Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @swenson19d - love that you are painting! I used to draw a lot and liked working in chalk but it is so messy. I haven't done either in a very long while. So happy you are going to be able to get back into the nursing program!
    "Feed the gut microbes responsibly" this sounds like it should be a bumper sticker or in an advertisement 😁

I am sitting here contemplating going for a walk... probably won't. It is Hobbes' 10th birthday and I am going to make him a doggy birthday cake or maybe cupcakes. Will post pictures later. Also I am looking at the window contemplating all the cars in our little cul-de-sac. We and our direct neighbor next to us park our cars in our garages. The other three houses use the garage for storage and have at least 4 cars each with either 2 or 3 parked on the street. It is not an issue for them to park on the street it just makes it look very full and crowded... I do find it interesting that those who can't/don't use the garage have so many more cars.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning!

@swenson19d I don't have an artistic cell in my body LOL

Another week down and another week with minimal progress on all fronts. I thought I was going to try and get back to a healthier lifestyle this week but meh, between DH Bday and it being a short week, it just don't happen. Yesterday we went to the bowling alley and we had fried food, I was so sick all evening. I think I can pretty easily say no to fried foods now. It is the carbs and sugar LOL. Haven't run in a week.

I DID order the cat food ($500)
    I DID call the soils engineer and the report will be ready in 2-3 weeks. Blech. Plans can't even go to engineering till we have it.
    I MET my step and calorie goal 1x this week.

A friend of mine bought some "oracle" cards...where you can pull them and they will give you advice. She pulled 3 cards for me:

"I don't have to fear my fear, I can use it as a way to get closer to love"
    "I accept that good things come easily. I am a super attractor"
    "The Universe is always conspiring to support me, guide me, and lead me compassionately towards the highest good"

It seemed applicable to my current mental state.

I came across an article yesterday about how a family went to 1 income and actually budgeted and they lived better than with 2 incomes and no accountability. DH and I have been sorta tracking but not really reigning ourselves in. Both our finances are completely separate. Right now my #1 expenditure is vet bills...between meds, food, and visits I am spending almost $1K a month if we avg out the last 6 months. Still trying to overcome my fear of lack of money when I retire. We WILL be fine, but the unknown and control freak in my is not happy. I mentioned DH applied for a Gov Civ position...coincidently? the day they were reviewing resumes, his Big Boss sent a 5 paragraph letter of appreciation to his company and CC'd the hiring authority :)

On an "interesting note" every person I know who has gone a cruise has tested + for covid within 24hrs of getting back.

Well, it is almost lunch time already...best get to it. Have a great 4th Holiday.

• shanaber
    @CMorning99 - I think with planning you should be fine with retirement. The vet bills won't be forever and you need to do what you can now to enjoy the kitties while you can. Were you planning on going on a cruise?
    I would love to go on a cruise... we had planned to go on a river cruise in Europe for our Anniversary (40th and now 45th) but won't be for sure this year. We are going to SF instead - for our honeymoon our parents (his and mine) all went to SF. The parents stayed in nice hotels and since we were poor we stayed in the East Bay with friends. So on this trip we are staying in downtown SF at the Ritz Carlton 😊 I have already started making a list of places to visit while we are there. (Note - we lived there for a few years and bought our first house so we have lots of memories to revisit).

Hobbes had a wonderful 10th birthday I think... pictures under the split from his visit to doggy daycare and then his cake at home. It was a carrot, peanut butter, blueberry cake with Greek yogurt, peanut butter frosting. Someone set off fireworks nearby though and now he is hiding...
    yklb4b85ggrc.jpeg
    Birthdays are SO much fun!
    wsu89k26629z.jpeg
    hgfvvpm7kstf.jpeg
    Ok - Give me cake NOW!
    0cqwld0hdngq.jpeg

