Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    Carbs, non essential macro nutrient aka sugar, glucose, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen... the trigger for insulin (fat storage hormone) also known for lowering cortisol (stress) and raising leptin ( tells brain your full and to burn fat)

Low carb is messed up unless you go keto (high fat) with it, cause Itll make you cranky and argumentive

Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin

This is technically incorrect. If your body produces no insulin, as in type 1 diabetes, you will lose weight no matter how many calories you consume.

Which is the exact opposite of what I was saying and I was referring to someone with no medical condition....

Insulin is required for everyone, medical condition or not, and it does effect the way the body handles and stores calories. I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

Links to said studies...

Without insulin you wouldn't be able to store fat. It's a pretty basic understanding of how the human body works...

You said multiple studies show the same exact calories don't by result in weight losss and I asked you to link to said studies.

But please, keep changing the subject ...

I think you're confused and should look at the quotes to see who said what.

But back to what I was saying. Without insulin you aren't able to put on fat. In response to you saying "Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin". Without insulin, there is no fat storage.

Here is a direct quote for you

I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

So I think you are the one that needs to go back and read it...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    How do I delete this? Had so much negativity over a simple question.

People seem to think both myself and my nutritionist are idiots

You can use the report function (bottom right corner of your post on a PC or the three dots in the top right corner on the app) and choose "This is my post and I'd like it deleted." The mods will remove it once they check in.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I certainly don't think you're an idiot. Most of us aren't given very comprehensive nutritional education and it's quite common for people to come here and not know much about various macronutrients. I didn't understand it very well myself until the last few years.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    quafferj wrote: »
    Carcomymrates are like spaghetti, breads, paper towels...

Yea i just cant kick the paper towel habit

You should meet my puppy...paper towels and toilet paper ARE a food group for him, i swear

My cat is obsessed with ponytail holders and shoelaces among other things. MUST be kept away from him.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Very little of this thread has anything to do with your OP...people are arguing among each other about other things and the thread has been derailed. Don't feel as though it has anything to do with you or even your original question.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Carbs, non essential macro nutrient aka sugar, glucose, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen... the trigger for insulin (fat storage hormone) also known for lowering cortisol (stress) and raising leptin ( tells brain your full and to burn fat)

Low carb is messed up unless you go keto (high fat) with it, cause Itll make you cranky and argumentive

This is technically incorrect. If your body produces no insulin, as in type 1 diabetes, you will lose weight no matter how many calories you consume.

Which is the exact opposite of what I was saying and I was referring to someone with no medical condition....

Insulin is required for everyone, medical condition or not, and it does effect the way the body handles and stores calories. I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

Links to said studies...

Without insulin you wouldn't be able to store fat. It's a pretty basic understanding of how the human body works...

You said multiple studies show the same exact calories don't by result in weight losss and I asked you to link to said studies.

But back to what I was saying. Without insulin you aren't able to put on fat. In response to you saying "Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin". Without insulin, there is no fat storage.

I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

That's what I said? Looks like you missed the mark again.
  • ndj1979

Links to said studies...

maybe you should try not to jump in the middle of conversations that are not directed at you ...I think you are confused..
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

Links to said studies...

maybe you should try not to jump in the middle of conversations that are not directed at you ...I think you are confused..

Haha now I'll use your phrase "now you're moving the goal posts" haha
  • ndj1979

Links to said studies...

Haha now I'll use your phrase "now you're moving the goal posts" haha

nope not at all ...I was replying to the original poster in this thread. .you jumped in and acted like I was talking to you, which I was not...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

No, I think you may be using inaccurate database entries and want to take a look at your diary to see if I can help you out.

Many, many entries, even ones with green checks, were inputted by users and are inaccurate. They may be giving you wrong macro counts.

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings we can help you sort this out. It's easy for me to spot system entries that came from the USDA database vs user-created entries.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Hi emmaellery1989,

I dont think you are an idiot at all! It sounds like you were given vague instructions to cut out 'high carb' foods like bread and starch. You did so, but according to your diary or your nutritionist you are still eating (too many?) carbs.

I think that raises a couple questions. First, how low are the settings for carbs in your diary? If your nutritionist is suggesting a "keto" diet, that is a tiny amount of carbs and things like fruit, dairy and even a carrot can put it over. Many people have had success on keto diets, but you have to know what you're getting into and decide whether it is for you and what your goals are. Secondly, if there is a medical reason (eg diabetes or prediabetes) then you also might have specifically low recommendations.

Otherwise, its possible that you are just eating a lot of fruit, veggies, dairy and any other added sugars?

I guess the question is --is it really too many carbs? Is there a specific set of macros (proprotions?) that you are going for and why? iF there is and you open your diary, we can help pinpoint the issue. But I guess I'd like to know why your nutritionist thinks you are 'living off carbs' given what you've told us of your diet. I eat veggies and dairy daily , fruit most days, put a little agave in my coffee and usually one starchy thing a day and I am often under my carb target (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat, baseline of 1260 cal before exercise).
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ok sorry everyone let me explain myself a bit better. I wrote this in a hurry!

Just to make you all aware the title was meant to be ironic. I apologise!

My original discussion with my nutritionist was that a low carb diet was generally avoiding things like white bread and potatoes. (This is a very very vague explanation as we went through many different things!)

But then when I got on here everything I logged was coming up as carbs. So when we looked at my results at the end of each day my diet said I lived on carbs!!

I haven't seen her since then because I'm waiting for an appointment. And before you all attack her she has been brilliant and helped me a lot. I just can't get enough appointments so have to work it out myself a bit in between.

Does this make more sense to anyone?

(Basically I'm avoiding what I've been told to avoid, but my stats are saying I'm living on carbs.)

To the bolded, most foods will have at least some carbs in them (as has been explained well already), but if everything you're logging is coming up as only containing carbs and no fat or protein, then I'd check the entries you're using and be sure the macros on them are correct. There are a ton of erroneous entries in the database and I suppose it's possible you're finding all of them when you log. Opening your diary so that we can see it might help if you want some extra eyeballs helping you check for inaccurate entries.

@emmaellery1989 please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Considering that you've sort of become a little scrap of talking point that the carb and no-carb people are fighting over, I'd hold off on going public with your diary, @emmaellery1989. That's just MHO.

Pretending like people would be rude about OP's diary is uncalled for and unhelpful.

The squabbling in the thread isn't really about OP at all, but because some people gave inaccurate information which others rebutted.

I don't particularly think OP needs to share her diary, but it would help clarify whether she is choosing inaccurate entries, has a confused idea of how many carbs come from just vegetables (if she was expecting very low carb numbers and sees 30% carbs as, say, high, that could explain the issue), or is not choosing enough foods to meet her fat and protein goals. But as I said before, I'd ask for an explanation from the nutritionist or, ideally, spend time talking through her diet issues with an RD.

You were just rude to me by suggesting my opinion is somehoe pretense. That only compnvinces me further that the atmosphere here is not conducive to OP opening her diary up for scrutiny.

Please copy and paste a thread here to show us when an op was asked to open her diary for helpful suggestion and in turn was treated with disrespect.

I did not say anybody would be rude or disrespectful. It's not my fear.

Then what is your concern?

giphy.gif