Pissing me off

124»

Replies

• MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2017
    OP: everyone's body and loss rate is different. Hell, even for one individual person, weight loss doesn't show the same from week to week or month to month. Some of us will lose easily, some will struggle, MOST who lose weight will experience both of these things at different times.

Also, you never know what struggles she might face that you don't. Some examples: maybe you're losing slower but you will end up with less stretch marks. Maybe you'll look fitter when you hit your goal weight. Maybe your slow-but-steady progress will turn out to be more sustainable. Maybe she will plateau quick and you'll keep plugging along. You never know, so don't look at just one aspect of the situation and despair.

One last piece of advice: try to reframe your thinking. Instead of feeling jealous or cheated that your girlfriend is losing quicker than you... be happy for her! If you love someone, you want them to be healthy, right? Keep it in perspective and don't be petty. Remember that this person is important to you.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    ...accurate calorie counting is what's needed for weight loss. That's it.

I'm curious how you reconcile this statement with the hard time you are giving ljsantos2005 for saying pretty much the same thing? Either calorie counting is the key to success and ljsantos2005 is betting on the right horse by supposing that the person counting calories will have the long term success of the two in the relationship OR it is not true that "...accurate calorie counting is what's needed for weight loss. That's it."

No one has to calorie count to lose weight but if you choose to do it as accurately as possible
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You'll make it in the long run, she won't.

who says?

I said it. Why?

Because there's no reason behind it. Why should she succeed but her friend fail? :

Because to do anything meaningful or important requires effort and consistency. Thus is life.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on OP. The odds are against her friend.

You really can't ever compare your level of effort, which you see from the inside, to someone else's, which you're only seeing from the outside and in little snippets. We never actually know what someone else is doing or how their current activities compare to their past habits. The other person may be working very hard in ways that aren't obvious to the OP, or her past habits may have been so bad that any change is having a significant impact. It's also true that we can lose weight just by creating a calorie deficit, so it doesn't matter whether the other person is eating junk or not. Spending too much time focusing on what other people are doing just takes your focus away from yourself and your own path.

Someone that has goals and a plan are vastly more likely to succeed than someone that doesn't. There's nothing to argue here.

Well op friend might surprise you if she likes the successes she had bern having and carries on. Whilst op might be restricting himself toi much and give up. Who knows
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You'll make it in the long run, she won't.

Going by the Op's post I wouldn't bet on it.

How do you figure that?

When someone is questioning if it's even worth continuing doing what they're doing, based off of what someone else is doing, that shows where their head is at. The op has given control of the situation to someone else, which means she's set herself up for failure. When one is so easily influenced by others it shows a lack of commitment to ones self, which is crucial for long term success.

Sounds like you're quick to judge and that you're not interested in giving advice to someone that's looking for help.

Ironic post here.

The OP is too fixated on others, is putting too much emphasis on "eating clean" (which has no direct bearing on weight loss" and is likely lacking perspective in understanding that different people lose weight at different rates based on their starting points.

These are all hallmarks of an unsustainable approach to the long term requirements of weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight.

Just to be clear, my advice OP is, "you do you" and "find an approach that is sustainable for the long term".

Please explain the irony. I'm a little slow.

The irony is you accused someone of being judgemental when you judged the OP's girlfriend knowing nothing about her

I did no such thing. I only used the information that was given by the OP.

Yes you certainly did. We have one side of the story. Then you judged the girlfriend would fail.

I was judging the outcome, not the person. There's a difference.

And yet you have zero idea of the outcome as you have zero idea about the girl. You judged her based on the rant of someone who claims to love her
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    skeeewur wrote: »
    Weigh yourself when you are alone and don't make a big deal about it. Problem solved.

Or if she is really your friend, tell her you'd rather not be comparing weights as its a sore spot for you. And if she really is your friend, be happy that she is having some seemingly easy success.
    Weigh yourself when you are alone and don't make a big deal about it. Problem solved.

Or if she is really your friend, tell her you'd rather not be comparing weights as its a sore spot for you. And if she really is your friend, be happy that she is having some seemingly easy success.

I'm just wondering why because I am a girl and said my girlfriend you automatically assumed I meant she's a friend... it's 2017 if I say girlfriend then she's a girlfriend

Plenty of women talk about their girlfriends meaning their friends who are women. And I had no way of knowing which you meant, and it doesn't really matter what the extent of your relationship is. Whether you were talking about a friend or partner, my comment stands. Best of luck

Right? next time tell us you're sleeping with her.

Yes, I'm quoting myself.

This is going to be my standard reply from now on when an OP comes back and tells us some huge important fact that is related to the OP (and would have changed 80% of the replies) but that they don't tell us until six pages later.

And after the reveal, there are posters who will quote someone from page 2 and blast the advice because OMG they're giving BAD advice based on the OP's situation. <smh>
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    It sounds like you are both losing weight, so you're issue here is perceived effort. No one looses weight the same. We are all on our own journey. Just keep going and if she truly isn't trying, her loss will wane.

Side note, I've had a mini goal to weigh less than my husband for over a month. Every time I weigh in and think i beat him, he steps on the scale and he lost too!! I have 4 pounds to go to beat him still! But I don't mind because we are both losing and getting healthier and that's what matters!