Junk Food Withdrawal? Addiction?

2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I actually don't see a need to totally give up caffeine. I have cut back over the years. But watch calories when drinking it.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    I love "junk" food too. And there's no need to go cold-turkey on anything! Especially something physically addictive like caffeine. It works for some people, but definitely not for all.

You said "Unfortunately, I don't feel well at all when I eat exclusively healthy foods."

Your gut microbe community takes TIME to adjust to differing diets, especially if you've eaten the same way for years and are adding more plant based foods. Don't forget that a lot of your digestion is done by them, not just your body. Introducing foods may work better for you if you do it slower/in smaller amounts.

What worked for me was portion control - small fries, kid size burgers, single scoops of ice cream, pre-portioning chips in small bags so I only ate some at a time. If you can't have something like chips around without eating the entire bag, just pick the smallest size bag they sell. Eating a 3.4 oz bag is certainly better than one of the family size ones.

I also started slowly adding more green things - eat some veggies or salad, then whatever was my main meal. That way I satisfied my cravings while improving my nutrient/fiber intake.