Would you be annoyed if someone points out your 5-10 punds weight gain?

13»

Replies

• amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    edited October 2017
    I agree with some of the other comments that what she said is a bit rude but there's no need to report it to HR. She might not have meant to say it - she could have accidentally just blurted it out - but reporting to HR is a bit much.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Thanks everyone for your insights. I won't take it to HR
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited October 2017
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Now that I read your further explanation of your weight changes, it makes more sense as to why "everyone" is commenting on it. At this point, it's up to YOU to put a stop to it.

Politely and briefly make it clear that your weight fluctuations are no longer a topic of conversation, whether it's common in a culture or not. If something makes you uncomfortable, then speak up. Set your boundaries and enforce them.

OK I will do that but I work in big building so the commenters are not always the same people. I haven't seen this lady for months since she works opposite shifts and that's the first thing she tells me.

Also I asked another man "why do you care how much I weigh'? after he repeatedly made comments on my weight fluctuations .He got the hint and stopped

How many people have commented on your weight at one time or the other?

I don't keep track but more than 10 people for sure.It seems like a common occurrence in this work place. I never had that issue at previous workplaces. My weight has always fluctuate depending on how active I am

Because this has been happening to you from approximately 10 people, I would quietly document who/what/when/where/time in a small notebook that you may conveniently carry. I would also document your OWN response such as "stop making comments about my body."

I personally would take this documentation to your H.R. This is HARASSMENT. Whether its a male, female, and especially your supervisors. This is something H.R. needs to address and put a STOP to it. When you DO take it to H.R., tell them you are highly offended.

(eta: if an employee loses their job over something such as this? This is grounds for discrimination lawsuit here in the U.S. )
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Coming from a region where starvation is not uncommon, I can see why some Somalis would notice if others are gaining or losing weight. Chances are, being heavy is a sign of wealth, and thus something to be complimented, not an insult at all. That said, it would be a good idea to respond, "In this country, it isn't acceptable to comment on people's weight."
  • Gracie12311
    Gracie12311 Posts: 44 Member

I don't keep track but more than 10 people for sure.It seems like a common occurrence in this work place. I never had that issue at previous workplaces. My weight has always fluctuate depending on how active I am

[/quote]

Because this has been happening to you from approximately 10 people, I would quietly document who/what/when/where/time in a small notebook that you may conveniently carry. I would also document your OWN response such as "stop making comments about my body."

I personally would take this documentation to your H.R. This is HARASSMENT. Whether its a male, female, and especially your supervisors. This is something H.R. needs to address and put a STOP to it. When you DO take it to H.R., tell them you are highly offended.

(eta: if an employee loses their job over something such as this? This is grounds for discrimination lawsuit here in the U.S. )[/quote]

My HR department would absolutely not do anything about someone asking me if I’d gained weight or lost weight. I’d say there’s a slight, slight chance they might say something to that particular person if I made a huge stink about it. But there would be no disciplinary action and I dare say that person might come back with the “in my culture....” and that probably would end it.

I’ll be honest, if someone asking someone else if they’ve gained or lost weight is “highly” offensive, I’m not sure how people handle things when something TRULY offensive happens. Not saying I’d like the question myself, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. Just annoying and kind of rude. I’d just tell them to worry about their own weight.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    edited October 2017
    I guess maybe it depends were you work .My sister had an incident were one of her colleagues constantly making comments on how she is too skinny .She went to report him and HR warned him if he doesn't stop they will dismiss him. He never said a word to her again
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Of course there's no way to know for sure, but it's likely that she wasn't intending to be rude. I'd address it with her first. It shouldn't be a big deal to say some polite version of, "Hey, I don't like that; please don't do it." If you do that and it continues, then I'd think about talking to HR.
  • lil_moniQ
    lil_moniQ Posts: 11 Member
    I at first feel insulted when somebody points it out. But when I finally go over to the scale to weigh myself (because I don't do it often), then I become grateful... Because I dislike my body image being one of overweight or obesity... And it means that other people have noticed the change in my body also before I was aware of it... I don't mind. I just hate it when it turns into bullying and taunting... That.... my friends, has got to stop.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Now that I read your further explanation of your weight changes, it makes more sense as to why "everyone" is commenting on it. At this point, it's up to YOU to put a stop to it.

Politely and briefly make it clear that your weight fluctuations are no longer a topic of conversation, whether it's common in a culture or not. If something makes you uncomfortable, then speak up. Set your boundaries and enforce them.

OK I will do that but I work in big building so the commenters are not always the same people. I haven't seen this lady for months since she works opposite shifts and that's the first thing she tells me.

Also I asked another man "why do you care how much I weigh'? after he repeatedly made comments on my weight fluctuations .He got the hint and stopped

How many people have commented on your weight at one time or the other?

Wow that's very bizarre. Not sure how 10 diff people would see your face and immediately connect you with weight loss/gain.