HELP!!! I went over my calories. DEVASTATED!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• kimberley1975mfp
    kimberley1975mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Where is the calculator thing? I clicked on goals and this is what it shows but where do I go back to the calculator and how do I adjust my daily calorie intake amount? Thanks fm9lgr3e8x9d.png
  • kimberley1975mfp
    Options
    Oh I figured it out :)
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been eating well with no falling off the wagon days since April 20th.2017 down 31 pds and about 27 inches. Yesterday I planned a falling off the wagon day, boy did I fall off, hit my head, stayed there awhile, but today, I got up and hopped back on the wagon and am eating as I should, plan on working out today and I feel great. One Day is not the end of the world. I promise never to say I will start back Monday again in my life. And as far as looking up the nutritional info, nothing goes in my mouth without knowing that before hand, even yesterday I knew. It is important and I think something great for your children to learn. Healthy eating is a learned behavior.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just want to say 33 pounds is AWESOME. You must be so proud & feeling amazing. Keep up the great work & don't forget to give yourself kudos for all you've accomplished. You deserve it.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yeah it said 1567 but that seems high doesn't it

No it doesn't seem high at all. I'm 5'6" too and I'm losing a steady kilo (2 lb) a week on 1580. I tried 1300 for a couple of weeks but it was torture!
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1900 is probably not too far from your maintenance number, so a day around 1900 is probably not only not going to hurt you, it's probably a GOOD idea when you're eating at such a low deficit most days. 1200 is really hard to maintain in the long term, you were hungry because 1200 is a really low calorie count to live on day after day. When you have such an aggressive deficit, allowing yourself a day of maintenance level calories once in awhile is going to make it more sustainable over the long run.

• kimberley1975mfp
    Options
    Yes well I woke today and had totally forgiven myself. Mostly thanks to all of you for reminding me that I have lost 33lbs in a few months and that one day is not the end of the world. I have adjusted my calorie intake to 1400 from 1200 which is a step because I'm not sure I can get to 1567 right away but I'm sure when I go on vacation I'll go up a bit anyway :). I thank you all for your kind words and motivation ❤️
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You will always have those days. Some days are better than others. Beating yourself up does nothing productive. You don't have to google calories. Do you have the my fitness pal app? You can use it to scan barcodes or for quick lookups. That's all I use. And yes I've gone over plenty of times. I'm doing the keto diet but some days my macros are all out of wack. It happens.
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    lichn wrote: »
    1900 is probably not too far from your maintenance number, so a day around 1900 is probably not only not going to hurt you, it's probably a GOOD idea when you're eating at such a low deficit most days. 1200 is really hard to maintain in the long term, you were hungry because 1200 is a really low calorie count to live on day after day. When you have such an aggressive deficit, allowing yourself a day of maintenance level calories once in awhile is going to make it more sustainable over the long run.

If she is losing 3 lbs a week at 1200 her maintenance would be more like 2700.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too, I am also on a 1200 calorie diet. The scale went up in water weight by 4 pounds, but at the end of the week I still had lost my two pounds I was looking for. It takes a lot of work to gain a pound and takes a lot of work to lose a pound. 1900 calories means nothing if you have been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet. 1200 calories isn't for everyone, if you are finding yourself starving and feeling miserable all the time, try allowing more calories so you don't have to call them cheat days and feel miserable. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT WORK SO FAR!!!!

Now slow down a bit and enjoy the ride!

I am going to assume that your goal is not just to lose weight... your goal is probably to maintain that loss long term, right?

What have you learned so far about how you're going to have to eat and move to maintain your loss over the next five years?

Are you going to be eating 1200 and being devastated when you go to 1900, and doing everything else you've been doing... forever?

Feeling faint and tired are reactions to severe under-eating. That will resolve by rebound eating or by ending up in hospital (or both) **UNLESS** you change things.

The good news is that a longer period of slower losses will give you the time to explore strategies and learn things that you can use during maintenance.

