Giving up alcohol

13»

Replies

• JJBCPP
    JJBCPP Posts: 21 Member
    The health benefits are compelling not to mention the energy and clarity that comes with not drinking. I schedule early morning workouts after nights a plan to go out. Just doesn't appeal to me when I know I have to get up early and hit the gym.
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    I just went to friendly drinks that don't have many calories and limit that night out to once a month. GL
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    When I choose to drink I figure it in to my calorie allotment and choose lower calorie drinks. When I go to a party I take water with me. When go to a bar I order a diet soft drink or water with lemon. If you can't stand up to peer pressure to drink you have a bigger problem than this forum can solve and you need some new peers.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've never been a big drinker... I don't like beer, wine or strong drinks. So when I'm out with friends I may just have one or two diet cokes with rum - very few calories.
  • curtismccall
    curtismccall Posts: 27 Member
    Ive quit drinking just to get in better shape as well. I never drank often but when I did I was out of the gym for 2-3 because it took a while to get feeling normal again. Definitely makes it harder being social because a lot of my friends don't understand what i'm trying to do. Otherwise i've seen nothing but benefits from it. Its all in the head. Just keep that self discipline and you'll be fine.
  • I drink quite rarely (a few of times a month), always fit my drinks into the calorie plan, try to avoid sugary cocktails and most importantly - never have more than 2 drinks (shots, glasses of wine, beer etc).
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Offer to be the designated driver when you go out. Makes it a lot easier to not drink when you are responsible for other people's lives.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Which is not something the average person would be taking, given it is a prescribed drug.
    Antabuse. One pill a day and you can't drink at all. It takes a week to get out of your system.

• BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Moderate alcohol (in most cases) is fine. I would be concerned though if the reason for giving it up is due to regular hangovers. The concern would be the excess alcohol, not the alcohol itself. I'm not saying you shouldn't give up alcohol. But if the reason is hangover, it might be that you're drinking more than you intend to.