Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think there is any nutritional advantage to eating organic foods to justify the higher cost?

1234568»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    Less pesticides released into the general environment? Not usually. Organic does not mean pesticide free. And natural pesticide doesn't mean non-toxic or safe or less harmful to the environment.

I question whether this is true. Not the last sentence so much as the first. I'll admit I don't read up on commercial organic practices all that much, but for the local organic farmer that uses pesticides they often look for those that don't leave as much residue as non-organic. Things that break down quickly rather than hanging around for decades and working their way into waterways and surrounding lands.

I often see people argue that there isn't value in organic pesticides because often they are applied more often, when in some instances the value is why they are applied more often. Because they break down quickly and therefore must be reapplied throughout the growing season.

If you have something to back up the statement that organic farming practices don't usually mean better for the environment I'd love to see it. I know that sounds a little "put up or shut up" type but I don't mean it that way. I am genuinely interested.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited September 2017
    @stanmann571 The plant grows from the root...aka tuber...aka potato

The plant from the article you've cited isn't in the food supply. And thus is irrelevant to the discussion.

It never progressed beyond theoretical/initial test.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2017

I question whether this is true. Not the last sentence so much as the first. I'll admit I don't read up on commercial organic practices all that much, but for the local organic farmer that uses pesticides they often look for those that don't leave as much residue as non-organic. Things that break down quickly rather than hanging around for decades and working their way into waterways and surrounding lands.

I often see people argue that there isn't value in organic pesticides because often they are applied more often, when in some instances the value is why they are applied more often. Because they break down quickly and therefore must be reapplied throughout the growing season.

I know I've referred a number of times to geographic differences in practice, but the Soil Association certification applies to about 80% of the growers in the UK, and it's available elsewhere. They accredit a number of herbicides and pesticides largely around persistence, and collateral effects. What we're seeing in this thread, as with so many others, is an example of poor science literacy. The fact that organic growers use herbicides and pesticides seems to be used as a reason to condemn the practice, rather than explore the rationale for their use.

Fwiw one of the points I have seen about environmental impact relates to an increased workforce, with all the related infrastructure to support them.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    People realize that most larger organic farms douse the soil with pesticides days before planting, then plant. They can call it pesticide free legally at this point.

Source: Knows farmers.

Farmers aren't praying that little insects don't eat them into bankruptcy. They are actively doing something about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    People realize that most larger organic farms douse the soil with pesticides days before planting, then plant. They can call it pesticide free legally at this point.

Farmers aren't praying that little insects don't eat them into bankruptcy. They are actively doing something about it.

You know farmers that use pesticides and lie about it?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

If it's used on the soil, and not the plants, it's not lying.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2017

Given that many pesticides can are neutralised fairly quickly in soil I'm unconvinced that it's a particularly cost effective approach. I'd also expect something more than my mate as a source.

Fwiw I suppose legal probably depends on the certification scheme. Wouldn't be acceptable in Europe.
  • Need2Exerc1se

How so? After a reread I see they they said 'legally' so I guess they weren't actually saying they lied, just that the law allows it to be called that. But still, how would a plant grown in soil doused with pesticides be pesticide free?
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    @stanmann571 The plant grows from the root...aka tuber...aka potato

The plant from the article you've cited isn't in the food supply. And thus is irrelevant to the discussion.

It never progressed beyond theoretical/initial test.

It did pass theoretical/initial test and how do you know whether or not it's in the food supply?

And it's not up to you what's relevant in this discussion