Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does your doctor comment on your weight?

Replies

• crazyinspired11
    crazyinspired11 Posts: 46 Member
    I have had doctors in the past comment on my weight, my last doctor was the worst. No understanding about anything just that I was over weight. I quit going to him at the beginning on this year. The doctor I have now hasnt said anything and is very understanding
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Doctors should tell pregnant women when they are gaining too quickly. No reason to get offended. I say this having recently been pregnant. My baby is 3 months old.

Why? Does it harm the baby somehow to gain weight quickly vs slowly?

I remember my doctor telling me the same thing (many years ago) when I gained 7 lbs one month. Made some snide comment about "eating too much ice cream" and how I'd just have a lot more to lose. But everyone I know who has been pregnant has been like that, big jumps in weight some months. I think I ended up gaining 32 lbs total, at 5' 10" and starting weight of 130. Sometimes doctors are just *kitten*.

(He also told me my 10 lb baby was going to be "average size" - I switched doctors for the next two.)
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Many of the (Australian) pregnancy magazines I read whilst expecting in 2004 mentioned that 1) weight gain was probably inevitable (weight loss was cause for medical concern) but that minus the weight of the baby/waters etc, 5-10kgs was probably "normal" and that expectant mums might experience ligament/joint/muscle issues if weight was gained quickly or more than 10kgs was gained during the pregnancy. When you consider the strain that carrying a full-term baby plus 10 or more kilos would put on a tired, hormonal person, I can understand why doctors might be concerned about a sudden or "excessive" weight gain ("" because excessive means something different to everyone). Of course, I think doctors treating expectant people should have a better bedside manner.
    I gained about 5kg, and if it weren't for the untreated "sick-all-day-and-night" morning sickness I probably would have gained more.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I think 10 kg is considered about the right amount to gain

Of course there are other factors influencing what is best for each person - but as a rough rule of thumb.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I think 10 kg is considered about the right amount to gain

Of course there are other factors influencing what is best for each person - but as a rough rule of thumb.

Really? That seems way too low to me - I have always heard 25 - 35 lbs is recommended amount for an average weight woman.
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Late the the thread - answering the original question:

My cardiologist never talks about weight. Don't know about my new PCP as we won't meet until next month. Besides, what do 95% of docs KNOW about nutrition? Having several docs as friends I came to learn that nutrition is a single course during their undergrad days. One freaking course on nutrition! They! Do! Not! Know! Nutrition!

So I stumble on with my wife and we dig in to the research. <sigh/>
  • simply_shawnmarie
    simply_shawnmarie Posts: 23 Member
    My doctor will talk about it if I bring it up. I have been losing weight and I slowly gained weight in my last pregnancy, so I got more positive comments about my weight from my doc. Also, because I was working with a nutritionist, she just said that was great.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

My cardiologist never talks about weight. Don't know about my new PCP as we won't meet until next month. Besides, what do 95% of docs KNOW about nutrition? Having several docs as friends I came to learn that nutrition is a single course during their undergrad days. One freaking course on nutrition! They! Do! Not! Know! Nutrition!

But the question was Does your doctor comment on your weight - not Does your doctor comment on your nutrition.

Doctors don't need to know detail about nutrition to know about healthy weight ranges.

I would expect a doctor to refer somebody to a dietician if they need detailed nutrition advice - but that the starting point for that might be a need to reduce weight.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member

Just popping by to say hello to a fellow Scadian.
    upulw40yipcs.gif
  • My doctor hasn't said anything other than congratulations, and asked me how I did it (presumably to make sure I wasn't doing something unsafe) and was understanding when I said, "Something's wrong, because my weight loss has stopped dead in the water." (My thyroid has crapped out. Surgery to remove the tumors in January hopefully.)

I'm sorta-kinda trying to maintain at this point because I am also going to try to get a breast reduction and they like you to be at the same weight for six months. Which I have been, thanks to thyroid. (sigh)
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    edited October 2021
    Just popping by to say hello to a fellow Scadian.

Hello m'Lady (as I have no idea your rank - yet.) Lord Iohannes at your service. Once of An Tir, then the Outlands where I became the 2nd Squire to Sir Leifr, now residing in Trimaris (Shire of Sangre del Sol). But shhh! We never told anyone we were here since we moved in 3 years ago.