Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Of refeeds and diet breaks

1213214215216217219»

Replies

• anubis609anubis609 Posts: 3,981Member Member Posts: 3,981Member Member
    For recovery after an injury or surgery, your nutritional requirements do increase to meet the needs for your body to repair tissue, handle physical therapy, any meds, and so on. You can consider it a diet break, but in and of itself, it is an entirely separate situation. Once you're fully recovered and able to go ease back into your usual activity, you can then go back to your deficit as planned.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 5,971Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,971Member, Premium Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    For recovery after an injury or surgery, your nutritional requirements do increase to meet the needs for your body to repair tissue, handle physical therapy, any meds, and so on. You can consider it a diet break, but in and of itself, it is an entirely separate situation. Once you're fully recovered and able to go ease back into your usual activity, you can then go back to your deficit as planned.

That is about what I said. The crossover might have been the mental benefit of a break but that is where this is lacking right now. The surgery itself has left me feeling much better and I am off all pain and surgery related meds so even though I am still healing and not entirely comfortable I was hoping to enjoy this additional food more.

This is not something I need solved. After 19 months of managing my mental state through this weight loss I am sure I can get my head back in the game but it may take something more than this.

I was really posting this for anyone else. I was uptight in my weight loss for only 90 days but that has had an impact on me and I am not relaxed eating more food.
  • MelodiousMermaidMelodiousMermaid Posts: 161Member Member Posts: 161Member Member
    I don't recall this being discussed yet, and I'm planning ahead, so figured I'd throw it out there. Is there anything out there that pushes the diet break into any sort of macros as "preferable/ideal" for a category 3 dieter? I know it's a bigger deal for Cat 1 and a bit for Cat 2, but I'm still solidly going to be Cat 3 on this break.

The reason I ask is that I'm considering mostly increasing fats and I recall something about 100g carbs a day, so will probably do that with mostly veggies. Hoping that's not net, because I really do not want to keep track. Since I plan to hop right back in after the break, I wanted to keep the WOE similar to what I'm currently doing (which is close to RFL). Thinking higher fat meats and cheeses with whatever fits my fancy and macro budget (with protein still high).

On a related note, if any of you has experience/knowledge to help with this, does going from effective keto to 100g carb/day mean I need to switch to "normal diet" sodium levels?
  • MaxxittMaxxitt Posts: 1,097Member Member Posts: 1,097Member Member
    I don't recall this being discussed yet, and I'm planning ahead, so figured I'd throw it out there. Is there anything out there that pushes the diet break into any sort of macros as "preferable/ideal" for a category 3 dieter? I know it's a bigger deal for Cat 1 and a bit for Cat 2, but I'm still solidly going to be Cat 3 on this break.

The reason I ask is that I'm considering mostly increasing fats and I recall something about 100g carbs a day, so will probably do that with mostly veggies. Hoping that's not net, because I really do not want to keep track. Since I plan to hop right back in after the break, I wanted to keep the WOE similar to what I'm currently doing (which is close to RFL). Thinking higher fat meats and cheeses with whatever fits my fancy and macro budget (with protein still high).

On a related note, if any of you has experience/knowledge to help with this, does going from effective keto to 100g carb/day mean I need to switch to "normal diet" sodium levels?

In his Facebook group Lyle McDonald said in March "Full diet break simply needs to have at least 150 g/day [of carbs] for hormonal reasons and it's more that calories need to come back up to maintenance." In terms of sodium levels, I would think that "normal diet" levels would be most appropriate as you'll not be shedding water like you do with minimum carbs.

edited December 2
  • anubis609anubis609 Posts: 3,981Member Member Posts: 3,981Member Member
    Cat 3 dieters just need to increase calories to maintenance. Protein is more or less constant (~1g/lbm in maintenance), and carbs/fat are where you would like them to be, though increasing them as already stated would be more beneficial than increasing fat, unless you're planning to remain somewhat keto, which should be apparent, has no advantage other than adherence.

Remember that the premise behind the diet break is to train for long term maintenance when it's all said and done, so adding extra portions of the same diet food are usually what bump up calories, with maybe an occasional treat if it fits without being in a constant surplus.

Sodium, even in the context of a mixed diet, does not need to be reduced so long as most of the foods are minimally processed. You can still consume around 3-5g of sodium without much problem, unless you're on a medical restriction.