Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Saturday here. I'm about to go volunteer for Parkrun, then get a short 45 min run in. And I'm baking today.

I'm part of a charity that bakes every week for various other organisations around town. We bake for Taranaki Retreat - a place for people with cancer and other illnesses to go for some respite and wellbeing, woman's Refuge - a woman's shelter, the neonatal unit at the hospital. I try and bake every 2 weeks but fit it around my roster as its hard to bake when I'm working. It's something small I can do and I LOVE to bake. Let's me try and practice recipes.

Then it's an weekend hanging out with my kids!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I don't run any additional security software. We do keep our network/router/etc. very secure any way and the MAC has great antivirus built in and Safari also provides reports.
    Screenshot - the entire screen use Shift-Command 3 and to select a portion of the screen use Shift-Commad 4. They go to your desktop and you can find them there with Finder. Also if you open them with Preview you can send them to Photos or send in an email or message. One of the hardest things for me to figure out was where all my files and document went because I was so used to Windows file structure, but now I have no issue with it. I set up folders either directly under Documents or on the Desktop itself depending on how I use it. You can also customize what is shown on your dock and the order the items are in.
    I was more comfortable with the MS products especially Excel and OneNote but with improvements in Numbers it is very similar and I can now open most Excel spreadsheets with Number now so I could likely do without. I won't pay for a subscription for MS so if mine stops working at some point I will switch over. I just don't know of any Apps equivalent to OneNote though and I have so much saved there, recipes, books I have read or want to read, running articles and race info, the list goes on and on...
    Hit me up if you have questions and I will help as I can.
    Ashes - I can't imagine asking for ashes either - what's up with that. I understand if it is a close family member but other than that???
    I am so happy the shoes are helping! Yay!!
    @CMorning99 - Just my 2cents - I think it is really hard on your body to workout and not eat before or after. Your body needs to refill the glycogen stores and repair the muscles.
    With the water, if you do try to do the easement the devil is in the details and be sure to have your lawyer review it. I would worry about it going dry, especially these days with the drought being so bad, and then I guess you have to pay for state water anyway.
    @rheddmobile - I hope you and dh are doing ok. I am keeping you both in my thoughts.

I had a busy day yesterday. Dh informed me that the bug (fumigation) people were coming back to treat the garage and attic with something that will help to keep the bugs from returning. It meant we had to move everything down and away from the walls in the garage. We have built high, heavy duty shelves for storing Christmas stuff, old books, dd's childhood things, etc., etc.. He found an especially heavy trunk to move, got it half way down then needed me to help. I must not have been in place and ended up putting way too much load on my right arm. It hurt SO bad but I didn't drop the box, although I probably should have. It hurt most of the afternoon and evening and I thought I probably strained it. Got up this morning to find a huge dark purple bruise at the base of my bicep. I sent a picture to dd and she says she thinks I may have torn or ruptured one of the tendons and I should see the doctor asap in case surgery is required... ugh! After sitting on hold trying to make an appointment for 30mins the earliest I can get in to see my doctor is the end of the month. I did get an appointment for a video call with the nurse practitioner on Monday morning so hopefully she can refer me to ortho next week. I tried to go for a run and my arm hurt with each swing, so no run. I may try for a walk later or tomorrow, keeping my arm still.
    I did eat yesterday. A lot! I went over calories for the first time in a very long time and I figured it would help fuel my run, oh well.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great weekend @avidkeo! So what are you baking this time? I would love to find something like that to do here. I have also thought about maybe joining one of the groups that help kids start to run, although I guess I probably need to be able to run to do that.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber. Google answered the screenshot question, I’ve just been saving everything to iCloud or One drive (Microsoft) to find it. I had no idea what the preview was for. I don’t like anything on my desktop. Which makes it a little harder with a new system.

Ashes
    Y’all know crazy aka Candice “candy” Saucedo wanted Alex’s ashes. I got a request from her ex-husbands wife who was the twins friend since kindergarten. Dd blasted her on FB, I told her to do what she needed. You got the audacity then you probably need corrected on manners and socially accepted behaviours.

