Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber The PT had me doing rows, lat pull downs, stretches. They also gave me some other exercises I don't know if they have names 🤣 And I use super light dumbbells (5 & 8 pound) and bands (5 & 10) to have some resistance but not enough to aggravate it. I could probably go a tad heavier
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Thanks @ddmom0811 . Glad your DD has AC.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2021
    @ddmom0811 I had to look up "spark notes". Same as Cliff notes. I assume its a generational change. I was tryin got figure what it stood for... Shenanigans, people, asp's, rhinosaursaures, and kangaroos... ?

Not much here really.

Bear got bit by another snake...
    paw this time. he has learned the word "snake" finally. if he's in the bushes all you have to say is "snake" and he comes out.

Summer psychology class...
    that I enjoy. Too much learning on my own thought, I want someone to baby bird feed it to me.

Vitamin D level was low (22)...
    and supplements are helping with pain and maybe even mood. I've been trying to strengthen weak leg. But almost ugly fell 3 times in 2 days. I'm back to sitting and trying to discipline myself to do hw.

New Laptop...
    and watch. MacBook pro and series 6. I am an Apple now.

I took late dose of antidepressant yesterday and AM dose today... I'm detached. I like it. I needed a bubble. Maybe even take a bubble nap later.

Psychologist visit update.
    Receptionist overlooked that I am across state lines and visit was canceled as no video visit out of state. Then she left a message to reschedule blaming my hip surgeon for referring me... okay then. I wont reschedule.

ETA ugh leaving typos and misspellings. just acknowledging.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @swenson19d that cat! You would think he would learn by now! I hope he’s okay, at this point I would be nervous about him developing a sensitivity.

Well they are totaling my poor xterra. At least the blue book on it is high, although it will end up costing about half that again to replace it, plus costs for shipping cross-country. They are in demand so it’s tricky to find one. Fingers crossed I can find an honest dealer and get a good deal.

I finally had the talk with my mom about her never driving again. She doesn’t agree yet but knows she is in no shape to drive currently. I think she has some vague idea she is going to improve, which isn’t happening. At the moment she seems remarkably on top of things, but then she does stuff like get herself a slice of cheese and leave the knife in the fridge. Or sign a check under the line that says don’t write under this line. Or glance out the window, see my car, and say, “Oh, so and so is here!” She just does not have the attention span, reflexes and good sense to drive, and she isn’t at all aware of her own deficits.

At the present time we have her housekeeper, who is on the outs with her husband and wants a place to stay, spending nights with her, which allows us a couple of hours free every day plus sleep in our own beds. It’s still unsustainable (for one thing this is only working at all because we are between projects and if we ever get another project it all goes out the window) but I’m getting like six hours of sleep instead of four, which means I have stopped talking about driving off cliffs and jumping off buildings. One day at a time.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited July 2021
    @rheddmobile - that all sounds extremely stressful. I was talking to my brother tonight about how when my grandfather had dementia/Alzheimer's it aged our grandmother 20 years in just a few short years. Or it seemed to in our opinion. Good luck on car search.

@swenson19d - yes Spark notes are the new Cliff notes! I LOVE my Macbook Pro. I don't want to go back! This is my 3rd one because my work buys it. But if I quit there I'm buying a new one. I don't have an Apple Watch though, still a Garmin Fenix, which I love.

I'm trying to cut down my iPhone usage ... too addicted!

Anybody tried Uqora for chronic UTIs? I just ordered it. Mainly because I heard Dr. Hyman recommend it on a podcast. I think he's making a lot of money from ads! Hope he's not another Dr. Oz because I seem to be all-in!
    I was getting about 8 UTIs a year and then the urologist put me on those pills I take after sex. But I really don't like doing that... so I may try these. But, I have to say the bidet at home and the condo seem to help too!

Edit - I don't like taking the pills after the sex. (not the sex, lol)
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile I hope you can find a new xterra you like at a decent price. At least your mom knows that she can't drive "now," so hopefully she will just ease into not ever driving again and not even realize it. Glad you are getting some relief and sleep.

