30 Days No Junk No Soda !!

1235»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    HarryPro wrote: »
    I am starting to suspect this is a support group for people who like bullshitting each other. Enjoy you diet Whoppers folks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@HarryPro When I first started participating in these forums I viewed a lot of posters the same way you do. However, if you stick around you will see that their beliefs are actually a lot more nuanced than what appears at first glance.

It's easy to get the perception that a lot of people are saying, "Fast food is great!" "Junk food is great!" but I eventually came to the conclusion that what the majority actually believe is what winogelato said:
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So much negative, nothing wrong with going junk and sugar free for 30 days. and after that definately moderation

These conversations often get derailed, and this one is no exception. I don't think anyone disputes that looking at overall diet and making smart choices with regards to either limiting, or excluding foods that someone has difficulty moderating, in order to be able to adhere to their deficit and achieve nutritional goals is important. What some people are trying to point out is that it is possible to include these type of foods, in an otherwise healthy and balanced diet, if one chooses. For many, many people - giving up foods they love forever, or even for an extended period of time - is not something sustainable. And in my opinion, there's no real reason to do an arbitrary "challenge" that you don't intend to adhere to permanently. Why not just start working on finding the way of eating that you intend to follow all the way through into maintenance?

And again, a consideration for "trigger foods" should be made, if someone has difficulty in moderating foods, then tighter controls may be necessary until the point when a person is able to moderate them, if they choose to work on moderation (not everyone wants to reintroduce the foods they have cut out).

But overall, there are many misconceptions about foods prevalent in the world today - calling foods "poison" really isn't a helpful perspective for many who are confused and may be struggling to find an approach that works for them. Telling someone that they HAVE to cut out sugar, or carbs, or "white foods" or any of the many woo based theories that are floated here regularly, isn't helpful, because it isn't true. So that is why people jump in, to dispute the woo and pseudoscience, not because they want to discourage the OP.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    I didn't see OP stating that everyone needed to do what she is doing, yet right away out come all the familiar faces spouting their same recycled lines questioning her decision. She seems to be doing this of her own free will, and if it makes her feel better to change her diet up for 30 days then why does everyone care so much? Can you eat nothing but ice cream and cookies and lose weight? If you are at a caloric deficit then of course you can, however some people may find it easier to stay in a deficit, or prevent overeating by cutting back on some of those foods.

It just boils down to doing whatever works for you, and makes you feel better. If you can have your cake and eat it too then I think that is awesome, and more power to you. When I am cutting, I generally cut some of the sweet stuff out because I find that makes it easier for me to stay in a deficit and stay satiated. I am still perfectly content eating that way. People seem to get into an uproar when someone else talks about cutting out, or cutting back on sugar but I just don't get what the big deal is.

Because of all the reasons I mentioned above... but also... losing weight is hard. And for many of us, it is a marathon, not a sprint. Why make it harder than it needs to be, by arbitrarily cutting out completely (not cutting back but completely excluding) foods that you enjoy, if it is not necessary? Like I mentioned, there is such a prevalence of misinformation floating around, people get confused, and dispelling that bad information and focusing on what is necessary (truly, just a calorie deficit for weight loss; with overall nutrition being very important as well) is why people respond in these sorts of posts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I decided to make some diet changes I swore off Soda, Candy, and Fast Food.

Eh, depending on how one defines fast food (does Pret count? it's pretty darn fast?) and ignoring my occasional LaCroix (isn't that soda?) and diet Coke/ginger ale, I never really ate this stuff even before MFP. Not because it's "poison" (I don't think it is, and generalizing about fast food and all candy -- even the homemade stuff? -- is hard to do), but because my indulgences are different ones.

So cutting it out wouldn't be worthwhile for me (as I don't eat it).

It seems a strange thing to fixate on given how much else goes into having a good diet. If those things were foods I enjoyed, I'd be more proud of myself for eating an overall nutritious diet with sensible calories and lots of vegetables, personally, than whether or not I totally eliminated something I liked.

But whatever.