Dinner
    Idk. Beary wants shrimp. No idea how that’d happen landlocked. Goofball. Sure Dh would drive to the coast just to get him some! Lol!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Sounds like a great weekend @avidkeo! So what are you baking this time? I would love to find something like that to do here. I have also thought about maybe joining one of the groups that help kids start to run, although I guess I probably need to be able to run to do that.

I'm doing a slice called coconut rough. Not sure if you have it there. I'll post pics when done
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Skimmed everything I missed on vacation.

Scams: the whole basis is built on urgency to not give you time to think. Hence why most are aimed at older folks, like the call that your grandkid is in jail in another country and needs bail now! They don't want the person to call or actually look into it. Or the you'll be arrested if you don't send us the money now! Well, that makes people poop their pants and not think, wait, I haven't done anything.

Property: I get texts and phone calls almost daily asking to sell my house for cash. It's been happening since I bought but it always gets more when houses are in demand. I'm often tempted to be like, yes for a million cash you can have my house worth around 250k just to see what they will say. Block and delete, move on. I'm sure it's some kind of scam.

Healthcare: Women, especially Black women, are often not believed. And as women, we usually wait longer to go in because well, we are used to pain and don't think we will be believed. For me, when I had appendicitis the ER doc was convinced I was pregnant. A friend kept being told she had gas and/or cramps when she had appendicitis. On average it takes women 10 years to be diagnosed with celiac disease. I was told in high school it was IBS/lactose issues. Later, the doctor didn't believe me when I described my symptoms which lead me to not want to talk to a doctor about it for a while. I just said ok, must be my IBS and there's nothing to be done.

I think I hit the major topics LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    How is everyone?

Re: bias in healthcare. I absolutely believe its real. And as a healthcare worker I think it's heartbreaking. I try treat all my patients equally though admit there are times when I could do better.

One thing I'm always reminding myself is when a pt is in pain, the pain is real. It doesn't matter if I think they are being silly, or overreacting or seeking. They are still in pain. And the pain needs to be treated. That said I think that mental health is so poorly underdiagnosed not treated well enough.

Anyway it's Sunday here. I'm relaxing with the kids. Hubby is taking oldest DD to a basketball match this avo so youngest and I are going to chill at home. She's currently half way through A New Hope, and is keen to see the end so we may have a star wars afternoon
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m getting a free day at my own house since it’s what I asked for for my birthday (which is tomorrow). The mares aren’t getting fed but they won’t die in one day. It is irksome how much heaven and earth I have to move to get someone to cover me for just one day. And I am still going to spend most of today catching up on stuff I haven’t been able to do because of caretaking for my mom, like laundry and prepping her meals. She has been thinking though and is starting to come around and realize this isn’t working, and we are planning to have a conversation about it. Just not right before my birthday please.

One bright spot is that she has a working fridge now. I am so annoyed at Home Depot and their so-called delivery company. First of all, the delivery company had damaged the outside of the fridge and refused to deliver it since they would be on the hook if it didn’t work. Since it took a MONTH to get a fridge in the first place and would be another whole month of starting over from zero, we weren’t really willing for them to load it back on the truck and leave with it. Then they said they would leave it as-is but it would void the warranty, and we said no, that isn’t happening. We ended up talking to corporate, and they are giving us a refund for damages and we keep the warranty.

Second, we only went with Home Depot over their competitors because they were the only company that said it would remove the old refrigerator way out in the country. So the installers show up and refuse to take the old fridge, saying they have more new fridges on the truck to deliver still and aren’t allowed by corporate to mix the two since there might be vermin inside the old fridge! Makes sense but NOT MY PROBLEM, you signed a contract to take away my fridge and if you showed up unable to do that, tough. I know from my mother that this has happened before so we went around and around with them, talked to their corporate who said it wasn’t the company’s policy after all, it was the individual mover and it was up to us to talk him into doing his job. They ended up leaving the old fridge in the middle of our driveway. It’s annoying because they “refunded our money” for the removal fee - to the tune of 25 dollars, while the quotes we were getting to have it removed were about 350, since it’s a matter of coming from Collierville and then hauling it all the way out to the dump at Somerville which is like two hours away. Since their so-called courtesy service was the ONLY reason we chose them over their competitors it’s a good scam for them! It’s very inexpensive to promise to do something you have no intention of doing!