Food for me was pretty bad. I didn't eat much, we didn't have anything I wanted for breakfast (no yogurt and no milk for cereal...) I was busy at lunch and ended up with pita chips and dip and DH got me a salad for dinner. We went to Costco so at least I have yogurt now. Do you all use milk or have a favorite milk substitute? I am thinking of trying oat milk. We just don't drink enough milk fast enough and it just ends up spoiling and being wasted.
    Also my weight has not moved and looking back I am just under the highest I have been since I got the scale. Guess I need to change something! When we get back from SF I am going to make sure we have fruit and veggies and plan out meals so it is more likely I will eat B-L-D every day.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I've been so busy at work that I haven't had energy to do much else ouside of that. I did run a few times this week but skipped Thursday. It's been about 90 degrees and 50% humidity at 5 am this week. I know that humidity may not seem bad to some of you but when you add in the heat and the relentless sun (there's no real shade) it sucks. LOL

I was supposed to be off today but I had to do a few hours of work this morning.
  • shanaber
    Happy 4th of July everyone in the US! Hope you have a safe, fun and food filled day!
    Dh and I are going to BBQ brats but other than that not doing anything special. I do want get Hobbes out this morning for a little run or walk as it helps to keep him calm. Last night he literally climbed on top of DH on the couch and if he couldn't be there he was glued to me (I was baking cookies).

@Avidkeo - you doing ok?
    @RunsOnEspresso - hope you were able to relax this weekend without work intruding!

Well the scale dipped own a little yesterday finally. not enough but at least going in the right direction. It doesn't help that I want to eat everything and nothing... so I end up eating nothing and then having a huge dinner and trying to make up for not really eating enough all day. It also seems to be mostly carbs that I do eat and that is part of the weight loss problem, I need to get the protein in. Yesterday however I ate toast with PB before my run and made myself a smoothie for brunch after my run and a huge salad with chicken for dinner. There was also a donut in there too after my run but otherwise it was a pretty good day with closer to normal calories and macros.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm non-exempt (gotta punch that clock) and no OT so I only worked a couple of hours on Friday, left my out of office on, and then clocked out. It was really more so I wasn't in complete overwhelm tomorrow. I did a few tasks I needed to get done and got myself organized.

I didn't have anything planned except working on my own business/content so it wasn't a big deal to work at home for a few hours.

I did my weigh-in Saturday. Scale was up from last week. Most measurements were the same and two were lower. I am not too worried about the number on the scale yet. I think it was natural fluctuations.

So while I was stripped nakkie and doing my measurements I saw this HUGE (to me - it was definitely larger than most but not like tarantula) spider come creeping out from under the cabinet (near where I was standing). I jumped on the toilet (cover was down) and started going oh my god over and over. It went behind my free-standing shelf and I did not want to climb down. I was hyperventilating and trying to calm down and figure out what I could kill it with. Because I was in the spare bathroom, and nakkie, with no weapons.

I feared if I left the bathroom it would disappear and I'd be freaking out as to where it was in the house forever. Soon it came creeping back out and I grabbed the kleenex box because that was all I had! I was able to murder that creeper. I then grabbed a shitton of kleenex and was going to dispose of it's corpse. I couldn't do it. Irrationally I thought it would come back to life (it was in pieces). I then thought I could sweep it into the dustpan. Nope. It was literally making me nauseous. So I finished measuring myself, keeping a careful eye on the corpse, got dressed, and closed the door.

DH comes out (who I thought was asleep this whole time) and asks why the bathroom light was one. I tell him there's a spider corpse that needed to be disposed of and I didn't want to forget to tell him. He was surprised I did not scream. I thought he was sleeping so tried to contain my screams. He then opens the door and goes "where? I don't see anything".

Immediately my heart starts beating rapidly as I realize my worse nightmare has come true. I go over there and notice he has not opened the door far enough. I slowly push it open to display the body. At that exact moment, nosey Shadow thinks she is gonna save us and lunges for the body. I grab her and yell no because I have no idea what kind of spider this is and don't want her to eat something that may poison her from the inside (she once ate a dead wasp before DH could get its corpse and I spent the entire day googling if she was going to be stung. It can happen but is rare. She was fine).