@ddmom0811 Snickered at your edit note. LOL I don't get frequent UTI's, knock on wood. I used to get a lot of yeast infections though and the doctor told me to always wear cotton panties and use a laundry detergent that is free from dyes and perfumes. That really helped me with those, but don't know if the same applies to UTI's. Hope the pills work.
  • swenson19d
    edited July 2021
    @rheddmobile I hope the replacement xtera comes through and all the aging parent stuff continues to improve ( with help and plans). I sure hope Bear isn’t more sensitive to the snakes. So glad he’s learned, er that it sticks. I continue to clear out shady areas. I’ve noticed so many frogs, aka the snake buffet. Really happy to hear you are getting more sleep and that you are less drawn to flying. :wink:

@ddmom0811 I don’t think I have ever had an UTI. Peeing after sex seems to do fine, I guess. I started taking cranberry supplements after hearing of so many older women going downhill after having them. Dd said she’d never put me in a home. I agreed to remain non-combative as long as I get grilled cheese sandwiches. I do get bartholins cysts, er something like that with sweaty bike shorts and the pressure just on the inside of the left labia minora I just lance it myself. So embarrassing to ask doc about it. Glad you like the sex still… lol! Personally it’s something I can do without, I have some nerve damage and it’s meh. Lol!
  • rheddmobile
    Re: UTIs - I haven’t had one since properly controlling my diabetes, used to get them constantly. You know diabetes mellitus literally means “honey pee” and Ancient Greek doctors used to diagnosis it by tasting the patient’s pee? Turns out bacteria like all that extra sugar too!
  • swenson19d
    edited July 2021
    Re: UTIs - I haven’t had one since properly controlling my diabetes, used to get them constantly. You know diabetes mellitus literally means “honey pee” and Ancient Greek doctors used to diagnosis it by tasting the patient’s pee? Turns out bacteria like all that extra sugar too!

Thanks for that tid bit. I knew it meant honey (and tasting pee). I'll be sure to remember this when I am working with diabetic patients and the importance of cleanliness (not that I overlook it).

Odd medical facts
    I really want to know why the ancient Egyptians practiced trepanning. And some of the skeletal remains show multiple over years and that the person survived at least long enough for them to heal. Some times I want a hole in my head, but doubt I could sit still for it.

ETA I just realized I had a dream that I was looking of for DH's truck and walked past a lobotomy clinic... haha!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Hi folks!

I am back from my unpacking marathon! DH came down last Sunday with both cats in tow and the next day our house hold goods were delivered...7 CRATES WORTH! What on earth! Our house here is about 400 sq ft smaller than our other one so the movers were stacking boxes to the ceiling...it was all overwhelming. But DH powered with me and we are 90% unpacked and the stuff we don't know what to do with is contained behind a door LOL. He left the following Sunday and I was surprisingly pretty sad...at least he left 1 of the cats with me.

I got my reselling business back on line and sold 6 things in 2 days! Hope the momentum keeps up. I have a lot of inventory I need to process that I bought over the last 2 months of the store being closed. I figure it takes me about 6 min per item...and I have 400 items...oof.

DH and I also spent 1 day topping off the first dumpster at mom's. I had it hauled away and a new one brought in.

Had my first meeting with the project managers to help me split the property...they said it is the second hardest thing to do in the county. She said expect 2 years and approx $100K of "improvements" aka, well, curb management, potential grading, surveys, permits. FML. I wanted to cry after that meeting. I could just throw in the towel and sell as is for less and be done with it. I told DH this (and friends I talk to say to just sell) but Mom left that property for me, she loved it there and I do to, it is amazing. Is it worth it though...I just don't know and I don't have any better ideas. If I don't do it, someone else will.

That also brought up the issue of using the money from the land to build. But now it seems DH I would have to finance the house and pay ourselves back later. Also, I was told that having a house there in 2 years is also aggressive. Maybe if I started now. But the county micro-manages it and they don't like to work. But I need to get that stuff cleaned up...and there is a lot and I need help. Which got me thinking...how do I find help? I am not going to hire some random guys. I could hire a junk hauler company, but it is cheaper if I have my own dumpster and I just hire the muscle. I guess I just need to call around...it is all just so overwhelming. It wasn't so bad when I thought I had time...but now...the other option is DH and I figure out where to live after I retire...but rent is SO HIGH, IDK if we can afford it. I was hoping to take maybe 6 mo off after retirement...but that is up in the air now.

