How do you not get upset?

13»

Replies

• 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    it is SO FRUSTRATING to see a gain of a pound (or more) when you feel like you are working so hard and doing so well. hang in there! i have had so many ups and downs, but the overall trend is DOWN and I AM LOSING. i have lost 35 lbs. i still have a way to go, BUT i see the trend moving downward and that feels great! don't get lost in one weigh-in day. stay in there for the long haul! example photo is ONE MONTH for me.
    5312lkx2f8ev.png
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    this is a 3 month shot:
    hf98p5a0c4g5.png
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Because sometimes we may still have food in our system and not know. It has happened to me . Or it can be water weight
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    It's just water weight you're losing . It's like that in the beginning. Once you start losing fat the scale will be more steady trust me
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I think knowing that I didn't eat 7,000 calories above maintenance helps when I see the scale up two pounds. Just... having a better comprehension of the mechanics of weight-loss in general keeps me from getting overly upset. Annoyed, yes. Mildly upset? Sure, sometimes. But then I can tell myself that as much as it's frustrating, it's also not real.

(Now. If I'd just come back from vacation, where all my meals were in restaurants, I'd consider that I might actually have eaten over maintenance at that time. Without a scale, without any way to know how many 'portions' were on my plate, very possible. But if I look at my diary and know my logging was accurate, I was in a deficit, and the scale isn't showing it? I start thinking Time of Month, water retention, one of those things sent to try our patience... Big thing? It's not real and there's nothing to worry about.)
  • becca214ny
    becca214ny Posts: 19 Member
    I've been there where I'm in tears looking at the scale. It sucks when it goes up! There are so many factors that influence your weigh in. So I started doing measurements, too. Where I don't see results on the scale, I see them on the tape measure! It helps me to stay positive.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Libra or Happy scale.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I trusted the process. If I didn't eat 3500 calories more than my maintenance calories, I didn't gain a pound of fat.

The water weight gain was just my healthy body adjusting as it needed to, and it was always soon outpaced by fat loss if I was patient and persistent with a healthy routine.

• Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    What good does it do to get upset? It is frustrating, but it is what it is and getting upset won't change it.

Maybe you burn more calories by being upset?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    When the scale goes up a little when your doing so good and it should be going down? I know water retention and that but I still find it upsetting this morning seeing 1 pound on.

I look at the big picture ... the general trend.

• astleybridge63
    astleybridge63 Posts: 4 Member
    So many times I have given up because the scales went up a pound. Now, if I know I've done everything I should have and the scales go up it doesn't bother me, it will come off. Give the scales to someone to hide them from you. Ask them to give them back once a week.
    It's a long journey. Take a deep breath. By Christmas you will feel a whole lot better.
  • Rashawnab
    Rashawnab Posts: 24 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight naturally fluctuates. Mine fluctuated all through my weight loss. Here's a 3-month trend where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

nytvg0bgc975.jpg

I measure my daily success by how well I stick to my plan rather than what the scale says. Concentrate on the process and let the results take care of themselves when they get around to it. It's your trend over time that matters.

How do you read that?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Rashawnab wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight naturally fluctuates. Mine fluctuated all through my weight loss. Here's a 3-month trend where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

nytvg0bgc975.jpg

I measure my daily success by how well I stick to my plan rather than what the scale says. Concentrate on the process and let the results take care of themselves when they get around to it. It's your trend over time that matters.

How do you read that?
    Each dot is my weight for the day. The black dots are actual weights and the grey dots are days I missed but estimates based upon the surrounding days.

The red line gives my weight trend. Daily weight may spike due to sodium intake or any other variable but the trend takes longer to react to changes. The trend also makes it easier to see patterns such as TOM.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    How do I not get upset? I rarely weigh myself anymore. Sad but true. The scale messes with my head.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I simply got desensitized to the number on the scale from years of weighing myself almost daily. It helped that my main goal from losing weight was not the weight itself but my blood sugar numbers which was my main focus so I might have had a slight advantage in that regard.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    It's just water weight you're losing . It's like that in the beginning. Once you start losing fat the scale will be more steady trust me

Almost but not quite. What she's lost will be mostly water weight in the first week, but not completely. When you go into a deficit you start losing fat right away. The beginner whoosh is a combination of fat loss and water weight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Oh. I just get upset. I've thrown things. But, I have goals other than weight loss so that's helpful.

I also have a coach and a support group with his other clients that really helps. And my friends on here are honestly the best.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Sometimes I do get upset, tbh. But I keep going.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I weigh daily and use Libra. Today I was 138.8 . My goal is 125. My trend right now looks like rolling hills. But each sequential hill is lower than the previous, in line with my desired rate of weight loss, and I have a goal date of end of October, 2017 (taken with a grain of salt if I keep up my current deficit). So I think I'm doing something right.

Fluctuations happen. But with each one I look at my diary and see if its what I ate, how accurate I logged, TOM, or something to ignore.

Patience. Just keep going.