(I do think OP trying a 30 day change if she thinks foods are too significant part of her diet is reasonable, just not that well defined for others joining in if that's what she wants. I cut out added sugar for 30 days as an experiment and then added it back in moderation. For some of us limited term challenges can be helpful. But I HATE the idea that not eating specific demonized foods is what nutrition is all about, whereas if you eat the nutrient-dense foods in the variety needed to get in everything on limited calories, you won't be eating so called "junk" in excess anyway.)

Fair enough but I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who believed eating candy fastfood and soda every day was wise. In fact, I suspect a doctor looking at a habitual diet of these things would suggest that it would harm your quality of life over time ... yaknow, like poison ;)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Dr with more than a limited knowledge of anything nutrition related.

To be honest a registered dietitian (who does have extensive knowledge of nutrition) would have issues with eating candy, fast food and drinking regular soda on a daily basis for thexample vast majority of the population.

I would hope that someone who was educated in nutrition would have a more nuanced view than "It's poison." If an RD couldn't or wouldn't acknowledge the difference between foods that may keep you from meeting your nutritional and calorie goals and poison, I'd seek another RD.

My comment didn't call anythin poison. I would not expect a Registered Dietitian to call any untainted food poison.

No, but if you review the conversation that you were responding to, some foods were specifically called poison. I understand that may not be your position, but it's the position being argued by @HarryPro
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I've been on mfp 5 years and I have yet to see anyone qualify what a toxin actually is. The closest I can get in my own head is oxidative stress

Hence the green tea extract.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    A challenge like this can be a good way of breaking habits like always having dessert or drinking a lot of soda. After you are done, you may find you have really decreased your need for sugar. Good luck. After the first week it gets much easier.

Actually, a cold turkey challenge like this is more likely to result in failure after a few days than to result in lasting habits.
    For lasting habits, baby steps towards learning to eat an appropriate amount of calories and sufficient micro/macronutrients while slowly increasing activity level will be much more effective for most people.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    I didn't see OP stating that everyone needed to do what she is doing, yet right away out come all the familiar faces spouting their same recycled lines questioning her decision. She seems to be doing this of her own free will, and if it makes her feel better to change her diet up for 30 days then why does everyone care so much? Can you eat nothing but ice cream and cookies and lose weight? If you are at a caloric deficit then of course you can, however some people may find it easier to stay in a deficit, or prevent overeating by cutting back on some of those foods.

It just boils down to doing whatever works for you, and makes you feel better. If you can have your cake and eat it too then I think that is awesome, and more power to you. When I am cutting, I generally cut some of the sweet stuff out because I find that makes it easier for me to stay in a deficit and stay satiated. I am still perfectly content eating that way. People seem to get into an uproar when someone else talks about cutting out, or cutting back on sugar but I just don't get what the big deal is.

Because of all the reasons I mentioned above... but also... losing weight is hard. And for many of us, it is a marathon, not a sprint. Why make it harder than it needs to be, by arbitrarily cutting out completely (not cutting back but completely excluding) foods that you enjoy, if it is not necessary? Like I mentioned, there is such a prevalence of misinformation floating around, people get confused, and dispelling that bad information and focusing on what is necessary (truly, just a calorie deficit for weight loss; with overall nutrition being very important as well) is why people respond in these sorts of posts.

I agree with you about there being a prevalence of misinformation for sure. I hate all the sugar and carbs are evil posts as much as anyone and in a post like that then people do need to be set straight. This post is a bit different though because OP is not swearing away sugar forever, its simply a 30 day break. It sounds like she has done this before and had good results with it which is all that matters. Like you said, weight loss is hard, and you have to do what works for you. Every so often I take a break from alcohol and it just makes me enjoy a nice cold beer even more once that break is over. I can't really give you a good reason why I take that break, but it is empowering and it is just good sometimes to know that I am in control and the food/drink is not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When I decided to make some diet changes I swore off Soda, Candy, and Fast Food.

Eh, depending on how one defines fast food (does Pret count? it's pretty darn fast?) and ignoring my occasional LaCroix (isn't that soda?) and diet Coke/ginger ale, I never really ate this stuff even before MFP. Not because it's "poison" (I don't think it is, and generalizing about fast food and all candy -- even the homemade stuff? -- is hard to do), but because my indulgences are different ones.

