Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Latin textbooks
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    So.. I'm guessing either a lot of people in this forum don't read books.. or they only read fiction. That's a bit of a bummer.

Not true! I have been reading several non-fiction books. One is called the "Hillbilly Elegy" about a man who overcomes his environment to attend an ivy league college and become an attorney.

The one that I am reading now is about Steve Young. I was always curious why he stayed so long in a back-up role behind Joe Montana when he was equally as talented. I am really enjoying it as he is a person of integrity and in this political landscape, I am looking for more stories like his.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    The_Immortal_Life_Henrietta_Lacks_%28cover%29.jpg
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    So.. I'm guessing either a lot of people in this forum don't read books.. or they only read fiction. That's a bit of a bummer.

Not true! I have been reading several non-fiction books. One is called the "Hillbilly Elegy" about a man who overcomes his environment to attend an ivy league college and become an attorney.

I bought that book a few months ago! Is it good? I heard good things about it so I picked it up on a whim, but kinda just.. stuck it in my pile of books.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »

I bought that book a few months ago! Is it good? I heard good things about it so I picked it up on a whim, but kinda just.. stuck it in my pile of books.

You should read it! It is very good. I haven't finished it yet. But he is from Appalachia and it has a serious drug issue (as does many areas of this country) and poverty. His mom is a nurse who becomes an addict. He is raised by his grandparents. Knowing his background, you would never have aspirations beyond working in a coal mine, for example. The author was interviewed on "Face the Nation" and I had to read the book. Let me know if you like it.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Very entertaining.

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Sapiens is great.
    Haven't gotten around to Homo Deus yet.
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm into political science...The Ascendancy of Scientific Dictatorship by Paul & Phillip Collins