Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    So my mom needs to go clear out her lockbox because they are closing the branch. The key “has always been loose in the center compartment of my wallet in my purse” and of course is not to be found. I am just asking whhhyyyyyy why did it seem like a safe place to put a lockbox key in an open wallet that gets flipped upside down all the time in a giant messy handbag?????
    whhhyyyyyyy

Anyway now I get to find out what happens when you lose the key to your lockbox I guess…
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2021
    @rheddmobile May you be blessed with helpful banking personnel 🙏

ETA
    Trade you drama for the day.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @rheddmobile Glad there is nothing major wrong, but wish they could figure out why you are in so much pain and have the twitches. Am glad to see those are easing off some. But, it has to be hard. Father's Day was ok-ish. Thanks for asking. Mom and I went to my church instead of hers, because mine will mention Father's Day, but normally don't make the entire service about it, which they didn't. Thankfully. I did go in the afternoon to visit his grave. It's the first time I have gone alone and just sat and talked to him about stuff and cried for like 30 minutes. That's what I needed. The rest of the day was fine.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @swenson19 watching the package. Its probably held up with customs. There is a 4 day backlog there atm apparently.

Glad beary is being big daddy! Yes get your passports - though lord knows when our boarders will open. Probably be Christmas 2022 at this rate.

@rheddmobile I am on ancestry. I really hope some of my half brothers/sisters pop up but so far nothing. My dad has several kids after leaving us when I was 4. I don't know them or even if they know I exist. So every time I get that notification I hope, but it's usually 2nd or 3rd cousins. Maybe when I'm 60? It's weird being in the place that I'm likely to surprise someone "hey im your big sister". Sometimes it's weird to think I have several siblings I don't know. Can't dwell. It makes me sad.

I'm really in a funk atm. Eating everything in sight and just feeling so down. I just can't be bothered with anything. So I'm going to go get a journal today and try that. I kinda feel like im spinning in place. Probably cause I'm eating nothing but rubbish.

• swenson19d
    Hang in there @Avidkeo . I wonder if there are changes with hormones that cause you to feel low and eat? Or could you be too strict somedays with calories? Maybe allow a day a week where you can eat what you want to recoup some calories? And of course, there are antidepressants if you need something of the sort. We can pretend that you and I are long lost siblings! Hi ya Sis! LOL! That way neither of us gets a family member we can't tolerate or is a hillbilly mooch. And we are half a world away so we can't just pop in whenever unannounced.

Cori is fixated on these baby birds. It is maddening that he meows at them constantly. I think after this batch of babies I am going to put a lattice made cage around them just to make sure he can't leap at the mama flying in and out. I don't know how I am going to keep him from them when they are fledgelings. Inside cat, I guess.

I gave my Garmin watch to dd...
    I think this is the first thing I have ever offered her that she actually took. We'll see how long it lasts. So, I am going to look at getting the Apple Watch. I just want phone notifications. Not walking, running and if I cycle I won't need the speed & cadence sensor since I am so gimpy.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I did Ancestry. No surprises. I have debated uploading to GEDmatch to help solve crimes but haven't yet because it's pretty much open for anyone once it goes to GEDmatch.

Still here. Mostly trying. Started strength training slowly. Ordered a hyperice on prime day.
  • swenson19d
    I did Ancestry. No surprises. I have debated uploading to GEDmatch to help solve crimes but haven't yet because it's pretty much open for anyone once it goes to GEDmatch.

Still here. Mostly trying. Started strength training slowly. Ordered a hyperice on prime day.

I uploaded mine to GEDmatch. If it helps someone I'm all for it. I don't believe they'd use it to frame me for something or clone me or whatever.

What is hyperice? I can just google it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    swenson19d wrote: »

I uploaded mine to GEDmatch. If it helps someone I'm all for it. I don't believe they'd use it to frame me for something or clone me or whatever.

What is hyperice? I can just google it.

Hyperice is one of those massage guns.