But it worked out in the end. I posted online and a guy who lives down the road wanted it for the parts and hauled it off for free the next day. So there, Home Depot!

After all this, they texted us with a survey asking how we liked their delivery service. Uh... yeah. Don’t ask if you don’t want to know.

So, at least I won’t be camped out in the middle of the living room trying to feed three or sometimes four people three healthy meals a day out of a dorm room fridge anymore. Next up is sanitizing at least part of the kitchen so I can at least use one counter and one cabinet.

My plan for my birthday is to get up before dawn and try to run 5.3 miles before heading out there.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @rheddmobile dang. I hope your birthday day is exactly what you need!

@Avidkeo MMMMM cake!

nothing new here, 'cept Cori is a demon cat.
    He insists on being out back with the dogs. Poor Bear just follows me around all day from room to room wanting attention, or to be near another living soul. He loves Cori, but Cori is his own man and has picked up a bad habit from Bean; whining when he doesn't get what he wants, out, attention, food, Bear want to play and he is a big cry baby about it... Yesterday he came in from the back with the dogs and wanted back out after eating and i said no. He will go to the back of the property where it is heavily wooded and tall grass with a pond (neighbors side). Snakes are prevalent, dh and I saw a copperhead squished on the road a house down. Cori got spooked by a nail bar on the back porch because it resembled a snake. I said "buddy, you need to be in". He wasn't having it at all. yowled and yowled and I ignored him. He got mad and walked over and shoved a glass ceramic vase over and broke it. hence, now he is the demon cat. I gladly opened the door with my foot at his rear and shoved him out. He's just at that age. bear went through this defiant adolescent stage too where if he didn't get his way or attention he'd shove stuff off the tables. I have a rebellious teenage demon cat. LOL! We still love him. He growled at dh yesterday when he was just loving him... oh too big for that too? I wonder if i can write my psychoanalysis paper on Cori? He's still the loveyist thing ever when it suits him.

Food
    All the tamales! DD made breakfast, bacon eggs and hash browns. Weight is shifting downward. YAY!

Exercise
    Pain is evolving or devolving. I still have less pain (back and legs dont ache as much). Hip is still so cranky. Ive been doing bridges and it seems to help with the strength. Dh said I should follow through with the baylor PT... ugh.. well okay i guess ill trek 90 minutes away for PT once a week then.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @swenson19 yay for pain being better. I think PT is definitely worth is...

I remember I promised pics of baking.
    3lejbj0t00p6.jpg

This one is made with condensed milk, I'm not 100% happy with it. I prefer a firmer topping and this one is a bit gooey, and can really taste the milk. I'll do it again cause its so easy but maybe try a different recipe.

Working shift today so will go out for a run soon, then playing squash (racketball?) with DH. It's the first game in probably a year because of injury, first mine, then his. So this will be interesting
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @swenson19 further to your shenanigans with Bear and Cori, I'm sitting relaxing before work, doing some cross stitch. Leo is unimpressed. He keeps grabbing my work and pulling it down to look at me. Basically, oi you are supposed to pay me attention. Put your cross stitch down!
    lk8858umwi1t.jpg
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Happy monday!

Oof what a weekend! The construction dumpster arrived Friday and it was HUGE! My heart sank a bit. I promptly ignored it and did some goodwill therapy and found some good stuff...I am going to have quite the pile of stuff to inventory when I turn back on my reselling.

Saturday I woke up determined to do my running! it was 5 miles with 8x200ms. After lounging around I finally went out around 10am and did it. Perk of living on the coast, it is a heat wave when it is 80 degrees. I dragged my feet for awhile longer and finally went up to the ranch with the promise of Thai food on the way back. I cleaned up around the area I am going to clean, all the big lumber, tarps (quite dead), and old tools that Mom was sure she could "fix" but had then gone out and bought 3 more. I got in a fight with a t-post and lost and have quite the lump and cut on my arm. I ran into my Mom's dearest friend who works at the local hardware store and she offered to come up sunday to help...she is an angel. Oh, and it looks like I got all the titles from the DMV! That was quicker than I thought. Cals burned 2,600 per apple watch.

