124»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I keep misreading the title, Running in Water. :neutral:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I live in the frozen city that is known as 'Winterpeg'. Winnipeg, right in the center of Canada. Our winters are brutal, can expect temperatures of less than -20 C (-4F) for well over three months. Not rare to reach -30C for stretches of a week at a time.
    Pretty tough to run in that, especially when windy and cold. But on mild days, I love running outside. Dress in breathable wear cause I sweat way more than normal, and be careful with ice. Cover your face cause you may not feel cold, but can get frostbite with exposed skin

Hi riffraff2112 ..... I'm an hour north of you ! :)

In AB - 5 hours drive north of Edmonton.
    Like others we run all winter long. Some of the best Tips I can provide for those new to winter running.
    Layers, Layers, Layers.

All of your Clothing should have highly reflective markings and you might even want to invest in some LED Safety Lights/Flashers. Buy a good headlamp, a really good LED Headlamp with multiple brightness settings.

Until you get a good handle on Clothing versus Temperature - Keep a Clothing Log and record Temperature/Windchill/ Run Location/ Run Type and how you felt at Start, Mid Point and End. Cold, Warm, Hot.
    This will help you understand your Thermal Tolerance Range and best clothing options.

Plan your first winter runs so you can do Loops past a Safe Refuge, Car, House, Coffee shop etc.
    Car or House are better options as they allow you to make quick clothing adjustments. Shedding or adding as required.
    Gloves - ones that convert from Mitts to Gloves are wonderful as they give you 2 temperature options in one package.

Run with Friends or join a local running club as they are a good source of information and support.

I run in Trail Shoes in the winter with a Gore-Tex Outer to protect the feet from getting wet. I know some of my fellow runners who apply Duct Tape to the Top of their shoes to help keep the feet dry.
    Smart Wool Ski Socks Tall Models - Calf length to help keep the calf's nice and warm.

Tights are fantastic for Winter Running;
    Guys get over your phobias about tights - once you have used them you will wonder why it took you so long to get into them. There are different Weights of tights that will offer different Cold Weather protection. I have 2 light weight ( Spring/Fall Rating ) and one heavier Winter Rating plus 2 pairs of Hiking Wind shells that I use as clothing supplements when it gets really nasty.

Coats with Venting Zippers on the side - arm and back are worth the purchase.

Remember what works for me might leave you freezing cold.