Also dropped my running coach, a scheduled running plan was too much.

I really need help with this project...it is too much to do alone while also working full time.

I am trying to hard to be grateful ... but dang.

• quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 I was wondering how you were doing. Sounds like maybe a little better, but not great. Moving is so hard. Can you ask people on the base for recommendations? You would think they would know who is good and who isn't, in the area. Are you not wanting to live in your mom's house. For some reason, I thought that is what you were going to do. Hugs for comfort and peace about decisions that have to be made.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    edited July 2021
    Thanks @RunsOnEspresso - I am leery of trying to do anything with weights yet. I hurts to turn or move my arm just carrying light things and I feel like I have no strength in that arm.
    Wow @swenson19d - I can't believe Beary was bit again! Is he trying to play with them or does he just not see them?
    I think that is so strange that the psychologist wouldn't do a video visit across state lines. Insurance companies have 'docs on call' who are located all over the world...
    Hope you got the homework done!
    @rheddmobile - I hope the insurance claim pays replacement value and not just bluebook especially if you are replacing like with like. Glad you are able to sleep at home and still get your runs in. How is your knee and hip doing?
    I am sure that conversation with your mom was tough. We tried to talk to Hilde about it before when she was still driving but we had no 'ground' if you will, to coerce her or take her keys away since we aren't family. Her fall and being unable to get into/out of the car solved it for us and her DL has lapsed now and she no longer has a car.

Interesting on the UTIs - makes sense with diabetes but amazing that they knew enough to check for it. I read recently that UTIs are very common as we get older and our body chemistry changes. I have not had one though in years. I can't remember the last time, honestly. I also read that one of the reason they did bloodletting and used leaches (maybe trepanning too @swenson19d) was to get rid of 'fluid' that they thought built up and poisoned us, especially in women as evidenced by the menses.

@cmorning99 - I am so glad you got all moved in ok and mostly unpacked. Do you really have to go through all of the grading, surveys and 'improvements'? I would think that you could just sell an acre (or whatever size) unimproved lot. Does it need to be build ready? As for workers, like @quilteryoyo mentioned I would ask around and see if anyone can recommend some workers. There may even be some folks (college kids maybe) who want/need some extra work for the summer.

We are getting started with some of the work around our house. We had a guy out today who is taking out a cement dog run along the side of our house that we had put in years ago. He spent most of the afternoon jackhammering the cement only to find they laid rebar inside it... Dh is convinced that water is not draining away from the house along the dog run causing trouble with the stucco and walls. Too bad we have not had enough rain and there is no other source of water along that area to cause an issue. The area will be graded and then they will put down pea gravel so hopefully it will no longer be an issue. We have a guy out tomorrow to give (hopefully) the final bid on doing the ceiling and walls inside the house and painting outside.
    As part of our clean out effort I am going through an enormous collection of Beanie Babies, inventorying them and then we will try to sell them. Some may be worth something if there are collectors looking to buy them.

Does anyone in the US have plans for the 4th? We are having BIL over for a simple BBQ and we got the pool/spa heater fixed so I plan to relax in the jacuzzi.
    Next we we are headed up to No CA for our anniversary. I am looking forward, a bit nervously, to getting away for a few days and seeing friends.
  • rheddmobile
    Does any car insurance, or any kind of insurance at all for that matter, pay replacement value? I’ve got USAA which is the best insurance out there and never heard of such a thing. It’s cost versus depreciation which in the case of a car means blue book, since otherwise you would have people running their junkers off cliffs and making claims whenever they had engine trouble. Which happens all the time. My husband used to work on a factory floor overseeing people who assembled computers and someone was always telling someone else how to fake an accident or set their car on fire. And they inevitably got caught and charged with fraud.