Sunday I owned 7 mile run and had to get up and do it before my angel arrived. I managed 6.1 miles due to technology issues, the cell service on this base is terrible. I was happy to stop, but I wasn't dying. Got to the ranch by 11am and sprayed 4 gallons of weed control...that was like 1/4 of the driveway only (oof). We finally got to work in the single wide mobile home mom had bought 30 years ago to rent but it turned into storage. Thankfully we had cleaned it out/organized it maybe 15 years ago and Mom did it again maybe 10 years ago. So other than the ceiling falling down, it wasn't a disaster...a lot of stuff but easily accessible and toss able. I am pretty sure I threw away a small hardware store of screws, bolts, rusty seized tools, half used containers of who knows what...but I don't have time to sort it or wait for someone else to sort and decide if they want it. We powered for 4 hours and called it. Calories burned 2,800

Today is a rest day...at work LOL. My body has not hurt this bad in so long. I have a pulse in my feet, my quads are thrashed, and my arms are noodles. I came in normal time and plan on taking my fitness time in the afternoon and do horizontal yoga :smile: Tomorrow is a 4 mile run, I don't like the plan my coach did ... I think she is done with me. I think after this race, we are going to part ways.

I have a long list of paperwork stuff I am going to do since I am sitting all day!

• swenson19d
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @Avidkeo Aww he's adorable. Wow, I have no idea how you do that! Mine would be all knots and frayed thread!

I am trying to get our neighborhood together and organized a Fb page. I spent hours searching public records to stalk them out on FB and have one grand response. Least she seems friendly and relatively normal, we traded numbers and plan a greet and meet.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Had the busiest night last night at work. So tired. Its 1030am and I'm still in bed - work again at 3pm. Was going to play squash with DH but I have no energy.

Foods, food.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @CMorning99 oof what a weekend. Yay for a paperwork day then and yay for helpers

@swenson19 that's a good thing to do! Sounds like a lot of work though.
  • swenson19d
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Today was so unproductively busy
    Dh bought a swamp cooler for the back porch, for the dogs, it's already near 100F, and an AC window unit for the shed, for my noodle cat. I spent the day getting that all going after finding out my car was leaking oil and had to call for a tow so the shop could remedy it after Thursdays oil change where on Tuesday they had to order a new drain plug because mine was stripped... Sit finally and remember Bear is outside and try to find him again, he'd been playing "catch me if you can" in the bushes and I walked away leaving him to get snake bit again. Run to the vet close to closing time, emergency fee, medication and now dh is snake hunting with his legal "sawed' off shot gun thing... boys will be boys. I think he is just randomly shooting in the bushes...Disaster anyone?
    Bears paw. Of course I'd been minding Cori today because he'd been acting hurt and thought he probably got in a scrap with a feral cat, poor bear bug.
    ke4oh4x6y5v4.jpeg
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Dh bought a swamp cooler for the back porch, for the dogs, it's already near 100F, and an AC window unit for the shed, for my noodle cat. I spent the day getting that all going after finding out my car was leaking oil and had to call for a tow so the shop could remedy it after Thursdays oil change where on Tuesday they had to order a new drain plug because mine was stripped... Sit finally and remember Bear is outside and try to find him again, he'd been playing "catch me if you can" in the bushes and I walked away leaving him to get snake bit again. Run to the vet close to closing time, emergency fee, medication and now dh is snake hunting with his legal "sawed' off shot gun thing... boys will be boys. I think he is just randomly shooting in the bushes...Disaster anyone?
    Bears paw. Of course I'd been minding Cori today because he'd been acting hurt and thought he probably got in a scrap with a feral cat, poor bear bug.
    ke4oh4x6y5v4.jpeg

Oh poor kitty! So glad we don't have snakes in NZ
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    ke4oh4x6y5v4.jpeg

No snakes? Want me to bring you a bundle of them?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    ke4oh4x6y5v4.jpeg

Bahaha I'm ah I'm fine thanks! Unless they are candy. We have snake candy here they are yummy
  • swenson19d
    Options
    ke4oh4x6y5v4.jpeg

Bahaha I'm ah I'm fine thanks! Unless they are candy. We have snake candy here they are yummy

I thought about buying him some little toy snakes, the kind little kids love. But thought would prob encourage him. He's playing this morning, not 100% but paw swelling is better. They all want outside to chase birds, It's gonna be a long day making these boys stay in.