Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Curing severe acid reflux with diet

1235»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    and that just shows how individual it all is.
    when my stomach is at it's worst, hot drinks and soups are the only thing that soothes it and cold feels like i'm being stabbed

yeah for me it sucks and I used to love hot coffee even thought I was new to drinking it. that was the only new thing I had added too. now any kind of premade cold coffee and I have no issues. I even tried different coffees to see if it was that. nope just hot coffee,hot cocoa and things like that. I can have soup that doesnt seem to aggravate it but for me its mostly chicken noodle or something like that.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    GERD can be triggered by different things in different people. My suggestion to you would be to take a look at what you regularly eat over the course of a week or two, and based on that, try an elimination diet. By that, I mean take a look at the items you eat the most frequently, and then remove them one at a time.

For example, let's say the top three foods you find that you eat a lot of are dairy products, eggs, and citrus fruits. Week one, eliminate dairy, and take note daily of how you feel daily. If there's no improvement, then in week two, put dairy back in and eliminate eggs. Again, note how you feel. If no improvement that week, then for week three put eggs back in and remove the citrus.

Doing this may take awhile, and you may find more than one food that triggers your symptoms, but in dealing with them one at a time, there is less confusion as to which food is the culprit when you have problems.

• brneydgrlie
    Another thing you may want to try is taking collagen peptides daily. Collagen is good for the entire body - tissue, bones, and joints. It is also supposed to help heal the gut and aid in digestion. I dissolve a scoop of collagen peptides into a cup of broth or tea every day, and have found it to be helpful. And it doesn't really taste like you've added anything to your drink.
  • brneydgrlie
    I realize this is an old thread, but what happened with this? Is the OP feeling better?
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    It really depends on the cause of the issue. Not all acid reflux is alike. You can try different things to see what works for you, but realize that it is possible that you cannot fix this through dietary changes.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    My reflux is not caused by diet. It's caused by severe gastroparesis and occurs no matter what I eat or in my case how little I eat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    GERD can be triggered by different things in different people. My suggestion to you would be to take a look at what you regularly eat over the course of a week or two, and based on that, try an elimination diet. By that, I mean take a look at the items you eat the most frequently, and then remove them one at a time.

For example, let's say the top three foods you find that you eat a lot of are dairy products, eggs, and citrus fruits. Week one, eliminate dairy, and take note daily of how you feel daily. If there's no improvement, then in week two, put dairy back in and eliminate eggs. Again, note how you feel. If no improvement that week, then for week three put eggs back in and remove the citrus.

Doing this may take awhile, and you may find more than one food that triggers your symptoms, but in dealing with them one at a time, there is less confusion as to which food is the culprit when you have problems.

mine is because I produce too much acid so change in diet and eliminating things doesnt do squat(for me). if someone has GERD they need to see a dr to see what the cause is. for some its too much acid,for others its too little acid. for others it could be more severe than those things.cancer could be one cause,a stomach sphincter can malfunction and cause it and for those people sometimes surgery can fix it. so its not always food that causes it and the root cause needs to be investigated . barretts esophagus can also happen with GERD and for that meds are usually prescribed.
  • brneydgrlie

mine is because I produce too much acid so change in diet and eliminating things doesnt do squat(for me). if someone has GERD they need to see a dr to see what the cause is. for some its too much acid,for others its too little acid. for others it could be more severe than those things.cancer could be one cause,a stomach sphincter can malfunction and cause it and for those people sometimes surgery can fix it. so its not always food that causes it and the root cause needs to be investigated . barretts esophagus can also happen with GERD and for that meds are usually prescribed.

The OP is already under the care of a doctor. While I agree that many root causes of GERD require medication or even surgical intervention, if things such as cancer have been ruled out, a patient has every right to decide to pursue a less drastic solution first. As long as their doctor is aware of that, then it's ultimately the patient's decision.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

The OP is already under the care of a doctor. While I agree that many root causes of GERD require medication or even surgical intervention, if things such as cancer have been ruled out, a patient has every right to decide to pursue a less drastic solution first. As long as their doctor is aware of that, then it's ultimately the patient's decision.

never said they shouldnt try a diet. but being under the care of a dr depends on the type of dr. and gastroenterologist would be best as they deal with things of that nature.Im under the care of one and had NO idea until I had a scope done why I was having such awful GERD,my family dr couldnt figure it out which is why she sent me to my gastro dr.what I did say is they need to rule out why they are having the acid in the first place. saves a lot of time and angst that way.
  • dawn_m_hanford
    dawn_m_hanford Posts: 12 Member
    You need to heal the ulcer first. Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about foods that heal like those with flavonoids Honey helps heal ulcers as well as Cranberry supplements which make it hard for H. pylori bacteria to grow. Flaxseed and various berries are good too.

After ulcer is healed, check out HCl Betaine supplement with pre and probiotic supplement that has digestive enzymes. Let me know if you need help choosing!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Dietary changes can help minimize symptoms of GERD but they may not cure it. If you have ulcers, the standard of care is a PPI. I would trust your doctor and get a GI referral.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    You need to heal the ulcer first. Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about foods that heal like those with flavonoids Honey helps heal ulcers as well as Cranberry supplements which make it hard for H. pylori bacteria to grow. Flaxseed and various berries are good too.

After ulcer is healed, check out HCl Betaine supplement with pre and probiotic supplement that has digestive enzymes. Let me know if you need help choosing!

HCL betaine is for those who dont make enough acid,I tried it years ago thinking it would help me,it made things worse because I already produce too much. the thing with H pylori is once you get it,it can come back and it will show up on tests as active even when its not. stool tests are needed after that.

I would see a dr because if someone has a lot of acid production those foods or supplements may not heal the ulcer and need meds to keep acid production down as well as a med for ulcers .which is why I say its best to see a gastroenteroligist and see if you produce too much or too little acid,and go from there. with GERD you dont want to fool around with it. I would LOVE to be ale to get off all antacids,PPIs and H2 blockers but even with a change in diet its bad even with meds. surgery for me wont help either as I dont have a stomach valve issue