When I was testing it shadow checked it out and I used it on her hind quarters. Now she barks everytime I turn it on and won't stop until she gets massaged.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    OMG @rheddmobile! I'm glad you and your husband are ok. Ugh, that sucks. Why can't people pay attention and follow traffic laws?!?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    I am so, so, glad that you and your husband were not injured more seriously @rheddmobile!! That is just crazy! Was he drinking maybe? I mean really why would he collapse from heat stroke? Are you sure your back and shoulders are ok? When my dh was hit (he was stopped at a light and a lady hit him from behind going 45mph) he was fine until the next day and then, oh my was he bruised and sore.
    I hope the insurance will pay out enough to replace your car. If not maybe talk to a reputable attorney - just like medical insurance they will try to limit their outlay as much as possible if they can, and usually that means making you think you have no leverage.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @rheddmobile oh I'm so glad you are both OK. You really need a new year already. And yeah how on earth did he not see you! Make sure your husband gets his elbow checked out

@swenson19 yeah im starting to worry a bit about my mental health. I know my anxiety it a bit up and down atm. Though it's not too bad. I've asked for a routine blood panel looking at thyroid, iron, cholesterol, glucose etc and will see my GP on the 20th to go over the results and have a chat. I have looked at counselling as well, though I'll check everything else. I wonder if I'm in a bad cycle. I'm binge eating a lot of sugar, and my moods going down, which makes me crave sugar which leads to another binge. And this is daily.

Today I started listening to a podcast Brain over Binge. It bugs me because they keep saying the same thing over and over, just get to the point already! So I googled and got the pertinent points. And tomorrow I'll get a proper journal and start journaling. So far the main thing I have is don't argue with the cravings. Think of them as a 2yr old child asking for lollies. There is no reasoning with them. Just say no and move on. It might keep going on and on, but you can just say no. I'm the adult, I'm in control.

Well it worked today. I'm taking it a day at a time.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Dealing with insurance is terrible. DH was hit a couple years back and the other insurance didn't want to pay for anything. We got everything covered but it took months.

@avidkeo Interesting way to think of cravings. I find sometimes they'll get real intense but if I chew gum or go for a walk they'll subside. I can't do the if you're craving sugar eat fruit or whatever because then I end up eating fruit and whatever Inwas craving.

I'm working on not eliminating treats but controlling portions. Last night I had some ice cream. I scooped some out and went oh there's not much left. I should finish it. But then I looked at my bowl and said no, I have enough and put the container back.
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile So glad you and DH are mostly okay. That is horrible! Did you both go to the hospital to get checked out? I hope your husband's elbow isn't fractured. I did that once and the recovery was long. You have so much going on. It has to get better soon, doesn't it? Big hugs to you both and glad you could find some humor in the situation with the handsome guys checking on you only. Big hugs to you!

Hugs to you too, @Avidkeo . I like the way you dealt with the binges yesterday and hope you can manage to continue to do so.

You did great with the icecream @RunsOnEspresso ! I don't think I have EVER been able to do that. That's why those things I can't control are rarely in my house. Even though, I am doing really good with the big box of Oreos that my neighbor bought me. I open one of the sleeves, get out 3 (the portion size), put the rest in a ziplock bag, and put them back in the box. The box is in the pantry, so I don't see it every day. I think I've only eaten 2 sleeves and I've had them over a month.
  • rheddmobile
    @shanaber oh, it was definitely heat stroke - heat index was 104 and the police kept us all waiting in the direct sunlight for over an hour while they checked registration, filed paperwork, and so on. I was trying my best to be civil the whole time while my husband was getting on my last nerve pacing and shouting and carrying on. I finally told him I was his wife, not his mother, not responsible for talking him down and taking care of his feelings, it was my car that I love not his, and if he didn’t shut up and act like an adult he could go elsewhere.

Anyway, guy was a youngish but overweight redneck sort of guy, in a work truck. What happened was an otter of all things ran across the road. I glanced at the rear view mirror, had plenty of room, tapped the brakes and the otter made it past, then I notice guy in the rear view mirror isn’t even slowing down, he’s not paying the slightest attention. The speed limit there is 50 but it’s a straight shot of country road and I figure he was doing about 80. So, I figure I dropped to about 30, that’s essentially being struck at 50 mph. I had time to try to swerve into the other lane which is why the back is unevenly crumpled, and to say out loud, according to my husband, “Oh no, here we go.” I don’t think he literally ever saw me before he hit me, no brake noises or anything. I’m not entirely sure he wouldn’t have hit me even if I hadn’t been braking for an otter!

