how much carbs is too much carbs? - dietary help

Replies

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    psuLemon wrote: »

Just to point out, carbs are not an essential macronutrient. Your body can create glucose by converting fats/proteins through glucenogenesis. Carbs can make a body run optimally though, increase exercise recovery, protect muscle, etc....

I was corrected for writing that carbs are an essential nutrient and told I'm wrong.

My statement that carbs are an essential nutrient came from the textbook from a recent university course I took on fitness. The textbook is Fit & Well: Core Concepts and Labs in Physical Fitness and Wellness, pub. by McGraw Hill Education.

The intro in Chap. 8, pg 226 says that carbohydrates are one of the 6 classes of essential nutrients, along with proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, and water.

It describes carbohydrates as a macronutrient along with proteins, fats, and water. The textbook describes micronutrients as vitamins and minerals. The carbohydrate function summary in Table 8.1., pg 226 says that carbohydrates supply energy to the brain, nervous system, and blood, and energy to muscles during exercise.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    RedSierra wrote: »

Just to point out, carbs are not an essential macronutrient. Your body can create glucose by converting fats/proteins through glucenogenesis. Carbs can make a body run optimally though, increase exercise recovery, protect muscle, etc....

I was corrected for writing that carbs are an essential nutrient and told I'm wrong.

My statement that carbs are an essential nutrient came from the textbook from a recent university course I took on fitness. The textbook is Fit & Well: Core Concepts and Labs in Physical Fitness and Wellness, pub. by McGraw Hill Education.

The intro in Chap. 8, pg 226 says that carbohydrates are one of the 6 classes of essential nutrients, along with proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, and water.

It describes carbohydrates as a macronutrient along with proteins, fats, and water. The textbook describes micronutrients as vitamins and minerals. The carbohydrate function summary in Table 8.1., pg 226 says that carbohydrates supply energy to the brain, nervous system, and blood, and energy to muscles during exercise.

Dietary carbs aren't essential. Your body can convert other things if required to supply glucose for energy production.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    @VintageFeline starchy carbs (sweet potato, winter squash, potatoes, brown rice, whole grains, and beans) what I assume you mean by what you said are different then refined carbs (white bread, white rice, and the"value added products") which is what I said. Without going off the refined products there is no way to know if you are having a problem that you just thought was "normal"

Are you serious that someone can't be relied upon to know their own digestive system?

Now I've seen everything in the realm of true belief.

Actually it's very common not to know your own digestive system. Full fledged type 2 diabetes is not always something that is diagnosed until the person has had it for years. When it is diagnosed, often times the first symptoms are not something which seems connected to carbs - such as bad vision.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Now everyone wants to get back on topic? Haha nice guys. Basic physiology

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-are-carbohydrates-converted-into-fat-deposits/

Basic physiology.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981

It doesn't happen outside of fringe cases.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Protein became relevant when you stated that glucose was the only thing that triggers an insulin response, which is clearly incorrect.

NO. That is not what I wrote. This is what I wrote:

Your body uses three types of molecules for fuel: glucose, alcohol, and ketones. Right? Your body uses them in that order.

The glucose in your blood is used for immediate energy and it is stored in your muscle as glycogen. So, if your glycogen stores are full any glucose in your blood not used immediately as energy is in excess. I think that's what this person meant by "glycogen overflow".

Glucose also happens to be the only of the three molecules to trigger an insulin response by which I mean it causes your pancreas to release the enzyme insulin

Your premise was already wrong.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Well OP, you definitely got a lot of response to your question. lol Most of the posters are right. Carbs don't determine your weight loss. Deficit does. But if you eat mostly carbs, you will be more likely to hate the weight loss journey because you will feel very hungry and won't be able to eat as much volume. The thing I noticed most was when I ate close to a 40%, 30%, 30% balance of Carbs, Protein, and Fat respectively, I felt pretty good. Even at a deficit. If you feel good and energetic at a deficit, you are more like to succeed because you aren't miserable.
    Another thing to note is when you lose weight you aren't only losing fat. You are losing muscle. It's good to eat a little more protein than normal while at a deficit. I lift heavy so I eat .8g per pound of body weight, i.e. 125g, but if you don't lift heavy might shoot for .5g per pound of body weight.
    I hope all this info hasn't overwhelmed you! It's amazing how many opinions are out there! I just tried to stick with the logical facts as much as possible. To me, balance seems like a good idea. Too much of anything in any area of life seems to be a bad thing. That's just something I have learned with age. I can also tell you that a bad day here and there won't derail you. Dwelling on it might. But if you move on and shoot for a better day tomorrow, and get better at having lots of those days, you'll be just fine.
    I would highly suggest lowering your daily intake though if you want to lose 2 pounds a week. Unless maintenance for you is 2500 calories per day. My maintenance is 1700 calories a day. If I ate 1500 calories a day I would lose less than a half a pound per week. Everyone is different but just to give you some perspective. You need a 1000 calorie per day deficit to lose 2 pounds per week. I have no idea what you weigh but, if you are just mildly overweight 2 pounds a week might be overshooting it a bit. I wouldn't drop below 1200 calories per day. You need to eat that much just to get the necessary nutrients your body needs. If you are obese then 2 pounds a week is fine for a while and 2500 might actually be maintenance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Well OP, you definitely got a lot of response to your question. lol Most of the posters are right. Carbs don't determine your weight loss. Deficit does. But if you eat mostly carbs, you will be more likely to hate the weight loss journey because you will feel very hungry and won't be able to eat as much volume. The thing I noticed most was when I ate close to a 40%, 30%, 30% balance of Carbs, Protein, and Fat respectively, I felt pretty good. Even at a deficit. If you feel good and energetic at a deficit, you are more like to succeed because you aren't miserable.
    Another thing to note is when you lose weight you aren't only losing fat. You are losing muscle. It's good to eat a little more protein than normal while at a deficit. I lift heavy so I eat .8g per pound of body weight, i.e. 125g, but if you don't lift heavy might shoot for .5g per pound of body weight.
    I hope all this info hasn't overwhelmed you! It's amazing how many opinions are out there! I just tried to stick with the logical facts as much as possible. To me, balance seems like a good idea. Too much of anything in any area of life seems to be a bad thing. That's just something I have learned with age. I can also tell you that a bad day here and there won't derail you. Dwelling on it might. But if you move on and shoot for a better day tomorrow, and get better at having lots of those days, you'll be just fine.
    I would highly suggest lowering your daily intake though if you want to lose 2 pounds a week. Unless maintenance for you is 2500 calories per day. My maintenance is 1700 calories a day. If I ate 1500 calories a day I would lose less than a half a pound per week. Everyone is different but just to give you some perspective. You need a 1000 calorie per day deficit to lose 2 pounds per week. I have no idea what you weigh but, if you are just mildly overweight 2 pounds a week might be overshooting it a bit. I wouldn't drop below 1200 calories per day. You need to eat that much just to get the necessary nutrients your body needs. If you are obese then 2 pounds a week is fine for a while and 2500 might actually be maintenance.

More protein is definitely a good point, but if one is a volume eater, carbs and protein are the go to since they are 4 cal per gram. There is actually a volume eater thread to discusses that.

Its actually been an interesting thread. It seems that those who need volume function better on low to mod fat. And those who dont like volume, do better with more fats and less carbs.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited August 2017

More protein is definitely a good point, but if one is a volume eater, carbs and protein are the go to since they are 4 cal per gram. There is actually a volume eater thread to discusses that.

Its actually been an interesting thread. It seems that those who need volume function better on low to mod fat. And those who dont like volume, do better with more fats and less carbs.

I am a volume eater and always have the most success on lower fat diets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017

I'm a participant in that thread. There's a subset of us in there who particularly need a bit of starchy carbs with our volume in order to feel satiated.

Just pointing this out to once again demonstrate that satiety is entirely individual. I suspect that some of this has to do with insulin sensitivity to some point, some of it has to do with activity levels (which in turn are likely affecting insulin sensitivity), and some of it is up to some other factors that I know absolutely nothing about.

I do grow very, very tired of the blanket assertions that only one macro balance is universally the most satiating, and know I'm not alone in not finding the combination of protein/fat to be the be all and end all of filling macro mixes.

I famously remember a poster (haven't seen her in a while) saying her satiating macro mix was fat and carbs.

The more I read on these things, the less I know.
  • valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    When you get 7 pages of arguing and answering , you need to realize that it's 100% personal preference. I did keto for 3 months and hated everyday, my life was misery I couldn't join any friends party or a night out. I realized this is not life and this isn't for me. I can fit that 160 calorie beer on my diary and now and I won't eat that fruit on the evening. It's personal preference. I was losing the same amount of weight with keto and with normal diet. Personal preference
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    valkongr wrote: »
    When you get 7 pages of arguing and answering , you need to realize that it's 100% personal preference. I did keto for 3 months and hated everyday, my life was misery I couldn't join any friends party or a night out. I realized this is not life and this isn't for me. I can fit that 160 calorie beer on my diary and now and I won't eat that fruit on the evening. It's personal preference. I was losing the same amount of weight with keto and with normal diet. Personal preference

Well that's really all it comes down to, and it's more than preference to a point, it's about what makes compliance easier.

The people who love keto/low carbing love it because it naturally satiates them and regulates their appetite and cravings and makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit. I have no issue with the adherents of those diets who advocate this approach and say this is why they are for it.

Where I do have an issue is with misinformation and bad science about how and why digestion and low carbing works.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

I am a volume eater and always have the most success on lower fat diets.

Its the first thing i cut.. protein and starches are my go to's.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    I find the Volume Eaters thread really interesting and would recommend checking it out, although in the past few months I've come to accept that I'm not really a volume eater, more of a mix.

I don't at all agree with those who say carbs cannot be satiating, though. The easiest time I had cutting calories (completely accidently) was when I tried to do a more traditional Lent that was vegan, very whole foods based and low fat. I was not intending to diet at all, but always felt plenty full and lost a bunch of weight -- I think I was eating around 1200 without trying. It was lots of veg, but also beans, potatoes and sweet potatoes and various grains. I don't think it would work for me overall (the religious element is what kept me from being seriously tempted by meat or cheese or the like and I've struggled, although not with hunger, when trying to eat that way at other times, although I enjoyed it that Lent). So I laugh when people insist that carbs cannot be filling.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member

That is a marvelous thread. Really learned a lot of great tips in there.