What is the best non-dairy cheese?

2»

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Follow Your Heart makes good non-soy pepperjack and mozzarella.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Where can I buy that pimiento cashew cheese? Sounds good, I’m also vegan and looking for non dairy cheeses
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Oops I see now that I have to make it!!
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    I just had this vegan cheese and it was horrible!

Vtopian Artisan Cheeses has amazing vegan cheese! All other vegan cheeses kinda suck. They’re located in Portland, but you can find their cheeses in food co-ops around the PNW, and you can also order them online. I definitely recommend trying them.
  • rawvegpower
    rawvegpower Posts: 19 Member
    I love So Delicious’s cheddar shredded cheese and it’s pretty avalible check their store locator online.
  • I've been lactose intolerant my whole life so let me lay some truth down here! Life dairy free is rough!! I have learned to pretty much live with it and avoid all dairy/cheese but if I get a craving for cheese, I have a Pinterest recipe for mac and "cheese" using cashews and nutritional yeast. It is absolutely amazing as long as its seasoned correctly and you don't expect it to taste like cheese. I don't buy any of the vegan cheese just cause it tastes like chemicals to me.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2018
    chao and miyoko's are my two favorite vegan cheeses. Chao is much more readily available (more so than even daiya in supermarkets near me).
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2018
    fo something easy to find. daiya.. i think treeline tastes horrible. pure abundance is in atlanta and its delish.. also u can make ur own..

hmm i live in atlanta and I don't think i've heard of pure abundance. What stores carry it? I don't think i've seen it in either whole foods or publix (the two stores I usually shop at).

edit: but apparently my local whole foods carries it.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Kite Hill is very good. The vegan cream cheeses overall are most like the real stuff. I use daiya mozzarella on pizza (small amount just to get a cheesy flavor). The daiya cheddar makes a pretty good grilled cheese and ham sandwich. I have a dairy allergy, so I can't have the real stuff anymore. 10 years in, I rarely eat even the vegan cheese. I have learned to substitute hummus, avocado, roasted red peppers, or cashews to get the richness cheese provides in dishes and sandwiches. Once you quit cheese, you realize just how often restaurants use cheese as a shortcut to add flavor to pretty bland foods.
  • DisneyVeganLove
    DisneyVeganLove Posts: 112 Member
    I just had this vegan cheese and it was horrible!

I have tried them all. They all suck. None will ever come close to cheese as we love. I have had some cashew spreads that are ok but, none for replacing on burgers, pizza and pasta bakes.

On the bright side giving up dairy has been like a fountain of youth for me. My skin and hair are amazing.