Needles to say, I have spent the last few days checking everywhere for spiders. Afterward, I sat on the couch trying to compose myself enough to go running. I could feel bugs crawling on me and my stomach-turning. I guess it's time to spray for bugs!

If that's not an irrational fear I don't know what is!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2022
    OMG @RunsOnEspresso yes irrational! But I get it. I use to get scared of toile-hoggs. They lived in your toilet. Not real btw. I am still scared of water, lakes and pools, but love to swim.

I got a FB group for you. It is a Spider group. I am assuming that if you can learn to ID them, that you could talk yourself down. DH is still a little creeped by the insects, but he is usually pretty good at just collecting them and putting them out. The other night we had a juvenile male wolf spider crawling on Sandy in the bed. It wasn't a big deal, just relocated him. He was scouting females and probably came in from the heat in search of water.
    A bit of exposure therapy, via FB, might help if you want to take control of the irrational fear.

Our neighbours posted on the neighbourhood FB page that a 50lb tortoise ran away with the fireworks last night. He's out eating your spiders! ☺️ I taught the pups to "get the bug". Kevin plays with it. "SANDY SMASH" all bugs with her giant paws. πŸ˜„ Teach Shadow to rescue you!

• shanaber
    OMG @RunsOnEspresso - I can totally relate! My dh laughs when I tell him there is a big spider he has to get for me... Every once in a while they are big even to him. I have washed spiders down the drain in the shower and then worried that somehow they were going to come back up while I was shampooing or rinsing with my eyes closed.
    We had one once in the kitchen that I thought was a baby tarantula that I left be and it disappeared never to be seen again. Honestly I am not afraid of tarantulas, used to work with them at the zoo but the small spiders... nope. I really like it when we have had the house fumigated, at least for a few months there are no spiders and no bugs of any kind.
    Hobbes ignores all bugs unless it is an annoying fly or a June Bug buzzing him directly.

I got a short 4 miles (4 for the 4th) in today but ended up walking most of it. My hip, hamstring, glute were talking and I really don't want to aggravate that again so decided it was best to just walk. It was really nice out so good to just get out there.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @swenson19d I can't get the pictures to load right now. I'll try again later, but I'm sure that your paintings are better than anything I could do, even if you don't think so. We are our own worst critics. Glad you were able to get back into the nursing program.

@shanaber I here you on the weight gain. I think you will be fine to run in San Francisco. I went there once when I was in the AF in August, thinking it would be hot. I wound up having to buy a sweatshirt from one of the stores just to stay warm enough to walk around the wharf area. It was weird to me that it was that cold there. Happy birthday to Hobbes! Love the cake and his birthday outfit. Tippy would NOT tolerate that. :lol: So sorry that the fireworks scares him though. I'm lucky that Tippy could care less. Yeah for your weight going down a bit!

@CMorning99 You will do fine. I'm like you on tracking my finances. I write it down just to see where my money goes, but don't really use it to "reign" myself in. But then, I'm not one to just go out and spend money willy nilly either. You will adjust and do fine. Besides, if DH has a job and you have your retirement, that is NOT one income. It's still two, just one is a little less. And, with your reselling business, that makes three incomes. :wink:

@RunsOnEspresso Your description of your spider encounter was very well written. So sorry that happened to you. I sometimes have that fear too, but now that I live alone, I have to overcome it because no one else is around to take over for me. I'm glad it didn't come back to life. That would've been awful.

I got back from my vacation yesterday about 4 pm. I was afraid to weigh this morning, but was only up about 1.5 pounds from last Sunday. I'm sure most of it is water weight, or at least I hope so I eat horribly when I am gone and on the road - tend to eat during the drive just to stay awake. Yesterday, I ate a bag of cheddar cheese popcorn on the drive. On the way down, I ate grapes, which is good. I always take cheese, so I can have cheese and crackers too. I had bought some spicy trail mix from Publix. It was good, but too spicy for me, especially while driving.

