Today I Learned...

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    TIL There is nothing written by pirates themselves, with the exception of educated people who 'went pirate' and probably didn't exhibit pirate speech patterns.

Arrrrr
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL that clowns copyright their makeup by painting their faces on eggs. There is a clown egg registry in London.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/clown-egg-register

o6mlxtlcr59y.png

My aunt has a registered face. She used to clown around
  • cee134
    TIL that Aeschylus, one of three great Athenian tragedians, was killed by a tortoise dropped by an eagle that mistook his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering a reptile shell. Pliny adds that Aeschylus had been staying outdoors to avert a prophecy that he'd be killed by a falling object.
  • cee134
    TIL there is a prequel to "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" known as "Halloween is Grinch Night", which won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program in 1977.

bg6u35xftx6h.jpg
  • cee134
    TIL The song "Mr. Blue Sky" by the Electric Light Orchestra was found to be the happiest song ever using a formula made by studying songs from a period of 50 years.
  • QueenZeeIsm
    QueenZeeIsm Posts: 104 Member
    That kids can be *kitten*
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    TIL there is a prequel to "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" known as "Halloween is Grinch Night", which won the Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program in 1977.

bg6u35xftx6h.jpg

TIL that the Grinch is not exclusive to Christmas!!
    BTW you might want start being on the lookout for "The Great Pumpkin" 😁
  • cee134
    TIL when Uranus was discovered it was called George for about 70 years.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    TIL - My customer service voice is on point!
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    TIL that pics of girls eating a danish is so HOT!
  • cee134
    edited September 2019
    Dakase83 wrote: »

Let's hear?
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member

Let's hear?

IDK how to do all that voice stuff on here
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member

Let's hear?

IDK how to do all that voice stuff on here

That's easy give them your work number and you answer the phone! LOL
  • cee134
    TIL that drinking OJ after brushing your teeth tastes bad because of a foaming ingredient in toothpaste which blocks your ability to taste sweetness, and you're left with the pure acidity and bitterness of the fruit.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    TIL that drinking OJ after brushing your teeth tastes bad because of a foaming ingredient in toothpaste which blocks your ability to taste sweetness, and you're left with the pure acidity and bitterness of the fruit.

Am scratching my head on this one. Eating fruit bowl that was part of my breakfast after brushing teeth, all the pieces were appropriately sweet...except the blueberries. ?????

TIL (recently, actually) what a "stone" equals in pounds (14). I've lost a little more than two of them. 😊
  • cee134
    TIL Jules Verne's wrote a novel in 1863 which predicted gas-powered cars, fax machines, wind power, missiles, electric street lighting, maglev trains, the record industry, the internet, and feminism. It was lost for over 100 years after his publisher deemed it too unbelievable to publish.
  • cee134
    TIL when Stephen King was run over by a car in 1999 the driver apologized and said he'd never even gotten a parking ticket before. King, lying injured, replied: 'well, I've never been hit by a car before'.
  • cee134
    TIL that the final science exam for 8th grade students in Ketchikan, Alaska is a 2 night survival trip on an uninhabited island.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    TIL that the final science exam for 8th grade students in Ketchikan, Alaska is a 2 night survival trip on an uninhabited island.

Kinda jealous
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    We shed an estimated 600,000 particles of skin an hour 🤮