NEW Halo Top retail store opening soon!

Options
2»

Replies

• wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I bought mint chip and it was the most disgusting ice cream I've ever had.

I'm going to try one more time with another flavor but as of now..... Wtf is wrong with you people?

@erica_today what didn't you like about that flavor? You should try the PB cup or Salted Caramel (or chocolate/vanilla) next.

Honestly the mint tasted so strong and there was almost no chocolate chips and idk it just seemed weird but definitely the mint was off

the person who invented combining mint and chocolate, should be dug up, executed and buried again. I don't dislike either but the combo is just so awful. you can combine chocolate with lots of things, including chili, but mint has to go stay far away from it :p (jmho)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Here is how to make the "base" halo top at home (without the added chemical ingredients). I fiddled around with the protein powder and changed it to plain (no added sugar) and it came out to about 240 calories. ( I guess that you could add fruit, nuts, and other stuff.)

This recipe uses the ziplock method of making ice cream. Ingredients in the inner bag. Ice and salt in the outer one.

This makes one serving...

1/2 cup 2% milk / 0.50 cup Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat - / calories 61 / Total Fat 2 / Total Carbs 6 / Protein 4

1 egg / 1 large Egg / Egg - / calories 72 / Total Fat 5 / Total Carbs 0 / Protein 6

1 teaspoon gelatin / 1 tsp(s) Gelatin / Gelatin - calories 8 / Total Fat 0 / Total Carbs 1 / Protein 0

1/4 cup water / 0.25 cup Water / Water - Water - calories 0 / Total Fat 0 / Total Carbs 0 / Protein 0

1 scoop protein powder / 0.25 cup / Whey Protein Powder- Plain Generic - calories 105 / Total Fat 2 / Total Carbs 2 / Protein 23

4. Add gelatin to the saucepan. Once fully combined, remove saucepan from heat. Add protein powder when mixture is fully cooled.
    5. Let milk mixture cool and pour into a plastic bag. Fill other ziplock bag with ice and salt.
    6. Place the bag full of ingredients into the bag with ice and salt and seal.
    7. Shake the bag for 5-10 minutes until the mixtures hardens into ice cream.
    8. Mix in any desired toppings.

Ref: https://spoonuniversity.com/recipe/homemade-halo-top-ice-cream-recipe
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    wimdroid wrote: »
    I bought mint chip and it was the most disgusting ice cream I've ever had.

I'm going to try one more time with another flavor but as of now..... Wtf is wrong with you people?

@erica_today what didn't you like about that flavor? You should try the PB cup or Salted Caramel (or chocolate/vanilla) next.

Honestly the mint tasted so strong and there was almost no chocolate chips and idk it just seemed weird but definitely the mint was off

the person who invented combining mint and chocolate, should be dug up, executed and buried again. I don't dislike either but the combo is just so awful. you can combine chocolate with lots of things, including chili, but mint has to go stay far away from it :p (jmho)

You're insane. York, thin mints, mint chip ice cream .... These things are amazing you're completely wrong. Well you are right when halo top tries to do it. But I'll buy a more common flavor since that will be harder for them to screw up. Throw pb cups on anything and it tastes good.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Here is how to make the "base" halo top at home (without the added chemical ingredients). I fiddled around with the protein powder and changed it to plain (no added sugar) and it came out to about 240 calories. ( I guess that you could add fruit, nuts, and other stuff.)

This recipe uses the ziplock method of making ice cream. Ingredients in the inner bag. Ice and salt in the outer one.

1/2 cup 2% milk / 0.50 cup Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat - / calories 61 / Total Fat 2 / Total Carbs 6 / Protein 4

1 egg / 1 large Egg / Egg - / calories 72 / Total Fat 5 / Total Carbs 0 / Protein 6

1 teaspoon gelatin / 1 tsp(s) Gelatin / Gelatin - calories 8 / Total Fat 0 / Total Carbs 1 / Protein 0

1/4 cup water / 0.25 cup Water / Water - Water - calories 0 / Total Fat 0 / Total Carbs 0 / Protein 0

1 scoop protein powder / 0.25 cup / Whey Protein Powder- Plain Generic - calories 105 / Total Fat 2 / Total Carbs 2 / Protein 23

4. Add gelatin to the saucepan. Once fully combined, remove saucepan from heat. Add protein powder when mixture is fully cooled.
    5. Let milk mixture cool and pour into a plastic bag. Fill other ziplock bag with ice and salt.

Does spoonuniversity understand that a whole pint of halo top can be 240ish calories and not just one serving? Or that they need hooked on phoenics if they have trouble pronouncing any of the ingredients in halo top? (Total pet peeve of mine. Obvious illiteracy doesn't make an ingredient bad for you.)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I wonder if each one will be greeted with the enthusiasm of each new Krispy Kreme shop.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »

Halo Top uses erythritol for its sweetener, and it's actually a great low-carb sweetener that I use a lot for baking. I've made a simple vanilla ice cream with tempered egg yolk, cream and erythritol and it's absolutely delicious. So if you like a classic, creamy custard-based ice cream, it's very easy to make it that way too!