Re: trepanning - there’s a school of belief that this was done for religious purposes, to open the “third eye.” Really no one knows, but it was done very early - like in prehistory early - and people lived through it enough to leave skulls with healed wounds. I watched a tv special about it a while back. Some nitwit British socialite who was a bohemian type did it to herself on camera using a drill during the 60’s! She claimed she was doing it to have psychic powers.

Knees still a little sore and turning colors. Fine to run but I’m lifting light for the moment since I have pain when squatting heavy.
  • swenson19d
    1) @rheddmobile You remember the name that show? I like nitwits. haha!
    2) As far as insurance the only thing I know to do is to carry gap, but that only helps if you ow more than bluebook. So, I have never heard of paying the replacement cost. It's a racket. 25K to replace but "worth" 6K and "enjoy the new car payment" 😔
    3) fraud: why are people criminals so dumb? you think they have issues with narcissism, grandiosity or over developed self confidence?

@shanaber Bear loves to play with the snakes (frogs, skinks etc). He seeks them out but apparently he can't tell a harmless Earth snake from a pigmy rattle despite the rattle. Cori is all about birds, Noodles is a rat killer, Bean is fond of the food bowl, refrigerator, "crunchy corner" where the treats are given, etc. I guess they have their own tastes.
    Beanie babies? LOL! My kids had some of the bigger ones. Least I think they were. I'd been off and on trying to find bear one that looks like a cat (not toyish), but now he has Cori. He loves his sock monkey.

Food.
    ... and saving money. I opted to take over some of the shopping (online). Seems that if you aren't walking around Walmart for an hour, you won't buy stuff you don't need. I suspect that I can maintain the groceries for just less than $200 a week for three adults, 2 dogs, and 4 cats. Does this seem reasonable? I am not eating beans and weenies or pasta or ramen. Just being mindful. So meal ideas? I should dig out the cookbooks.

@avidkeo How are you doing?

ramblings...
    I went out to the garage yesterday for something and spent 6 hours cleaning and rearranging it. Then couldn't sleep because my mind was in project mode. Dh asked if I got in to his ADD med, absolutely not. I am cautious over Tylenols, not taking a script that's not mine, I was awake til 2 and slept poorly. Its raining today, which is good. I was going to move all the stuff from the garage to the shed where it belongs, dh will bring it back eventually I am sure. I want to put the treadmill on the back porch (er have dh do it) but need a cover so it won't get wet (wind blows rain in a bit). Anyway, I have HW to do. Perhaps I am stalling or its the vitamin D or hormones; I was terribly hot last night. I also had no appetite yesterday and didn't eat until I felt it. Ideas? I thought maybe I am bipolar and had a manic episode. Not really of course. Once in a while I am sure is normal 🤔.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber I have work I need to have done on my house too. I've been saying that for years. I just need to buckle down and get someone out to do it. As for the 4th, mom and I will be going to my nephew's for a pool party with my family and his in-laws. We will get to see all three of the great grands. Even though, I am a little bit nervous about seeing them because I have been working at daycare and they have a few cases of RSV. I have asked around and researched and supposedly I can't give it to them if I'm not showing any symptoms, but I would blame myself if they get it after I see them. I will just be extra careful about hand washing and try to not breathe in their face.

@rheddmobile Glad you are doing so well after the accident.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Thanks for the UTI info. My mom gets them all the time too and she is not having sex anymore. Consider yourself very lucky, ladies! It is awful and I hate taking so many antibiotics.

For the fourth we will be at the condo and grandbabies are coming (I hope if my DH is better from his cold, which you would think was a terminal illness the way he acts). I'll be really sad if not and I will have to go visit them.

@rheddmobile - my DH was rear-ended in a really bad wreck and we were shocked what USAA paid us. The car was totalled and they gave us more than what we would have ever gotten selling it. It had such high mileage but it's true I don't think we could have found the same car for that price.

@swenson19d - so true about if you don't go to the store, you will buy much less. Unless you are on Amazon. No great ideas for food. I'm doing Purple Carrot now 3 days a week and then we usually eat out a couple of nights at the beach or just throw something together (or scraps as I call it).

