I Have Noticed Many People Returning, Having Regained Their Weight ...

18910111214»

Replies

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I lost 35 pounds in 2016 by weighing and logging my food carefully, and walking about 10,000 steps daily. I did not start drifting up until late 2017--my birthday is in December, so I took that month "off" meaning I ate whatever I wanted. And I love Christmas cookies and candy. And we went out to eat a LOT. It's hard to get back into the swing of disciplined eating! I have slowly regained 17 pounds total, so it could be worse...but it needs to get better. I have set a mini-goal for this month, which is a 7 pound loss. It happens one day at a time, one meal at a time. I can do it.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I got lazy (stopped walking, working out), went back to old habits (eating and otherwise), stopped logging food to name the top few.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Started MFP a couple years ago to lose weight, ended up losing too much and became underweight. I was obsessed with exercising and counting calories. I went off to college and measured most of what I ate. I was told some horrifying news about my heart that was caused by overexercising and my extreme diet, which scared me into binge eating. I would buy a jar of tahini or almond butter and wake up in the night hungry and eat the whole jar. I transferred to a college near my home, continued to eat a jar of peanut butter a day, and finally peaked past my ideal recovery weight. I still have an ED mindset, but my goal now is to stop binge eating and lose weight in a healthy way. “Healthy”. Because I’m doing fruitarian right now... hence the “”.
    So, that’s why I gained weight.
  • megnolia82
    megnolia82 Posts: 779 Member
    I went on a cruise a year ago. I had lost 30 pounds prior to it so I ate and drank without hesitation. When I got home I kept doing that for 12 months. I just fell so hard off the wagon and couldn’t get myself back into the good habits that I know work for me. I gained nearly 40 pounds in 2018. I never left mfp but I stopped tracking calories and it was a disaster.

I’m ready to stay on track this time. And o have to recognize that it’s going to be a lifelong thing.

Good luck to everyone who is climbing back on and to those of you here for the first time. We can do it!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I tried too many different "diets" that promised I didn't need to track calories. They weren't sustainable and I fell off the wagon. A cheat day turned into a cheat weekend, then after a cheat week I was like eff it. I'm back on track now.
  • MemFox
    MemFox Posts: 35 Member
    For me recently I quit my job in October. I dropped from a super active full time job (almost 20k steps at work everyday) , I never had to worry about what I ate cause I burnt so much off.
    I also work on our farm after hours to just being at home. Summer hit with a vengeance so I’m not outside as much, I’m eating normal meals (too busy to eat much and never snacked when I worked)
    I’m going to gym 1-3 times a week and now back to mfp to lose the 6 kgs I gained over the last 3 months.
    Other times I’ve re gained weight has been after having my two kids, or again when I’ve had a change of job.
    My weight fluctuates with these changes up to and around the 5/6kg mark. It’s at this point my clothes are tight and I’m feeling yuk in my skin. I’m only 5’3 so smal amounts of weight impactvke fast!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Depression, being bored and moving internationally are my problems. I'm only talking about 3-5kg or so, mind. Finding something that is fun to do when you're depressed isn't really easy, right? And if you move your whole life is turned upside down and you lose your routine: waiting for the furniture to arrive, turning the flat into something half livable without stuff standing about everywhere, new job with new working hours, new food to get used to and cook with, new snacks or snacks you've not had in years!
  • ep30241
    ep30241 Posts: 9 Member
    What has kept me from success: the fact that I've been "thin" before (in college, at 5'5" and 110lb) and I was still invisible.

This time, I'm doing it not because I think it will change my life but to prove to myself that I have the strength to achieve my goals.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    I was on MFP a few years ago and lost 10 pounds. I gained most of it back due to stress eating. I have an anxiety disorder and while it doesn't usually manifest in stress eating (in fact usually it is the opposite where I feel nauseous constantly if I'm really stressed out), that time it did for some reason. I knew I was going to gain weight at the time, but I had other concerns. I had stopped tracking calories because I have hypochondria and I got too obsessive about my health and was trying to be less obsessive.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    The moment i stop logging i fall off the rails and gain weight.easy solution is stick with this simple tool with a simple message...CICO .

• nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    I am braced to catch a beating for this: Almost all people who lose weight put it back on eventually.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302773

There are those who don't re-gain, of course, and I would speculate the odds are higher here because MFP members are actively engaged in long term-weight loss strategy, rather than other more passive/transitory strategies ("I'll just eat less and get to the gym more" or "I'll do this grapefruit diet for a month")--but the hard truth is that we're mostly all just prepping for our next go-around.

True....this is not a short term program but rather a long term life style change. I do not expect to ever leave the cal counting, logging in daily etc. It should keep me on track with the normal variation of ups and downs. The rest will be a personal choice but at least it will be "in my face"
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I've been a sporadic MFP user for years, but didn't get serious about it until Feb 2017, after spending two years going through a series of surgeries including one that had a six months strict no lower body impact recovery time. I overate so much during that period and barely did any exercise; I went to the gym the day my six months was up and couldn't do a pushup or more than 10 situps and could barely walk a mile. I was the largest I'd ever been and I hated it. Over the next 7 months, I made a lot of changes to how I think about food and exercise and lost close to 40 pounds while re-discovering a love of running. It wasn't even that hard to do - I ate what I wanted while practicing moderation and enjoyed my time working out.
    Over the last year, I've moved across country and then again to the next state over, changed jobs three times, and some serious personal issues. I stopped working out after commuting two hours a day, and stopped logging and eating out/ ordering in way too much. From Nov 2017-Nov 2018, I regained about 15 pounds and got back from a vacation realizing that it had to change. I'm down about 6 so far with diet alone and I'm trying to find more ways to fit fitness into my life.
    It feels good to be less than 10 lbs from my previous low weight and I know that I have the tools to make it to my goals; all I need is the time to get there in a healthy way :).
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    I had to relearn what my normal portion sizes should be like. It is super easy to gain weight for me so this time around I plan to stick with it until I go 6 feet under. That is the only way. I missed working out and running but now I am so overweight that just getting started is a challenge. My initial motivation this time came from reading a book titled Cant Hurt Me by Goggins
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    I’d make a resolution- lose 1/2 or 2/3rds of goal and then slip back. Looking back some of the “ultimate goals” could be unrealistic- now I’m back because I let totally loose for the last year - especially winter- and I refuse to buy new clothes when I know I have plenty that will fit if I lose a reasonable amount- and I’ll feel better physically too. Not shooting for the moon - but healthier place I’ve been to before and know I can manage.