• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Yes she is aware of it.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    xvolution wrote: »
    My experiences with RDs and nutritionists are pretty hit and miss. The last time I met with my RD she gave me a booklet with recipes that were low sodium/low potassium/low phosphates. But she failed to notice that the tradeoff with these recipes was that a lot of them were very high in fat.

What's wrong with fat?

Nothing wrong with fat in moderation, but when a single serving has 30 grams of it...

Again, what's wrong with fat? So long as you make it fit your calorie goal, and you're getting sufficient protein ...

Nothing wrong with it, but when I made that recipe (it was for a low sodium seafood croquette) it put me about 40g over my macros for fat and about 30g under in protein. I agree fat is a good thing, but like you said, only if it fits your macros.

It's more about the goal the recipe was supposed to reach, which was to help increase protein consumption while keeping sodium and potassium levels down. It just seems iffy to me when, in a recipe that's supposed to showcase a lot of protein, the fat content is much higher than the protein content.
    But eating plenty of fat can make it easier to reach your protein goal. Maybe your fat goal was just set unnecessarily low.

Maybe. My current ratio is 45/30/25 so it's not too low, but probably could take some from carbs (I always have a deficit in carbs anyways) and add it to fats. The protein percentage has to stay 30% though due to doctor's orders.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    It's quite possible for someone with experience to tell the difference between normal "eating back exercise" and exercise purging behavior. It's not the same, and a professional who's working with a person one-to-one is best placed to spot that problem. The fact the RD pulled up her client for exercise purging does not in any way mean the RD doesn't understand NEAT calorie counting.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    I don't know..,there's some great nutritionists out there I'm sure, but I got better knowledge from reading a lot and my trainer at the gym than the nutritionist I went to see. She kept saying I should eat bananas for breakfast, and more banana with peanut butter for dessert. I had told her at the beginning of the session that I was flexible except "I'm allergic to peanuts and I hate bananas with a passion". Lol. Didn't follow that eating plan, obviously.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Registered dietician: minimally a bachelor's degree in a medical field, requires further food education, requires annual recertification

Nutritionist: someone that's says they are, no requirements. "Certified" nutritionist: someone who paid $19.95 for a certificate.

Follow dietary advice of an RD, ignore the nutritionists.