I'll try to post some pictures from the trip later. I need to get out and fix my mailbox. A tree from my neighbor's hill fell across the main road while I was gone. Who ever cut it out of the road pushed the main trunk into the ditch, against my mailbox post, making it lean back. My neighbor came this morning and drug the log away from the mailbox and straightened it up (He was supposed to let me know when he was going to work on it so I could help, but didn't.) He told my mom that I need to find a stick to drive in behind the post to give it a little bit more stability. So, that's what I'm headed out to do and maybe clean up a bit of the limbs that wound up on the hill beside of my driveway. I want to get it done before it gets too hot.
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

Slowly reading through everyones posts.

@runsonespresso I know that feeling as well...I get it with a) heights and b) dead animals (not buts, but big ones).

@shanaber We took a European cruise for our 10th anniversary, it was amazing...I think it was 18 days. A cousin of mine went to Berkley and so I have faint memories of SF.

I can't believe how quickly the 4 day weekend went! DH and I didn't do anything interesting. I went out and thrifted everyday and then came home and worked on what I had bought. I ended up making over 100 drafts to work on throughout the week. Had a couple good finds. A Rebecca Minkoff silk blazer new with tags, some brand called KidRobot...it is a collab graphic art piece and rare and I got a sweatshirt...and 8 Janie and Jack dresses and 1 overcoat! 1 sold within an hour. Overall I made $387 gross sales in 4 days...that comes out to about $200 profit before taxes.

We have a good friend coming to visit on the 21st so I am going to try a 16 day challenge. Short and sweet...I can do it for 16 days right?

1) Take vitamins everyday
    2) Drink 64 oz of water a day
    3) 5K steps
    4) Strength training 3x
    5) Run a total of 25 miles
    6) Use all my face creams (I have a bad habit of not moisturizing and I have really dry skin)

Well, I best get to it today. Will report back how I do today...slept like crap...I had a dream that I accidently went to work at 2:30am and was so confused why the sun was not coming up for hours and hours. Interpret that one LOL

• quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 Sounds like you had a good weekend. Hahaha about the dream. Maybe it is telling you that you are an overachiever. Just wait until you retire. I have a recurring dream about being called back into the AF, or being in uniform already somewhere, but can't find my hat. LOL
  • shanaber
    I don't dream, generally or at least not that I can remember. I have had a few nights lately where I can't get to sleep and I just toss and turn for hours. A friend suggested an edible but they are SO incredibly expensive here because of all the various taxes. I found them when we were in OR and got the ones my friend recommended with Elderberry and Indica intended to help you sleep. I can honestly say they work great. I still didn't dream though. 😊
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

@shanaber I am curious about CBD and stuff. Obviously I can't use them now. It is getting so annoying what companies are putting CBD in. Cigarettes, drinks, smoothies...I feel like I have to read every ingredient list.

@quilteryoyo My reoccurring "stress" dream is being late and not able to get somewhere, generally it is the airport and I am trying to get to the gate. I also still get lost in HS too LOL.

Yesterday I felt really well. Not sure why with my crap sleep but I did take my vitamins and St Johns Wort. I ordered more.

Results for yesterday (added 1 item)

1) Take vitamins everyday (1/16)
    2) Drink 64 oz of water a day (SUS - do I count all the coffee and tea I drink? I had maybe 20 oz of actual water water)
    3) 5K steps (1/16)
    4) Strength training 3x (0/3)
    5) Run a total of 25 miles (0/3)
    6) Use all my face creams (I have a bad habit of not moisturizing and I have really dry skin) (1/16)
    7) Collagen smoothie for breakfast everyday (1/16)

Boss is on leave for the next 10 days so I have a to do list to kingdom come (he started it early). I brought clothes to go to the gym and find a quiet corner to do a peloton app strength plan. I hope the gym has an area...I never been in there LOL

On track today, feeling mentally good. Have a great day!

• quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 You are doing great with your plan so far! Keep it up! I also have the stress dream of being in college and getting lost or not being able to find my class. It usually ends up that I can't graduate because I didn't finish/pass that one math class that I need - mainly because I never made it to class. LOL
  • shanaber
    I am just amazed that you all dream like that and remember the dreams. I can't remember the last time I woke up and knew what I had dreamed about.

@CMorning99 - I am not a big one for trying CBD or THC but having the edibles for the rare occasion when I just can't seem to fall asleep makes sense for me and the ones I bought are specifically to help you sleep. When we were in a pet store in Seattle dh bought CBD treats for Hobbes. They may be fine for him but I am a bit afraid to give them to him...
    I think you can count the coffee and tea you drink. I heard on a podcast a while ago that anything liquid that we take in (juice, coffee, even sodas) count towards keeping us hydrated. Water is best but not the only thing.

I had a really nice run today and so far food has been on point both yesterday and today. We leave tomorrow morning for SF so I may have a few days of not so great again...
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber I used to have more dreams that I remember and had a ton right after John passed away. I always felt they were trying to tell me something, or they were so vivid they were hard to ignore. Some nights I did have pen and paper beside the bed to take notes so I would remember in the morning. Some, I didn't need that to remember. A couple I have had have been so vivid that I remember them years later. It's amazing to me when I hear that someone doesn't remember dreams. I've heard everyone dreams, just everyone doesn't remember them. I think you have to wake up in the middle of them, or right after, in order for them to be clear. Maybe you just sleep really soundly. I don't. I had a dream when I was young about sitting in my yard and looking up at the sky and seeing 2 earths orbiting...like I was on a different planet and could see these two planets that looked like earth. It was so real that sometimes I still wonder if it was a dream or not. LOL (I know it was, but often wonder why I would dream that as a little girl in the 60's.)

I hope you have a wonderful trip to SF and I wouldn't even worry about food. Just enjoy your anniversary. You won't do permanent harm in a week.

• shanaber
    @quilteryoyo - that dream sounds so interesting... maybe that is why you went to work on satellites and rockets! I used to sleep out in our backyard as a kid and would fall asleep counting the stars and of course looking for falling stars. Never saw multiple earths though... may have seen some of the other planets but didn't realize it at the time.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber That could be. I really wanted to be an astronaut, but after realizing I have mild dyslexia (undiagnosed) and claustrophobia, I don't think that would have worked out. LOL
  • CMorning99
    Good morning

Well, my streak ended at 2 days LOL

We had a rocket blow up on the pad in the wee hours of Wed morning so I was called into the Emergency Ops Center. I lived off of coffee and the food that was delivered for 15 hours. I took 1,200 steps all day since I was glued to the phone/computer.

I thought about getting back to it today but I am a complete zombie from the sudden work schedule change. Might not and just make life easy and let the day flow as it will.

Have a good weekend.

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    @shanaber Interesting about dreams. Below is an excerpt from a discussion (for next week), by me.
    I came aross an article this week Memories with a blind mind: Remembering the past and imagining the future with aphantasia. Authors-Dawes AJ;Keogh R;Robuck S;Pearson J., I'd never heard of aphantasia and it took me down a rabbit hole (I requested on ILL if any one wants a copy just email me). Mind blindness was measured by the lack of a pupillary response when conjuring an image. Just "looking" inward for visual information is still linked to the eyes. That wasn't the point of the puplication, just a rabbit bit on cognitive recall.

ETA I wondered how aphantasia effected reading and dreaming. Is there a difficulty in visualising the story lines and characters? Do they dream in images? I don't like reading fiction but do dream in images. I thought the people who report never remembering their dreams, or a lack of colour might have it.

I got a card today from TWU
    On the outside it says "Congratulations! your'e in! inside below. I thought that was nicer than the form letter.
    wmunxugihrwv.png

I still need to submit the application to their nursing programme. Just in case. I've already done all the leg work for it, so might as well. My dad worked at TWU when I was a kid. We'd walk from home to visit him. He was an electrician. I think their psych programme isn't what I want, but Ill look at it again. Be kinda neat to go there.