How to stop eating out of boredom?

2»

Replies

• xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Yeeeessss to crafting! Hi other knitters!! :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I love what @kommodevaran has to say about thinking like a normal weight person. But I think it may take a while to get there, especially after a lifetime of disordered food habits!

If you are currently trying to lose weight, the perfect hobby is working out. Find a YouTube video of something that looks fun - personally I like Bollywood dance workouts - and go for it. Fifteen minutes will snap you out of your boredom, that's about three songs. Then have a small piece of fruit or glass of milk or another healthy snack to replenish the carbs you used up, with the calories you just earned through exercise. Presently your brain will learn that "I'm bored" means "Well I guess you get to work out then," instead of "I should eat something!" And your brain will be like a kid whose mom says "If you're bored, go clean your room..." suddenly "Who said I was bored? I'm not bored at all!"

If that doesn't sound appealing there are a million possible hobbies. I like quilting and making dollhouse miniatures, learning languages online (badly!), researching genealogy, and making friends on MFP. Read a book. Write a book.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Oh - one more thought - wanting to drive somewhere to get a treat suggests that there are not enough diet-friendly treats in your house. Having something nearly zero calorie to snack on is a good plan. I like sliced salted radishes or roasted seaweed for when I'm craving salt and decaf lattes with almond milk and cinnamon, dark chocolate, or herbal teas, for when I'm craving sweet. For under 30 calories you can eat something which makes you happy and less crazy feeling.
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    I drink a cup of water and find people's progress pics online. Or stories of people that failed and ending up putting on 100+ lbs. Usually, it starts on a spiral down the internet rabbit hole and I end up looking into things that interest me. I've picked up a couple hobbies that way. Right now I am taking a class that keeps me occupied for most of my time outside of work. That helps too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I knit or quilt or sew garments, all after I've washed my hands. Since I don't want to get the projects dirty, I don't snack while I'm doing them. ...

I'll jump in on sewing project. Find something in your closet that you never wear because it just doesn't look great on you... wrong hem length, ragged edges, needs taking in or letting out somewhere... and rehabilitate it. A complicated fix will keep your mind occupied, and even a simple fix will keep your hands busy. You'll feel awesome about wearing it when you finish it AND about sticking to your plan. Double bonus!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Zeii wrote: »
    How do you train yourself to stop eating out of boredom?

I need a hobby.

Answered your own question...