Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

18910111214»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    katsheare wrote: »
    All salads at any restaurant - don't even look at them anymore.

What suprised me the most recently was Buffalo Wild Wings WHOLE menu. Recently they were required to put the calorie count on everything, which made it easier know what to avoid, but I had a hard time getting out of there under 500 calories.

My BF and I made a pact that we split meals at restaurants now - so we can have what we want and still not over eat. It's really surprising just HOW much food you get in 1 meal. Sometimes now, we don't even finish one.

This was largely how I navigated my French holiday this summer. I generally split a main with our son anyway (neither of us being huge eaters) and a dessert 3 ways means about 2 bites each. Even works with cheese.

And while I know it's not restaurant's responsibility to offer low-calorie dishes on their menu, it does drive me mad to walk in somewhere, say 'whelp' and walk right back out again because nothing they offer is calorie efficient. We make amazing food at home, so I know it can be done. Fat is where the flavour's at (as an old housemate of mine would say) but the sad fact is that if you're on restrictive calories, eating out poses a challenge. I know the MFP blog goes over this in detail (and it may have been covered in this thread as well), but how wonderful would it be if those of us who have decided to take our health into our own hands voted enough with our wallets to change the trends of too-large portions, of too much unnecessary stuff added to everything to trends like more vegetables than starch on the plate, or dressing and sauces always on the side.

Hey, a girl can dream.

Yes!.. Steak is usually the *only* thing that isn't smothered with added fat at just about any restaurant.
    On the bright side, I get another 2-3 meals out of any meal I order at a restaurant, so I don't mind the gigantic portions... but it would be nice if a cup of broccoli, for instance, wasn't hundreds of calories. (I can't blame them though - most people don't watch their calorie intake and prefer everything doused in butter or cream sauce).

FYI - many restaurants (steakhouses especially) will douse their steaks in butter before serving. It's delicious but not quite calorie friendly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I didn't even know that people used oil in marinades before reading this thread. All the marinades I know of are either soy sauce based or vinegar based without oil. Regional thing, maybe?

All the recipes I found online for marinades called for oil, and I found a bunch of articles about how oil is necessary to really let the flavors through. I stick to seasoning now...
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

What suprised me the most recently was Buffalo Wild Wings WHOLE menu. Recently they were required to put the calorie count on everything, which made it easier know what to avoid, but I had a hard time getting out of there under 500 calories.

My BF and I made a pact that we split meals at restaurants now - so we can have what we want and still not over eat. It's really surprising just HOW much food you get in 1 meal. Sometimes now, we don't even finish one.

This was largely how I navigated my French holiday this summer. I generally split a main with our son anyway (neither of us being huge eaters) and a dessert 3 ways means about 2 bites each. Even works with cheese.

And while I know it's not restaurant's responsibility to offer low-calorie dishes on their menu, it does drive me mad to walk in somewhere, say 'whelp' and walk right back out again because nothing they offer is calorie efficient. We make amazing food at home, so I know it can be done. Fat is where the flavour's at (as an old housemate of mine would say) but the sad fact is that if you're on restrictive calories, eating out poses a challenge. I know the MFP blog goes over this in detail (and it may have been covered in this thread as well), but how wonderful would it be if those of us who have decided to take our health into our own hands voted enough with our wallets to change the trends of too-large portions, of too much unnecessary stuff added to everything to trends like more vegetables than starch on the plate, or dressing and sauces always on the side.

Hey, a girl can dream.

Yes!.. Steak is usually the *only* thing that isn't smothered with added fat at just about any restaurant.
    On the bright side, I get another 2-3 meals out of any meal I order at a restaurant, so I don't mind the gigantic portions... but it would be nice if a cup of broccoli, for instance, wasn't hundreds of calories. (I can't blame them though - most people don't watch their calorie intake and prefer everything doused in butter or cream sauce).

FYI - many restaurants (steakhouses especially) will douse their steaks in butter before serving. It's delicious but not quite calorie friendly.

Yep, same for the chicken breast that ended 580 calories instead of 300.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    As far as I know, the people in my family have normally just used the common storebought marinades - Chiavetta's doesn't have oil in it, nor does Kikkoman Teriyaki, or soy sauce+condensed orange juice for orange chicken, or beer/wine/soda - always thin liquids. It truly never occurred to me to add oil to a marinade (and definitely not by the cupful).
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Chefs salad. Seems healthy but can easily be a 1000 calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

Hey, a girl can dream.

I've never worked at a restaurant that didn't dunk the steak in oil before putting it on the grill. Faster than oiling the grill.
  • RaymondKnight
    RaymondKnight Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Ok. I didn't think this was "healthy," per-se, but I didn't realize the damage it did to my diet. And that is microbrew. I measured three pints of beer and it was over 1,000 calories. Those were the last beers I had, and I've lost 35 pounds so far. Full disclosure: I switched to Tequila, but also my alcohol intake is much lower than it was prior to adopting this new lifestyle. For those interested in what the beer was, it was Imperial Java Stout by Santa Fe Brewing. Current tequila of choice is Tres Generaciones Anejo.
  • RaymondKnight
    RaymondKnight Posts: 42 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I just found out my green tea and lemon detox cleanse smoothie has 7 calories.
    I am sooo afraid to step on the scale. :anguished:
    ruwj5s2elq9i.jpg

7 calories?

Even if that's accurate, I would be worried about getting on the scale because it would mean leaving the toilet.

LOL! I never would drink something that looked like pureed diarrhea.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member

I'm in a small Midwestern city and we have both of those. I travel a lot for work and see Jason's Deli and Schlotzskys all over the Midwest and South. Maybe they're not prevalent in rural/suburban (like Subway is) or on one or both coasts (?) but to me it seems they both have a huge presence.

This really surprised me because I travel all over the Midwest for work and live in Chicago and have never heard of Schlotzskys. Apparently there's none in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, or anywhere really that i travel, at least according to Google maps. There's one in Minneapolis I might check out if it's close to my hotel.

I Do prefer Panera over subway but subway saves me when I'm in rural areas. I'm vegetarian and in some towns, my choices for a quick bite are pizza, taco bell, or subway. Subway veggie delite becomes my best friend during those travels!
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member

Halal requires that the animal be slaughtered by slitting the jugular while the animal is still conscious. It is not the quickest and most pain free of deaths. This is why people get upset about it.

This. Although I find it strange that kosher meat has the same slaughtering method, but no one seems to get up in arms about it.

My Muslim and Jewish friends always eat vegetarian when eating out, unless they are at a place they really trust. There's more to halal/kosher than just the slaughtering method, and how many big chains are really going to be that careful to follow the rules?
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    When I was a kid I thought bread and crackers were diet food.
    i7kunw6qr3bi.png
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Pesto. My beloved pesto. It is quite oily so I'm experimenting with it.

The ones that annoy me the most are ones that claim to be a 'healthy option' but are not. A tuna and sweetcorn sandwich from the uni cafe has fewer calories and less sodium and sugar than the 'light options' tuna and sweetcorn sandwich.

Still not worked out the justification for making that one look more healthy when it has higher levels of everything except nutrients.