Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Aspartame

Options
13»

Replies

• czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Aspartame gives me headaches. I don't feel well after consuming more than a little bit. That's enough for me.

Same, I had some sugar free squash and it had artificial sweetners in it (I can't remember if it was aspartame in particular) but every time I drank it, it gave me a headache. I find squash with sweetners have weird, almost powdery aftertastes to them which I don't like.
    But I don't think they're poison. The amount of methanol produced from the breakdown of aspartame is miniscule.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    Aspartame gives me headaches. I don't feel well after consuming more than a little bit. That's enough for me.

Same, I had some sugar free squash and it had artificial sweetners in it (I can't remember if it was aspartame in particular) but every time I drank it, it gave me a headache. I find squash with sweetners have weird, almost powdery aftertastes to them which I don't like.
    But I don't think they're poison. The amount of methanol produced from the breakdown of aspartame is miniscule.

your body will produce more methane/formaldehyde breaking down the fruit that you eat than from breaking down the aspartame in a diet soft drink.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Is aspartame even in use anymore? I haven't seen it in years. Sucralose (Splenda) is the new thing for all artificially pre-prepared food and beverage. I think you can buy packets of aspartame (Equal). Other than that, I think it's totally passé.

Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet Mt Dew, Diet Dr Pepper, Coke Zero, Pepsi Zero Sugar and a whole host of other "diet" products still use aspartame.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    czmiles926 wrote: »

your body will produce more methane/formaldehyde breaking down the fruit that you eat than from breaking down the aspartame in a diet soft drink.

Methanol H3COH, methane CH3 and formaldehyde CH2O are all different compounds. The breakdown of aspartame produces aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol. Because aspartame is used so sparingly, a can of diet coke contains 180 mg, you'd have to drink a ridiculous amount of diet coke in a short time for it to have any impact.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but it mixes wonderfully with my rum.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Is aspartame even in use anymore? I haven't seen it in years. Sucralose (Splenda) is the new thing for all artificially pre-prepared food and beverage. I think you can buy packets of aspartame (Equal). Other than that, I think it's totally passé.

Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet Mt Dew, Diet Dr Pepper, Coke Zero, Pepsi Zero Sugar and a whole host of other "diet" products still use aspartame.

Diet Pepsi HAD switched to sucralose but sales tanked (my mom switched from Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi to Diet Caffeine Free Coke because she hated the taste). They're in the midst of bringing back the aspartame.

And Sparkling Ice water uses aspartame, too.
  • Scmclaughlin711
    Scmclaughlin711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Kombucha as a substitute for soda. Healthy, probiotic, natural sugar, fizz, great for digestive issues. Slightly alcoholic, very slightly!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nope, unless it makes you personally feel unpleasant (headaches, stomachaches, and such) it's perfectly fine.