Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

how many calories do you eat a day?

15678911»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,884 Member
    I have my goal set to 1900 a day to maintain my weight but I often go over closer to 2000. I just switched to maintain (actively) so we will see in a few weeks if its the right amount of calories. I also work out 5 days a week and don’t log any exercise calories
  • ltlsnbl75
    ltlsnbl75 Posts: 38 Member
    MFP has me that I should be eating about 1350 a day and I try my best to not go over
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    I eat about 1200 calories per day per MFP and my weight fluctuates between 116-118 lbs, I'm 42 yrs old and 5'4". I would love to get back to where I used to be at when I was in my mid 30's, which was around 111-112 lbs, but it seems impossible.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    I'm 145 at 5'4. I have an athletic build as well. I'm moderately active, running 2x a week, cycling 4x a week and walking.

However, I always put my activity level at none and ask to lose weight. Most calculators put me at 1200ish calories a day, sometimes 1100. I don't eat back my exercise calories ever and I maintain at this low level. Kinda sucks. If I go above, I gain.
  • donotfear
    donotfear Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm trying to lose about 25 lbs. I weigh the most I've ever weighed, at 153. More than when i was pregnant. I'm about to turn 60 and it's all in my gut and thighs. Ideal weight for me is 125. I'm going for 1200 a day
  • Sabreekoonce
    Sabreekoonce Posts: 16 Member
    I am 5'6" and currently weigh 145 pounds. My goal is 130 pounds. I am a server and tend to be on my feet for 6-8 hours a day plus I go to the gym 3 times a week for weights and go for evening walks whenever I feel like it. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue so some days are better than others. My caloric goal is between 1400-1600 any given day. I find that I struggle with going any lower and if I go any higher I feel bloated.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,587 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well, since I posted, I became one of "those" people - losing weight for a "special" event.

In my case, it dawned on me that my 40th birthday is coming up. For some reason I do NOT want to turn 40 feeling fat. I also realized if I cracked down on my eating, I could get to my "first stop" goal weight (or really, really close to it) by my birthday. It would be at the maximum "safe" loss rate (1% of BW/week), but still in that zone.

That was the kick in the pants I needed apparently. Been losing fairly steadily since, and am on track to hit the first stop weight 4 days after my birthday. Still lifting as I want to preserve as much muscle and strength (especially) as I can, still have been able to increase several of my lifts this week.
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 132 Member
    1200 a day in net calories, but I'm so close to goal weight that it seems to take forever. I try to exercise 3-4 days a week, so i have a bit of wriggle room in terms of eating. At 1200cals it can be tricky not to get a bit grumpy sometimes.

at this point it takes me two weeks of total discipline in order to lose a single kilo. Needless to say I'm not always that disciplined. :-)
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    1200 a day in net calories, but I'm so close to goal weight that it seems to take forever. I try to exercise 3-4 days a week, so i have a bit of wriggle room in terms of eating. At 1200cals it can be tricky not to get a bit grumpy sometimes.

at this point it takes me two weeks of total discipline in order to lose a single kilo. Needless to say I'm not always that disciplined. :-)

A kill per two weeks is great! I'm going off the assumption that you are not that heavy since posting in this group. I was worried I couldn't be that disciplined so I aimed for .5lb per week aka <.5 kilos per two weeks and boy did that feel like molasses especially when the scale went through wrong direction......
    While moving at a snail's pace can be frustrating, it does have the positive of having time to build good habits and prepare for the next stage.