Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie counting/ exercise and social/everyday life

2»

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Nope. It takes all of 30 seconds to log food. I make time to exercise as part of my daily routine.

I want to know how this is possible. The only way logging takes me "all of 30 seconds" is if I copy meals from a previous day. (If I copy everything from the day before and don't have to look for the day, it can take less.)

Do you never eat anything new?
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    well you can copy the bar code of the meals and add them, also if at a restaurant if you hit the location button it may find the place and upload the menu where you can select your meals, if updated.

I need to do a better job of logging... it's not hard, I just brain fart and forget.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited September 2017
    Does counting calories or exercising ever interfere with your everyday / social life? For example : wanting to go to a restaurant but not knowing how much calories are in their meals or wanting to go to a staff party at work but not knowing how much calories are in the food/drinks. Do you experience similar situations? And how do you deal with them?

Yes, counting calories did for me. Not so much restaurants as we don't eat out often enough for that to be a big concern. But I love to cook and I hate to measure anything while cooking. That was a huge problem for me. I finally decided logging wasn't for me and just lost weight by eating less without measuring or logging.

Exercise does not, but I don't do a lot of exercise for the sake of exercise.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    MellowGa wrote: »
    also if at a restaurant if you hit the location button it may find the place and upload the menu where you can select your meals, if updated.

????

How does this work?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Does counting calories or exercising ever interfere with your everyday / social life? For example : wanting to go to a restaurant but not knowing how much calories are in their meals or wanting to go to a staff party at work but not knowing how much calories are in the food/drinks. Do you experience similar situations? And how do you deal with them?

No because these aren't everyday occurrences...these types of things tend to be occasions which in the big picture aren't really all that relevant.

Pretty much all of my friends are fitness and nutrition junkies...we all exercise regularly and often have outings that revolve around "exercise" like hiking and rock climbing, group rides, etc...then we go back to each others houses to enjoy some cold beers and good food...so regular exercise only enhances my personal life...doesn't get in the way.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    also if at a restaurant if you hit the location button it may find the place and upload the menu where you can select your meals, if updated.

????

How does this work?

It's not available for me so I'm going by what I remember reading here. Apparently there is a location icon next to the barcode scanner that can be pressed to search for menus from local restaurants in some areas.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited September 2017

????

How does this work?

It's not available for me so I'm going by what I remember reading here. Apparently there is a location icon next to the barcode scanner that can be pressed to search for menus from local restaurants in some areas.

not for me either...*cries*
    Nope. It takes all of 30 seconds to log food. I make time to exercise as part of my daily routine.

I want to know how this is possible. The only way logging takes me "all of 30 seconds" is if I copy meals from a previous day. (If I copy everything from the day before and don't have to look for the day, it can take less.)

I usually go for what's under my frequent foods or recent.

Most people do eat similar or same things frequently.

I live in North amercia so Chicken, beef, pork etc are staples sometimes fish etc.

For me my logging doesn't take long either because I do eat similar/same foods a lot.

Dinners become leftovers for lunch. My breakfasts are saved as "meals" to log quickly et.c

ETA: variety can also mean you eat something once a month but have it as a recipe. or time of year can dictate what you eat as well...

and searching doesn't take that long...I won't claim 30 secs but a 2-5 mins max for each day and in the large scheme of things...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

I'm always amazed by the times people claim to spend logging too. I guess they must eat the same foods over and over. Not me. I crave variety.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    No, not really. But then I've only been at it for 2 months. When I've gone out to eat with friends I just gave myself permission to eat "whatever" or I planned ahead of time what I would eat by looking up the restaurant menu. I don't work in an office so I don't have any of those issues related to office culture. If I'm going to a potluck (work or social) I will make something healthy that I will eat just to be sure that I can eat something decent that I like and won't be astronomical as far as calories.

It doesn't take me long to log in my meals. Breakfast and snacks are usually the same. If it is a new recipe that is my own, that does take some time to log in. I just discovered that you can put the URL of recipes online and it figures it all out on MFP. I love this since I have used some recipes from different websites. Saves some time. Also I will usually log in the night before what I plan to eat. It does change during the day sometimes but it is easy enough to remove it and put something else. I also log in whenever I eat during the day (if I have to change something) and do not wait to do it all at once at the end of the day. That means you have to "think" and remember what you ate. Much quicker to do it right before or after you eat.