Plateau for 2 weeks now :/

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Your body is accustomed to your current workout now is the likely answer. Not to mention, you're likely eating too little. If you're working out 2-3 hours a day and burning say 600 calories (that's a conservative number) with your calorie intake being 1350, then your NET intake is 750 calories that your body is trying live off of. Pair that with exercise that DOESN'T encourage a metabolic raise, your body accustomed itself to calories available and lowered metabolic rate to compensate for low calories.
    I see this happen all the time because people think that eating low calories and working out for 2-3 hours is what's needed to do for weight loss. And that's just not the case.
    NET shouldn't go below 1200. IMO, based on your weight, it shouldn't go below 1600.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hihi, I posted a very similar concern when I first joined these forums and felt super anxious and discouraged too, so I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't have any explanation for you but just wanted to say that from 12th to 23rd July, aside from random fluctuations from day to day (max 0.4kg difference from 58.6kg), my weight stayed pretty constant at 58.6kg even though I was keeping to my calories and exercising. Yesterday (24th July) when I weighed myself in the morning, it was 58.0kg and this morning I was 57.8kg. I suspect it's water weight but at the end of the day, I don't know why things happen as they do. And honestly, after extensive browsing through these forums for the past week, I don't think I ever will know, but I've learnt that patience is key.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maybe you're building muscle mass? Miscle weighs more than fat. So maybe the scale isn't budging but progress is STILL being made! Just keep it up and never give up! You'll see your results!

did you not read all the other responses refuting this - she is NOT building muscle in 2 weeks while eating at a deficit, using the stair master and lifting light weights.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mbarilli06 wrote: »
    You're telling me that she is gaining zero muscle mass working out three hours a day? Her performance hasn't improved with that level of exercise?

3 hours of cardio. Nope, not going to build appreciable muscle mass on that.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    bruby28 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that with the level of exercise you are doing, you will be building muscle mass and losing fat. That may mean that your weight doesn't change but your measurements will be. Try and take measurements of your waist, legs arms etc so that you can see how your body is changing. Weight loss isn't the only measurement of success! Keep at it!

She isn't building muscle on 1350 gross calories

That's what I was wondering , I didn't think I could gain muscle by doing low weight and high reps ..more of toning I thought since I see definition more than anything . Also doing a lot of cardio I didn't think I could build muscle , just tighten them up /tone .

you don't tighten/"tone" muscles....you build them...as someone else asked, have you thought of lifting heavy instead of light?

Especially since most definitions of "high rep/light weight" are effectively zero impact upper body cardio.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that with the level of exercise you are doing, you will be building muscle mass and losing fat. That may mean that your weight doesn't change but your measurements will be. Try and take measurements of your waist, legs arms etc so that you can see how your body is changing. Weight loss isn't the only measurement of success! Keep at it!

She isn't building muscle on 1350 gross calories

That's what I was wondering , I didn't think I could gain muscle by doing low weight and high reps ..more of toning I thought since I see definition more than anything . Also doing a lot of cardio I didn't think I could build muscle , just tighten them up /tone .

you don't tighten/"tone" muscles....you build them...as someone else asked, have you thought of lifting heavy instead of light?

If I lift heavy , can I still get lean ? Wasn't sure what's good to do ..loose excess weight first then lift heavy to build ? I've heard others say for weight loss loft weights almost like cardio high reps low to medium weight ..1 min rest in between

YES