@shanaber - let me know if you have any luck with the beanie babies. I have some that are supposedly worth something, according to articles I've seen online.
    Our garage at the house is a total disaster area. I keep thinking about paying these two high school boys across the street to totally clean it. I'd pay well! Since we are no longer there on the weekends, when would we do it. If we are going to sell, I guess we better get on it though.

I am currently mixing Dr Hyman suggestions with my own to try to lose about 5 pounds. High fat I am doing (just olive oil and coconut oil) I've been really good about not having processed foods. I am having a lot of fruit though, which is high sugar, but I have to assume that is okay. So basically I'm doing my own non-processed food plan. Not lost anything all week though. Oh well, it will come.

• swenson19d
    edited July 2021
    @shanaber I have work I need to have done on my house too. I've been saying that for years. I just need to buckle down and get someone out to do it. As for the 4th, mom and I will be going to my nephew's for a pool party with my family and his in-laws. We will get to see all three of the great grands. Even though, I am a little bit nervous about seeing them because I have been working at daycare and they have a few cases of RSV. I have asked around and researched and supposedly I can't give it to them if I'm not showing any symptoms, but I would blame myself if they get it after I see them. I will just be extra careful about hand washing and try to not breathe in their face.

@rheddmobile Glad you are doing so well after the accident.

I heard that RSV is prevalent. You have any idea why? I figured it was a winter virus. We have baby and mother care next semester.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Apparently in Florida (I think mostly the keys or way south) a lot of cars end up in like little inlets. There's a lot of talk that people dump their cars there after hurricanes and then claim it on insurance that they washed away.

Our house is 12 years old and needs some work done. I have just been feeling very indecisive about what I want to do in the backyard and what flooring I want to replace carpet with that I haven't gotten around to it. Then there's some painting that needs to be touched up. And some random repair things. I keep asking DH to find someone but we know how that goes LOL Kinda like I asked DH to clean out the garage last bulk pick up and he only did half of it.
  • swenson19d
    Apparently in Florida (I think mostly the keys or way south) a lot of cars end up in like little inlets. There's a lot of talk that people dump their cars there after hurricanes and then claim it on insurance that they washed away.

Our house is 12 years old and needs some work done. I have just been feeling very indecisive about what I want to do in the backyard and what flooring I want to replace carpet with that I haven't gotten around to it. Then there's some painting that needs to be touched up. And some random repair things. I keep asking DH to find someone but we know how that goes LOL Kinda like I asked DH to clean out the garage last bulk pick up and he only did half of it.

I set out white tape and a sharpie and labeled 2-3 drawers in the tool box, hoping Dh would finish the task. It’s his tool box. Nope. I did it yesterday. Put all the loose screws in plastic jars, segregated stuff and put in cat litter tubs with labels, swept and hung stuff. Maybe you can find someone and ask him to call so it’s not a female and business is handled?

I’ll remember that about Florida… dd’s car came from Florida but was registered in Ohio… I thought it was prob a college student. It came with a very fair amount of sand… makes me wonder.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Hey guys. Still here. Been busy with work and personal stuff. Husband is acting like an *kitten*. I'm tempted to kick him to the curb. Partly joking. Partly serious. He's been in a mood for the last 5days. I think i know why. And if that's the reason, I may be done. So dealing with a lot there.

Other than that, trying to eat better. Did well this week. No binges. A few times I thought I wanted to let go and binge (stress and a *kitten* it all feeling) but I wasn't able to and that's fine with me. Didn't track yesterday but pretty sure I was OK at least.

I'm working all weekend, 3 - 11pm. Guh. So trying to relax during the day so I'm not exhausted for the night.

I did buy a new toy. After the parking debacle and the fact there is no parking for night time staff. I bought an ebike. We have some good hills here between home and work. Its a cheaper model so hopefully it lasts a couple of years. I'm now using it to commute. It's only 2.7k that's what 1.5 miles? Rose it to and from work yesterday it was great. Hoping I hardly use the second car and we can sell it.

Or ship to florida to junk :wink: