Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is eating right messing with your mood?

2»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Sounds like hangry syndrome
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    That did not happen to me, but since my diet was already filled with mostly healthy foods I didn't make many changes except in amount. And even the amounts weren't much of a change.
  • jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    I do hit my macros most days as I plan my meals ahead of time using the app. I think the emotional part of eating "junk" and taking that away was the problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I eat healthy whether I'm cutting weight or maintaining...but I hate cutting calories, so yeah...that makes me a little moody.

While I do eat healthy, I also allow for indulgences...it's not all or nothing.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I can relate.
    Since cutting my calories I have turned into an emotional wreck!
    I have a hard time with moderating sugar - so I'm going down the low carb route.
    It's hard but easier than feeling really hangry all the time.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    I agree with what someone said above -- when I go days with strict carb limits, I get cranky. Amazing how pretzels can turn it all around!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Not taking in enough fat can cause clinical depression. The brain needs fat to function properly.
    Plenty of medical studies linking low fat diet to mental health issues including depression.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    My mood is actually better! But, I have only been doing this for around a fortnight. Ask me again in a few weeks! ;)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    So, you are in the 1,200 - 1,500 caloric intake range? Might we ask what your stats are? Meaning, height and weight? Totally cool if you do not want to share that information.

It is possible that you are physically not consuming enough calories or it is possible that you are having a psychological reaction to 'you can't have this any more'. Or, both!

Since you are somewhat new to that caloric intake range (you stated that you were doing this for two weeks) what - if we may ask - were you doing before that?

If we might ask, what are your macros at this new caloric intake range? What were they before?

What are your current goals? And, what is your nutritional history (read: how often have you 'dieted' before)?