Do you even know how your water weight varies on a daily basis or with various activities such as eating out, exercise, or air travel? How devastated will you be when you look at the scale and see you've gained 5lbs or more on the day after you return from vacation? (Hint: wait at least 2 days after air travel and eating out or expect to see water weight on your scale)

An average loss of 3lbs a week indicates that your average daily deficit is about 1500 Cal a day. Figure out what you've been eating on average and add 1500 Cal a day to figure out what your real maintenance level was during this time period.

A normally aggressive deficit would be 20% of that total. NOT 50% or more.

Feeling faint and week will act together to reduce that TDEE (maintenance) level and will make it harder to lose weight moving forward.

Be kind to yourself as you move forward :smile:
  • kimberley1975mfp
    Options
    Ok. Clearly nearly everyone believes 1200 is too few. And to be honest I watch a lot of my 600lb life lol. And when that doctor puts those over weight obese people on a diet it's a strick 1000 calorie a day diet. Low carb high protein. So since I didn't want to end up on that show I figured 1200 calorie seems about right. Because when I used a BMI calculator it said I was obese so I went for it. Maybe I'm not 600lbs but I felt that big. I will tone it down then and shoot for higher calories daily. Clearly I like food or I wouldn't have gotten to 222lbs so adding a few would probably make me happier anyway :). Thanks again to everyone who took the time to "weigh" in ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok. Clearly nearly everyone believes 1200 is too few. And to be honest I watch a lot of my 600lb life lol. And when that doctor puts those over weight obese people on a diet it's a strick 1000 calorie a day diet. Low carb high protein. So since I didn't want to end up on that show I figured 1200 calorie seems about right. Because when I used a BMI calculator it said I was obese so I went for it. Maybe I'm not 600lbs but I felt that big. I will tone it down then and shoot for higher calories daily. Clearly I like food or I wouldn't have gotten to 222lbs so adding a few would probably make me happier anyway :). Thanks again to everyone who took the time to "weigh" in ;)

Use MFP to get a calorie goal based on a reasonable deficit.

Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    About your vacation - you mentioned using Google so I don't know if you know this, but you can look up specific restaurants by location directly in MFP. Just click the little location icon when you add foods and it will bring up a map with different restaurants and their menus based on your location. It makes picking what to eat and logging it very quick and easy.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

The reason they do that is to get their weight down as much as possible pre-surgery. It's different when you're under doctor supervision, but you are making the right step by upping up your totals :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I watch a lot of my 600lb life lol. And when that doctor puts those over weight obese people on a diet it's a strick 1000 calorie a day diet. Low carb high protein.

The key word there is "doctor". There are ultra low calorie diets that can be used for obese folks - protein sparing modified fasts - but you really have to know what you're doing. Hence...."doctor"...meaning properly supervised...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    ...I watch a lot of my 600lb life lol. And when that doctor puts those over weight obese people on a diet it's a strick 1000 calorie a day diet. Low carb high protein.

It's not strictly true, but maybe close enough for gub'mint work: I figure that if I see something on TV (or in a magazine in the grocery checkout line), it's probably bad/misleading advice about how to lose weight on my own. ;)

• durstybritt
    durstybritt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    I didn't set per week I just put 150 for the overall goal and then it said 1200. But prior to that before I put a goal it said 1567

I assume you want this weight loss to last.

If you are getting severe hunger and dizziness.... that's not sustainable long term, and increases your likelihood of falling back into old patterns of eating that made you gain weight to begin with!

Something to think on.... remember that the changes you are making to HOW you are eating, WHAT you are eating, and HOW MUCH you are eating... need to be for life. You are establishing new habits, not just trying to diet to drop weight then go back to how you ate before because the "diet" is over.

You are doing great - but make sure that the changes you are making are ones you can live with for the rest of your life... don't race to drop the weight... you didn't put it all on in such a short time.. and you don't have to take it off so fast either.

THIS.