Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

1141516171820»

Replies

• Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I so, so, so love that this thread has suddenly become all about all the different kinds of creams. MY PEOPLE! <3

I believe in the US we also have "light whipping cream." I know this because I went on a cooking binge while snowed in this weekend, including Irish scones (eaten with double Devon cream....which is clotted cream, isn't it? It's basically like a butter in a jar), quiche (made with heavy cream) and creme fraiche (my starter called for light whipping cream, but I just mixed a pint of heavy cream with a cup of half-and-half and called it a day) (this was so I could make homemade Ranch dressing as per another thread).

Mmmm....cream....

I’ve been trying my hardest to stay out of the cream conversation as I was having dreams of double Devon cream and Cornish clotted cream.

They are 2 completely different types of cream. Clotted cream is even thicker than the double Devon cream.

The clotted cream is what traditionally goes on scones, not double Devon.

When I lived in Cornwall we were able to get locally made clotted cream ice cream. The best ice cream ever.

Cream is my weakness, I can go without chocolate no problem; without cream, I’d cry.

I’m sure whipping cream is available in the UK, just don’t know how it is labeled. All the cakes I buy when visiting have whipped cream in them. (Visiting, so don’t get the opportunity to bake)

Cheers, h.

Wow 😮 clotted cream ice cream! It’s on my list,
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    The worst possible version has to be Bird's Dream Topping but I'm probably showing my age. The bitter disappointment, as a child, of being offered cream which turned out to be dream topping has never left me

urgh - gipping! my mum used to serve that up. #notcream

eta: I just remembered another brand of #notcream : Tip Top anyone else remember that particular crime against food?

I see your Dream Topping, and raise you Cool Whip :'(

Dream Whip topping mix (powder in packets) is pretty awful, and still - somewhat to my surprise - still available in the US. I remembered it from childhood, and thought it long gone - but just searched and found it's still made, and available at Walmart (among others). I won't be buying any.

I assume it's similar to what others are talking about, available in other places.
    INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PALM KERNEL OIL, DRIED CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE (EMULSIFIER), SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WATER, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), MODIFIED CELLULOSE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR INCLUDING YELLOW 5 AND YELLOW 6.

Yum? Not!

(Sorry about the shouty-caps: Came from the source site.)

Yum, full of goodness :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    On caffeine deprived brain I had to look up WOE. In this context, it’s not the Working On Excellence.

Other than pickles, ketchup and the like, how can processed foods be any more acidic than any other?

The three top preservatives before widespread refrigeration were salt, sugar, and vinegar. That’s why so many vintage recipes manage to use all three.

Sweet pickles. Salsas. Vinaigrette.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    On caffeine deprived brain I had to look up WOE. In this context, it’s not the Working On Excellence.

Other than pickles, ketchup and the like, how can processed foods be any more acidic than any other?

The three top preservatives before widespread refrigeration were salt, sugar, and vinegar. That’s why so many vintage recipes manage to use all three.

I'm starting to assume that WOE properly means Willfully Overlooking Evidence when used by certain people.

I will be adopting this into my MFP vernacular! :laugh:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,964 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

This is one of those extra magical diets. It doesn't matter whether the thing you eat is acidic, neutral or alkaline. Some acidic foods are actually alkalyzing to your body. Poof, magic!

Notably, the article Gale has linked is actually not too awful, and is on topic to the sub-thread. It kind of explains the magical theory, then talks about why it's dumb.

It concludes that the diet itself is likely to be good for you, because it includes lots of foods that are nutritious and healthful, but avoids foods that aren't terribly nutrient-dense and are commonly over-eaten. The rationale for the diet (according to the article) is pure *baby-feline*.

Missing kitten gif would go here ==>