So, I hop out and he apologized and was very upset that he nearly killed everyone. His truck would have been driveable if not for the hood bending back to impinge on one of the front wheels, so he gets out a crowbar and starts messing with it in the heat. Policeman arrives shortly (we were five minutes from the station) ascertains that no one needs medical care, and starts filing stuff. An hour later I notice guy is leaning against his truck vomiting and think oh boy, he’s got a head injury and didn’t realize it. But what he says is he has only one kidney after donating one three years ago and it’s really easy for him to get dehydrated. I believe him since I helped carry out a runner at a trail race a couple years ago who had the same issue. It was only modestly hot but the runner overheated, went down and was completely incomprehensible and had to be transported. So, I feel bad being this mad at a kidney donor. But I am still mad. We had water in our car and poured it on his head and made him sit in the shadow behind the car and try to drink something until the emts got there. I know they called an ambulance and transported him but I haven’t followed up, will call today and find out if he’s okay I guess.

Meanwhile we are in my mom’s car which she isn’t using.
  • rheddmobile
    Btw I am working on getting my husband to check his arm out. It hit the window.felt mostly fine at the time but has since swollen and bruised and gotten painful over the distal humerus and it seems pretty likely there is a compression fracture in there. I am not running today because the dash hitting my knee has left it sore, and also I have a purple bruise on my forehead from my head hitting the sun visor, which I didn’t even notice at the time. Cars have so much power, it’s amazing any of us poor monkeys survive driving around at speeds we were never designed to understand!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    I read somewhere that way more people would die if it weren't for all the safety things that are in cars now.

We don't think about it now but cars in the 20s and 30s were basically death traps and they couldn't even go very fast!

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were discussing the issue with calling new tech self-driving or hands free. People hear that & don't think they need to stay aware and take control when needed. In Europe they aren't allowed to use thosw terms and they don't have the issues the US has. It's going to get worse before regulations come here.
  • swenson19d
    edited June 2021
    @rheddmobile Glad everyones okay. Sorry about the cute little green car. My dh is someone that could have done something like that. His ADD can be so bad, he'll get fixated on pairing his phone with the radio and flipping through it which takes his eyes off the road for far too long. I thought the same thing @shanaber did, about him drinking. A friend and I were rear ended sitting at a stop light. Everyone was fine. But the guy had been drinking. I had my head turned talking to my friend from the passenger side and have some residual neck pain. That's been maybe 20 years ago. So watch for injuries for a while. Hope your Dh's arm gets the attention it needs, on the drivers insurance. Did your dh ever get the PVC's under control?
    It's funny you mention how unbelievable your life circumstances are. I've been, er still find people I don't believe with all they have going on, and look at myself which is a heap of stuff. Dh says I am a hypochondriac. I told him that I hope there is a pill for that. LOL! Anyway, yes sometimes we find ourselves in a life storm. The driver seems to be having his own.

@avidkeo I like addressing those cravings as a little kid having a temper tantrum. I will also tell myself that I already ate junk (when I haven't). it helps too. I found that refined sugar tends to make my emotional state worse. So I try to use that as a means to not give in; ice cream and cry all day or feel low. We have been keeping halo fruit bars for a cold sweet treat. 40 calories per bar and no guilt because its fruit.

My day
    boring I hope. headache, allergies, bean has a vet appointment because she has stinky gas. I walked into the bedroom and the whole room smelled. can't be good. I ordered an Apple Watch, pick up at Walmart today. I am officially a convert. I need to get my paper for the week done and fix the dog fence. Maggie has found that she can roam. I may extend it to the front yard. We are on 2.5 acres and they have the whole back half, but I like the idea of them coming around to the front door. although Bear won't like sharing it.
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile I hope your husband will have his arm looked at. When mine was fractured, I was fine for about 2 hours. It felt like I had hit my funny bone, and slowly got stiffer and stiffer, until I just couldn't move it at all. Because of where it was, they wanted me to use it as much as possible, which wasn't much for a long time. I had PT and did exercise band curls for 8 months before I could completely straighten my arm out again. I hope that is not the case for him. Also hope you and the young man are okay. Good idea to give your knee a rest.

You would think, logically, that if you only have one kidney that you would pee less and therefore have less trouble with dehydration, not more. Hummm. My MIL found out late in life that she was born with only one kidney. She could go all day and never pee. I figured that was why.