trying to have oatmeal when I first wake up and wait an hour then workout. Then It's like 11 or so and nothing sounds good. I often just have a very high protein smoothie and eat something more lunch like at 3. Then dinner at 7:30. I got to avoid getting famished as that is when I find the junk. Also, tendonitis sounds awful....6 months. Yikes. Also glad that your husband is out and about. Starting to feel normal again.

@quilteryoyo You are so active - real world workouts! Your mom is so lucky to have you. I crave hotdogs at a baseball game. It's been a long time.

@Avidkeo I think these flare ups are pretty normal in a marriage. Stresses of work, parenting, life in general and a pandemic is just icing on the cake. But being able to talk or yell it out, cry and be honest will pay off. My marriage has become more stable since the kids are almost out (Julia leaves in July for med school). We are just more chill right now so like shanaber, more rolls off of us than used too. We each seem to have our things.

@CMorning99 Wow....4 coyotes? Interesting that they were so calm. The ones around my house are very well fed. We hear them often and it sounds like a bunch but I hear its usually 3-4 that make themselves sound like a huge pack. It's always so eerie late at night. Those runs will be so nice when its a bit warmer. I miss the ocean.

@swenson19d Sounds like your hanging in there. Are you getting shoes altered for leg length differences? I am going to a new PT next week and will have them look at that....I know I am off somehow somewhere. Plus the hip. My shot helped a bunch but it already seems to be wearing off.....

Food: still tracking macros. I was down to my lowest in years after my eat and drink everythig weekend last weekend but my Macro lady told me that its like wringing out a wet sponge....dehydration and less workouts you lost water in your muscles and it will come back once back on track. After 2 nights of social outings with lots of party food and drinks, I was up 6 lbs this morning.....in a week. It's all just one chemical reaction.

Exercise: Just sticking to my strength calendar, with 30-45 min cardios 4 times a week, a longer ride 1 day a week and 2 days of yoga or stretching....I plan to remeasure my body fat/lean muscle in June and see if anything has changed. I am really enjoying the strength stuff. Muscle just looks healthier IMHO.

Claire
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @bearly63 That meet up with your Peloton friends sounds like so much fun! Glad things worked out for that. You are such a determined person, I'm sure you'll do fine in the Spartan race. I have such poor upper body strength, I don't think I would fair well. LOL Those are some huge weight swings. I thought my one or 2 pounds was a lot.

The birthday party was fun and the food was good. I wouldn't want to only have a vegan burger and never meat, but every once in a while it was okay. They made it themselves with lots of different seeds and grains and beets. Something I ate didn't set well with my tummy, but it feels better now.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @bearly63 HEY! so good to see you again. I have had PT's and docs look for leg length discrepancy (LLD), and never identified it. I asked Dr. Google as to why I had a hip hike and it "thinks" only 3 reasons; scoliosis, LLD and something else I dismissed so quickly that I can not recall what it was. I don't have scoliosis although have some spinal changes, flattening of thoracic curvature. So that left the LLD and I specifically asked the surgeon about it. Just a quick measurement on the x-ray he finds 3/8 in, I'd have to have a CT to measure it properly. I measured from the top of my hip to the inside ankle on both legs and find 1/2 in difference. Beats the inconvenience and expense of a CT just to alter my shoes. The surgeon suggested adding cheap insoles to adjust for the difference but I found that made my shoe too small. He was against the heel lift inserts as the whole foot needs elevated not just the heel, which would cause other problems.

@RunsOnEspresso Oh you and I both need to get with it. I did good for about a week then DH sabotaged me with ice cream and pizza, both made of crack.

I wanted to go walk this week...
    but is has rained daily. Which is great for my trees and my shoes aren't here yet anyway. I've been walking around the house in one flip flop, and walking the road occasionally in 2 different shoes with different drops. I notice some new muscle pain which I expect is good. My right leg is weak, Dr M. wanted the neuro to check it out, but we haven't gotten that far. I do feel a bit stronger and suspect a bit of added ROM with the alterations in shoes. I still have the jerks but less so than last October. Neuro next week where I will specifically ask about the possibility of MS and what she believes it could be. I talked to person with MS and his (Brain MRI) was clear but evidence was found in his spine. I just wanna know how to manage the tiredness, back pain and Charley horse spasms. The jerks aren't a big deal. I can't seem to hold anything without dropping it either.

Class... (psych of personalities)
    starts next week. I am so happy. The prof opened it up a week early and I have a purpose starting today. The class is a lot of writing, not my strong suit, but I like that it is structured in a way to help one digest the material and I'll enjoy the thinking exercises. The final paper is on a character of your choice. I am thinking the Russian Dolls main character. Perfect to have something to do so I don't cry/sleep/frump all day.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile well. I hope the assisted living thing, if required is an easy transition. My violin instructor would put adds in the paper for help. It usually attracted unsavory types. Idk if there is a way to reach RN/ LPN nursing students in your area, they seemed to be the best with care and we’re reliable. I saw an add for a pill dispenser but it doesn’t sound like she could manage alone, perhaps if home health was available?

Congrats on the weight? We are praying for you. Dh mentioned a trip to TN. I said no way you have time to say “hi”. He’s looking for any excuse for a road trip/ cruise/ flight. He offered to buy me an antique roll top desk for 1000$ if I agreed to go somewhere. Meh. Nah.. lol.

I can send you a care pack. Maybe a massage gift certificate, spa day or something? Idk. If there is anything I can do to “help” let me know. I enjoy having a purpose.