So cutting it out wouldn't be worthwhile for me (as I don't eat it).

It seems a strange thing to fixate on given how much else goes into having a good diet. If those things were foods I enjoyed, I'd be more proud of myself for eating an overall nutritious diet with sensible calories and lots of vegetables, personally, than whether or not I totally eliminated something I liked.

But whatever.

(I do think OP trying a 30 day change if she thinks foods are too significant part of her diet is reasonable, just not that well defined for others joining in if that's what she wants. I cut out added sugar for 30 days as an experiment and then added it back in moderation. For some of us limited term challenges can be helpful. But I HATE the idea that not eating specific demonized foods is what nutrition is all about, whereas if you eat the nutrient-dense foods in the variety needed to get in everything on limited calories, you won't be eating so called "junk" in excess anyway.)

Fair enough but I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor who believed eating candy fastfood and soda every day was wise. In fact, I suspect a doctor looking at a habitual diet of these things would suggest that it would harm your quality of life over time ... yaknow, like poison ;)

It depends on how much.

But also the alternative to "never" is not "every day." I like some more indulgent foods -- ice cream, cheese, naan and curry, bratwurst, for a few examples. I DO have a little cheese most days. I DON'T have 500 calories of it generally (on a rare occasion, maybe, although I can't think of any since I started watching my diet). At one point I did have 200 calories of ice cream several times a week. In that my diet at the time was extremely healthy (lean meat, lots of vegetables, healthy fats) and had few other indulgences, I don't think that was a big deal or bad. On occasion I have an evening out at an Indian restaurant -- I either use that as a meal after a big workout day or just a rare thing I prepare for by having a light day the day before or lower cals the rest of the day (and a bit of extra protein, since Indian food has plenty of vegetables but tends to be carb and fat heavy). On national holidays involving cookouts I might have a brat AND ice cream, but that's a rare occasion.

See how that works?

Whether my diet is healthy is not about avoiding indulgences -- it has MUCH MORE to do with eating enough protein, healthy fats, vegetables, some fruit, being satisfied, etc. And, of course, not overeating.

So if I had a soda or candy daily, in reasonable amounts, and occasionally had fast food (even in the US it's EXTREMELY rare to have it daily, from the stats I've seen), I don't think a doctor would care. Now, if one NEVER ate those things and also never ate vegetables (or very few), I think most doctors would care, and think that was bad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So much negative, nothing wrong with going junk and sugar free for 30 days. and after that definately moderation

No nothing wrong dropping "junk" (however one defines it, as I asked about). I don't think OP mentioned sugar free -- that would be something quite different. If you notice above, I specifically said that I thought 30 day things like this can be helpful and have done them (I dropped added sugar, among other things at various times). 30 days without added sugar wasn't life changing or even as hard as I might have expected (or as some seem to think), but it was somewhat interesting/educational.

Others (not OP) seem to have trouble understanding that the alternative to "never eating specific foods" (foods that I think it's funny to make a big thing out of dropping, since I never really eat them) is eating them in enormous amounts daily, and that's absurd.

My argument, and why I jumped in, is that too often people think eating healthfully is about not eating specific things EVER (when really they are fine in reasonable portions or occasionally) and that distracts from what it's really about, which is not overeating and eating enough nutrient-dense foods to meet your needs. My view is that if you eat a diet that is calorie and nutrient appropriate, eating excessive soda or candy isn't an issue, as you wouldn't have room. (Fast food, well, it depends on what you choose and what else you get in your day, but I don't think anyone is pushing it as a daily choice. That said, a daily fast food chili -- what's wrong with that?)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    A challenge like this can be a good way of breaking habits like always having dessert or drinking a lot of soda. After you are done, you may find you have really decreased your need for sugar. Good luck. After the first week it gets much easier.

i have dessert almost every night and I have no issues...

dessert does not equal bad...

I'm not saying it is bad. I eat dessert frequently. However when I eat too frequently, unless I'm getting a lot of exercise, I always gain weight. One of the ways I keep my weight steady is to control how much sugar I eat.